Official Thread for posting daily FE updates - Page 126 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2006, 05:39 AM   #1251
Registered Member

Blah. The Flea's FE sucks on the open highway.

Went to the electric car association meeting in Ottawa last evening: 60.5 mpg (US) round trip in rain on the way there and a stiff side-wind on the way back. 38 mph avg speed, about 160 miles, maybe 80/20 highway driving / heavy traffic & city driving. Tried to DWL as best I could on the open road, slowed the speed way down in the outskirts where there was no traffic.

Temps were about 4* C avg. Alternator was connected for the full trip.

This is also likely my first taste of straight winter fuel this year, after yesterday's fill-up (70.x mpg over 550 miles).

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:06 AM   #1252
Registered Member

I just realized it's funny to say 60 mpg sucks. 60mpgsucks.com!

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:23 AM   #1253
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Yeah Friend went from a small Ford pickup truck (Old Ranger I think) to a 2006 Chevy Equinox LS AWD says it gets good mileage (yeah 19/25) and he doesn't drive it much only around town and trips to MAINE !! ! 20 gallon tank I think too KA-CHINGE!
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:03 AM   #1254
DRW
Registered Member

"says it gets good mileage (yeah 19/25)"

I hear that sometimes, too. They say,'It gets good mileage, about 23mpg!' They have no idea.

I took a long trip in a rented Nissan XTerra last winter. It had AWD, big+thick roof rack, large snow tires, auto tranny, and the big V6. I drove through one whole tank all on the freeway at 65 mph and got 23 mpg. When I drove 70 mph, freeway only, it got 17mpg, and I could feel the torque converter unlock frequently. I didn't dare try 75mph.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:47 PM   #1255
Registered Member

I also frequent a muscle car site- there are people that brag about getting 12 mpg. I've also heard the same brag at car shows (always by redneck young males).

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:50 PM   #1256
Supporting Member

12mpg on a cars that ordinaririly gets 6-8mpg is pretty damn good though.
budomove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 01:46 PM   #1257
FE nut

Today was a good day. :-) The temperature started out this morning at ~50+F. I decided to EOC on the first leg of the trip so I could see some good numbers before the temps go completely downhill later this week. The trip to the wife's work was 45.2. Hopefully Santa will bring me a block heater for Christmas. From the wife's work to my work was 51.6. The temperature rose to a high of 64F for the trip to pick up the wife at work this afternoon and, along with a slight tailwind, I was able to pull off a 60.5. From her work to our house(back into the previously mentioned tailwind :-( ) was 55.8. On Tuesday's, I have to go pick my daughter up at her school so we can get to her voice lessons. The trip from home to the school is about 5 miles + or - and I was able to get 56.4 going into a slight headwind. From the school back home(tailwind :-) ), I managed a 74.4 :woot: From home to the lessons, I got 72.4 and on the way back I got 59.2. The weather forecast for here is saying that temps will take a dive from our present 60+ to highs in the upper 40's on Thursday and down to low to mid 30's all the up to next week. I think I may top off my tank tomorrow night so I can have one last 50+ tank until spring. :-(

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:34 PM   #1258
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmcneal
thank me as I found that quote from an S2000 guy... then that same guy put me down for driving the way I do... damn why the **** do I get so many flames for just having my tire pressures at 60 psi?

haha i knew you'd be able to get 70 consistantly, those tires DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE I don't care what people say!
Higher tire pressures do make a difference...the question is : how high is too high? When the sun beats down...then you drive fast (tire flex, tread squirm), on that road that has been cooking in the afternoon sun... Where does your early AM pressure end up? 40 psi doesn't seem too high, but 60? Hmmm....Whatever works, but I think the law of diminishing returns enters here.... IMHO, of course!
Ted Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:42 PM   #1259
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher
I also frequent a muscle car site- there are people that brag about getting 12 mpg. I've also heard the same brag at car shows (always by redneck young males).
Do you not get the impression most people get less mileage than they could ever claim to get? I know my work with MPG computers has opened my eyes to conditions which destroy MPG! Like standing water on a wet highway...or traffic. Or a fresh wax job! LOL! But I constantly hear "Oh, I get around XX MPG!" Right! Going downhill with a tailwind...maybe!I just byte(!) my lip!
Ted Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 01:16 PM   #1260
Registered Member

New tank record for me 33.0 MPG. I believe most of the increase is from the EBH. That's the only thing I've changed for that tank. I'll try another driving technique this tank and see if I can keep the increase going although the cold weather this week will probably zap it. Man it sucks not having instantaneous FE feedback It like going back to the stone age. basjoos you're really doing an incredable job.

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote