Official Thread for posting daily FE updates - Page 136 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2007, 04:26 PM   #1351
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
Fired up the Blackfly today after a couple of weeks of sitting.
MetroMPG, you haven't filled your Blackfly in nearly 2 months! How much longer can you stretch that tank?

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:37 PM   #1352
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
MetroMPG, you haven't filled your Blackfly in nearly 2 months! How much longer can you stretch that tank?

he rides a bike when possible and works from home so no work commute like alot of us.

LxMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:27 PM   #1353
Registered Member

LxMike's right - I don't use the car much. And despite the arrival of winter yesterday, I still rode the bike for one trip today.

You know that story about how if you put a frog in a pot of warm water and slowly turn up the heat, it won't notice? That's me, but in reverse. I would never have thought I'd ride my bike in -10C weather, but here I was doing it today. I guess I got used to it. (No wind though, and I rode slowly to keep the apparent wind low.)

I think I'll make it at least to sometime in February before I need to fill up again.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:07 PM   #1354
Registered Member

New fuel economy entry

I registered here a short while ago and I thought I'd jump into the fuel economy records with my smart.

Rather than registering the 135+ individual fills I have to date here individually, I entered the cumulative "to-date" distance (miles) and fuel used (USG). The detailed records are at spritmonitor, a German site that records mileage in L/100 km. Click on my signature's L/100 km icon if you want to see all the records.

So it's a bit under 61 US MPG, which apparently puts me into third place here, surprisingly!

I don't make too much of an effort to drive economically, and the car is not modified in any way to improve economy....in fact, the main modification is wider wheels and tires, which have the opposite effect, but they do make the roadholding a lot better than the skinny tires the car comes with. These double three spoke wheels ("strikelines") are original smart wheels, but are not available in Canada. Officially

Being a convertible, the top is often open, and so the highway fuel economy suffers as a result. But I don't care; I'm still in the first percentile for fuel economy compared to other locals. I use the heated seats and air conditioning a lot too (in fact it is fair to say that either the roof is open, or A/C is on, or the heated seats are on, or two of the above ---- but never A/C and roof at the same time).

I recently got a ScanGauge, which I am finding to be useful, but I am not going crazy trying to minimise fuel consumption. I also like the other features it has.
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupe Injection
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:10 PM   #1355
*shrug*

Darn, dropped a spot on the top ten.

Nice numbers though, especially for a non FE nut.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:14 PM   #1356
Registered Member

72.2 mpg (US) on a planned round trip today (10 km/6 mi). Which meant I could use the EBH for an hour before. Also it was mostly a rural trip, not sub/urban.

Whew. I was beginning to think I had lost it!
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:34 PM   #1357
DRW
Registered Member

I had hoped to get better FE on this last tank. I drive the same commute so I know how many miles I should have covered by the time the tank gets to each mark at 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4. It started out nicely for the first 1/4 tank, I hoped to carry it through until the tank was empty, but then the weather turned much colder for several days. The end result was merely on par with my 90 day average. I guess I can't complain; 38.2 mpg in suboptimal conditions is still good. I remember how excited I was when I hit 36 mpg for the first time. I bragged about it to my friends for weeks! Now 38 mpg is typical. Just wait until hypermile season kicks in!
Old 01-20-2007, 06:21 AM   #1358
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW View Post
I had hoped to get better FE on this last tank. I drive the same commute so I know how many miles I should have covered by the time the tank gets to each mark at 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4. It started out nicely for the first 1/4 tank, I hoped to carry it through until the tank was empty, but then the weather turned much colder for several days. The end result was merely on par with my 90 day average. I guess I can't complain; 38.2 mpg in suboptimal conditions is still good. I remember how excited I was when I hit 36 mpg for the first time. I bragged about it to my friends for weeks! Now 38 mpg is typical. Just wait until hypermile season kicks in!
Same with me. Had the best tank ever to 1/4 mark then 3 days of freezing rain and turned into a I'm happy with that.

That's a great tank with the weather. I was looking at gaslogs to see who has the least amount of noise. DRW you're one of the best as far as consistancy goes. Just looking at gaslogs varibility is proof enough that tank to tank testing is pretty much impossible.

I like you can not wait till it warms up to see what results will appear. Lots of folks are still improving in the winter. The top 10 list will be interesting( time for a new thread with perdictions).
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:45 AM   #1359
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
I registered here a short while ago and I thought I'd jump into the fuel economy records with my smart.

Rather than registering the 135+ individual fills I have to date here individually, I entered the cumulative "to-date" distance (miles) and fuel used (USG). The detailed records are at spritmonitor, a German site that records mileage in L/100 km. Click on my signature's L/100 km icon if you want to see all the records.

So it's a bit under 61 US MPG, which apparently puts me into third place here, surprisingly!

I don't make too much of an effort to drive economically, and the car is not modified in any way to improve economy....in fact, the main modification is wider wheels and tires, which have the opposite effect, but they do make the roadholding a lot better than the skinny tires the car comes with. These double three spoke wheels ("strikelines") are original smart wheels, but are not available in Canada. Officially

Being a convertible, the top is often open, and so the highway fuel economy suffers as a result. But I don't care; I'm still in the first percentile for fuel economy compared to other locals. I use the heated seats and air conditioning a lot too (in fact it is fair to say that either the roof is open, or A/C is on, or the heated seats are on, or two of the above ---- but never A/C and roof at the same time).

I recently got a ScanGauge, which I am finding to be useful, but I am not going crazy trying to minimise fuel consumption. I also like the other features it has.
Where did you buy a gasoline version of your car? Is it also turbocharged? I noticed your fuel log denotes diesel. Fill us in.
CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 11:09 AM   #1360
Registered Member

my smart cdi

My car ("Rana smartii") IS a diesel, that is all they sell in Canada at this time. The next generation car that we will get in the fall of 2007 (and Penske gets Stateside in early 2008) will be gasoline only. BTW that gasoline version has an EC fuel economy cycle result of 50 US MPG, so it's not all bad news.

So yeah, mine is a 799 cc three cylinder direct injection common-rail turbodiesel with a small intercooler. 41 HP at 4000 rpm and 74 lbs*ft at 1800-2800 rpm.

1966 Peugeot 404 Coupe Injection
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote