Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2007, 06:45 PM   #1511
Registered Member

You got it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
The longer you can stay on quiet streets, the better. So you can drive weird and not be under pressure to conform.
I completely agree. I love early Saturday mornings -- I know it's tough to get up early on a Saturday, but around here, you have the road to yourself to manage your hypermiling without the pressures of an angry mob.

As opposed to leaving leaving work in "Corporate Hell". First, I'm in a true cold-start situation at high-idle. Then I have to fight the Sprint HQ letting out, so coasting down the "warm-up hill" isn't an option. I'm forced to accelerate up hills at less-than-peak coolant temps, and then...Finally, out on the highway, temps are up as is FE -- but the initial hit is realized. If I get on the road by 6 am (ouch), I can modulate even better with thin traffic and an EBH start. Today I averaged 42.x mpg on the way into work, and low 30s on the way back. It is getting warmer, though! Yay! IATs are close to 80-100F - ideal.

RH77

Old 02-26-2007, 08:50 PM   #1512
Registered Member

I might have you beat in the horrible route to school, mine is 1.3 miles, with a 3 guaranteed stop signs on the way to school, and 2 on the way home. I do have the benefit of a good 100 foot drop in elevation, but the bottom of it is a hairpin corner listed at 15 mph. The route also takes me onto a somewhat busy highway, on the way to school I merge right where the speed limit changes to 30, so most vehicles are still traveling in excess of 45 mph. In winter bicycling/walking is far too cold/dangerous, not to mention they plow all the snow onto the sidwalk of the bridge (the only one that does not add extra miles to the commute) In the summer, the grueling up hill incline would bring any normal man into the nasty sweaty territory, and walking that far with my text books would have my knee throbbing all day.

I never really considered how bad of gas mileage I get around town with my car cold until I took it to my friends house today. The instantaneous mpg display showed zero, I checked the speed and fuel use, both were working, so i checked trip mpg, and it showed .4 mpg :-( I won't be getting any good tanks until summer it looks like.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:01 PM   #1513
Registered Member

0.4 miles per gallon!?! Are you honestly telling my your car slurped up an entire gallon of fuel after driving 700 yards? That's nuts!

I'd be interested to see a map of your commute, you should post it here.
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:53 AM   #1514
Registered Member

Just finished my 'new' commute going to school today

It was freaking freezing outside this morning: -22*C .

A full 0.6 GPH in 4th gear was required for the Geo to keep 27 mph on the first part of the commute and by the time I was merge onto the TC Highway from Assinaboine, 0.7 GPH was needed for my car to stay at 38 mph on the freeway in 5th gear.

SG reading once parked at school:
Trip FE - 42.9mpg
fWT - 135*F

This new route is most likely better for FE because my trip MPG was essentially the same as yesterday. However, it is much colder today (and I also floored the gas [0-25km/h in 1st gear, 25 - 50ish in 2nd, and then immediately skipped into 5th] after completing the right turn onto Assinaboine Ave. Partly because of higher volume traffic and mostly because I wanted the engine to generate some heat! So freaking cold!).

Also, the new commute was considerably less hectic than the normal rat race on the other route. I only had to stop for one red light and 2 stop signs today.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:05 AM   #1515
Registered Member

Same MPG in much colder weather = definitely better route. What was the temp yesterday on the old route?
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:30 AM   #1516
Registered Member

Quote:
Same MPG in much colder weather = definitely better route. What was the temp yesterday on the old route?
I'm not sure what the temperature was yesterday, but I just drove home after class (temp now is -13*C) using the same route I came:

SG trip - 48.1 mpg
fWT - 163*F

The sun was nice to warm my car (well enough for a heavily bundled-up person) when it was parked, so I left the heater off. A few more EOCs on the way home because of one more traffic light and I did 40-42mph (0.7 GPH) on the TC Highway . Noon-hour traffic was not impressed with me.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:22 PM   #1517
Registered Member

I have gone 200 miles and am at 1/2 tank. So, hopefully this tank will be around 40mpg.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:26 PM   #1518
Registered Member

Best round trip MPG today: 81.6 mpg (US). Also the warmest day so far this month @ +2C. Coincidence? Methinks not.

The car just feels like it can glide forever compared to when temps are at -10.

Is it possible/practical to repack all 4 wheel bearings with synthetic grease?
Old 02-27-2007, 01:38 PM   #1519
FE nut

Quote:
Best round trip MPG today: 81.6 mpg (US). Also the warmest day so far this month @ +2C. Coincidence? Methinks not.

The car just feels like it can glide forever compared to when temps are at -10.

Is it possible/practical to repack all 4 wheel bearings with synthetic grease?
I think that would be very possible.

Today was a good day. Temps started at ~28F and ended up at ~35F. Today was one of the days that I have some extra driving ie., taking my daughter to voice lessons.
Segment 1) 45.6-5.8 miles
2) 59.3-9.6 miles
3) 60.1-9.6 miles
4) 66.2-6.3 miles
5) 64.1-5.5 miles
6) 71.7-5.5 miles
7) 71.0-4.8 miles
8) 65.0-4.8 miles
After 51.4 miles at an average of 29 mph, the day ended at 60.7 for an average.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:05 PM   #1520
Registered Member

I'll have to keep an eye out for synthetic grease next time I'm at the parts store. Could probably use some for the ForkenSwift too.

Today: 80.2 mpg (US) round trip, -4C, 2 EBH assisted starts.

Tomorrow's my last day looking after the house which has been requiring this daily "commute".