Official Thread for posting daily FE updates - Page 116 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-21-2006, 03:33 PM   #1151
FE nut

Quote:
also pump slowly and see what happens.
I always pump on the first notch when filling up. I learned the hard way early in my gas filling days that using the fastest notch can cause gas to spray everywhere when it gets full.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 06:33 PM   #1152
Supporting Member

theclencher -

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher
I oftentimes skip gears: 1, 2, 3, 5; or 1, 3, 5; or 1, 2, 4, 5; or 2,... if I do a rolling stop. Just depends on the traffic and terrain.
Same here, I have always skipped all over the place :

1-2-3-4-5 (normal)
1-3-5 (also normal)
2-4-5 (flat or slight downhill with no one behind me)
2-5 (same as above)
3-5 (greater downhill angle)

On any downhill, I can put the car in Neutral and wait for the car to coast into the range of the next gear.

I know that on the flat with infinite time, I can start the car from 3rd gear and maybe even 4th gear, but I haven't considered putting 4th to the test.

Manuals are fun!!!!

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 09:47 AM   #1153
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Ok got gas today while driving around checking out the Fall Foilage - pumped it slow - the SGII indicated that I had used 10.4 gallons and the gas was spilling on the ground at 9.745 gallons - either there was a big air bubble which I doubt or this pumping slow thing is really working - anyway another tank higher than the last tank for me. Got gas on my tire and hub cap dang it! I need a better filler over flow catch gutter!

Now what we need is more then the TOP TEN displayed or no one will ever get in it. Maybe the top 15!!! Or a catagory for Vans since my xB really isn't a car . . . .
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 01:27 PM   #1154
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
Ok got gas today while driving around checking out the Fall Foilage - pumped it slow - the SGII indicated that I had used 10.4 gallons and the gas was spilling on the ground at 9.745 gallons - either there was a big air bubble which I doubt or this pumping slow thing is really working - anyway another tank higher than the last tank for me. Got gas on my tire and hub cap dang it! I need a better filler over flow catch gutter!

Now what we need is more then the TOP TEN displayed or no one will ever get in it. Maybe the top 15!!! Or a catagory for Vans since my xB really isn't a car . . . .
GeoJan this came up in another thread about using the low fuel light for the refill. Looking at your gaslog it looks like you had two fills using the low fuel light. There is a difference of 2 gallons between the two. Was there something unusual on the fills that would explain the big disparity?
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 03:47 PM   #1155
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto
GeoJan this came up in another thread about using the low fuel light for the refill. Looking at your gaslog it looks like you had two fills using the low fuel light. There is a difference of 2 gallons between the two. Was there something unusual on the fills that would explain the big disparity?
On one trip I added 2 gallons from my Geo making it 12.007 gallons but it went on when I was at the gas station about to gas up and took 10.007 to fill it - this time it was 9.745 gallons and I drove about 10-12 miles before I gassed up AFTER the light came on and it took much less and I should have burnt about .25gallons or so more increasing it to at least 10.25 gallons or so but it was about .5gallons less than expected. Maybe due to pumping error from slow pumping . . . may have just gotten a free half gallon of gas!!
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:00 PM   #1156
DRW
Registered Member

New Personal Best!

I'm happy to report that I hit a new personal best mpg and best miles per tank when I filled up tonight. My previous best was 503 miles/39mpg. Tonight I got 571.4 miles and 13.727 gallons to fill it back up. That's 41.62MPG! I even bumped the car and let the shutoff click 4 times to make sure I wasn't cheating by underfilling the tank.

I have to thank everyone here at GasSavers. You've been a great motivation to me, and the changes I made to my car and driving habits made more of a difference than I expected. Now I'm looking at the 600 miles-per-tank goal, and it almost seems reasonable! I never woulda thought I'd be pushing for a 600 mile tank. I'll have to do some aero mods first, and maybe find some weight to take out, then look into the ECU a little more. I'm sure there's more FE buried somewhere in there.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:07 PM   #1157
Registered Member

Good job! :thumbsup:

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:00 PM   #1158
Supporting Member

More Good Times ...

Personal best today on the way HOME from work. Here's the info :

MPG : 42.5
Route : 105 East -> 710 North -> 10 East -> exit freeway -> North on Rosemead
Miles : 35.6
MPH Avg : 40
MPH Max : 68
Net Elevation change : ~788 feet up (+210 on freeway, +578 on streets)
Weather : 67+ degrees F, clear, less than 46% Humidity, 45 degrees F Dew Point
Time : ~7:30 PM to ~8:30 PM, ~55 minutes?

My previous best was 38.2. It must be the Pulse and Glide (the mild kind with engine idling), the change in the weather(?), and/or the SG recalibration for the correct fuel tank size.

The distance is greater going home because on the way home I count the streets because it's more of a challenge to preserve the MPG I have when I leave the freeway.

When I exited the freeway, I had about 46.6 MPG (best ever), and I lost at least 1 or 2 MPG at some stoplights that I don't know the timing for (Rosemead can be "Perfect Green" on rare occasion, but it was only medium rare tonight, ).

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:41 PM   #1159
Registered Member

The update-

10.1 gal
365.5mile
36.1 mpg

About average. It would have been a bit higher if it was warmer.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:35 PM   #1160
Registered Member

Hey, anything that's above your 90-day average is good.

I had the car rust-proofed today. 81 mpg round trip.

I'm aiming for a record fill-up this month - the SG is sitting at 85.x. But I haven't driven much in October (which is part of the record breaking plan: riding my bike a lot more to reduce the number of short trips with cold starts).

I'll top up on the weekend, with likely somewhere around 170-200 miles more on the odo since last month's gas station visit.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote