Newb Milelage Charts - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #11
Registered Member

Needing tune-up

Really now? The distributor is new, along with plug wires and plugs. I think I saw an ignitor and coils in the paperwork too. No, no tune up. I drive it like I stole it most days. I'm in measured high 40's when I get to cruise it easy for the bulk of the tank range.

Southern California in general does not allow for really safe and efficient driving strategies. I get the high 40's when I drive off hours. Some of those numbers I posted include stop and go for an hour on the 405. Some include mountain passes.

I haven't had time to change out my tranny oil to a minimum viscosity yet. Right now using stock spec 10-30W dino. I'm sure straight 40 true synthetic would be better. All my smog numbers indicate a good state of tune, not to mention great performance. I'm still surprised how much get up and go my VX has when wound up.

doug victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:30 AM   #12
Registered Member

Since your car is a CA version, unless it has been modified it would not have the federal AOO ECU. And, therefore, no wideband LAF sensor. So if you're driving it without conservation in mind, I feel mid 40s mpg is about right. Replacing the IACV should help with mileage, because when in traffic that's where you're spending your time.

As for locating a CAT, try calling these guys: 916-638-3311 and ask for Matt.

Congratulations on your find. I understand your exhuberance.

soletek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:33 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug victor View Post
Really now? The distributor is new, along with plug wires and plugs. I think I saw an ignitor and coils in the paperwork too. No, no tune up. I drive it like I stole it most days. I'm in measured high 40's when I get to cruise it easy for the bulk of the tank range.

Southern California in general does not allow for really safe and efficient driving strategies. I get the high 40's when I drive off hours. Some of those numbers I posted include stop and go for an hour on the 405. Some include mountain passes.

I haven't had time to change out my tranny oil to a minimum viscosity yet. Right now using stock spec 10-30W dino. I'm sure straight 40 true synthetic would be better. All my smog numbers indicate a good state of tune, not to mention great performance. I'm still surprised how much get up and go my VX has when wound up.
Did you adjust valve lash? PCV valve? One member on here gained a few mpg by adjusting the valves.. You could also get the injectors rebuilt or high pressure cleaned off the car..
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #14
Registered Member

Valves are in spec as per honda tech who inspected it before the sale.

I noticed a real loss in FE when the shop I used for a brake flush overfilled the crankcase. They put in the specified amount of oil, but failed to drain it all the way. Instant loss of 5 mpg.

The injectors were replaced a few years ago with OEM parts, so I'm good there. My driving kills the high mileage numbers I should be getting.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #15
Registered Member

Doug,

Post some pics so I can drool.
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug victor View Post
Valves are in spec as per honda tech who inspected it before the sale.

I noticed a real loss in FE when the shop I used for a brake flush overfilled the crankcase. They put in the specified amount of oil, but failed to drain it all the way. Instant loss of 5 mpg.

The injectors were replaced a few years ago with OEM parts, so I'm good there. My driving kills the high mileage numbers I should be getting.
Well if it really is from your driving habits, then I guess you're fine. I just figured that since you're on this site, you'd be serious about improving your mileage. Just remember that if you drove conservatively, you might be able to eek out mileage in the 60s..
Old 04-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #17
Registered Member

Just playin,

I'm just playing here to learn about my VX because that's where my CAT search led me. FE tuning tips are good tuning tips generally speaking, and I can tell there are some gearheads here that offer really good info.

I suppose I fall into the category of hypermiler just by being aware of how all the small things affect mileage in general + the desire to tweak them. i don't track FE unless I go on trips in the car because it bums me out knowing I can do better. Trying 89 octane next tank after reading suggestions here.

I'll take some pics soon for the VX fanciers.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:40 PM   #18
Registered Member

Oh btw, 89 octane may very well be a waste assuming your engine is in top running condition when you consider that all Honda Civics from 1988-2005 have an Octane requirement of only 86.. Requires 86 octane yet most pumps are 87..
Old 04-28-2010, 12:37 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
there were a lot of dead prius' on craigslist a few years back. all they needed were batteries. maybe it has gotten better with time.
Don't know how accurate a survey of craigslist would be? Without going down and looking at the item yourself, a listing can have no grounding in reality. The dealer bounty for the battery is $200, but the nickle in them is actually worth more than that. Perhaps the listings were salvaged cars where the battery was already sold. Early Insights weren't as conservative of protecting the battery as they needed to be. It was possible to overdraw from it and kill it early

The Prius taxis ************* mentioned were the 1st gen model which was introduced in Japan in 1997. Premature battery deaths would have been news.
Besides, the battery is part of the emissions control equipment, and would be replaced under warranty if it died early. At 8yr/100k miles for the fed and 10yr/150k miles for Carb, a hybrid car manufacturer wants to avoid paying to cover it.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:12 PM   #20
Registered Member

Pics as promised

These are the views of the Civic VX 1993.