Official Thread for posting daily FE updates - Page 138 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-23-2007, 02:18 PM   #1371
Registered Member

Not-so-good 52.9 mpg (US) today (weather & "rush hour" traffic - really more like half an hour here).

Bites driving in the snow - especially when you try to clutch start and the wheels just slide instead of starting the engine

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:05 PM   #1372
Registered Member

Just filled the Chevy today. 15.88 mpg isn't too bad for a 5.7L V8 and 4100 lbs. Heck, it's not even at the very bottom of the list (although extremely close).

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:39 PM   #1373
Registered Member

220 miles of driving in the rain and 50 miles with a 30mph headwind, dropped the mileage on this tank down to 63mpg. Got stopped by another curious town cop, this time in Greenwood. This reason given for stopping me was that he couldn't see my license plate easily. I'm starting to recognise the pattern. They pull me over for some trivial reason, check out my license and registration, and then when they hand back my documents, they ask me what all of the stuff on the car is for. No ticket, no warning, just curiousity, which is fine with me.

My car will be off the road for a few days to a week. The voltage regulator has gradually been getting flakier over the past few weeks, coming to a head these past two days. The voltage regulator is part of the alternator, so I have a new alternator on order. The existing alternator was a rebuilt unit that I installed 2 years ago, but obviously the rebuilding didn't extend to the voltage regulator board.

In the meanwhile, I 'll be hypermiling my farm truck, a 97 F150 V6 5 speed, 4x4, long bed. I ran the tires up to 50psi (front), 44psi (rear), and blocked off the upper and lower grill intakes (there is still a 1/2" wide gap where the top of the bumper meets the sheet metal). It used to coast just slightly worse than my stock Civic, but now it seems like a real slug compared to my aero Civic, with downhill terminal velocities 10-15 mph less than my Civic and coasting distances about 1/2 to 1/3 that of the Civic. I've gotten up to 26mpg out of it in local driving in the summer. It'll be interesting to see what it will do following the same driving regime I do with the Civic (except I can't coast anywhere near as many places enroute with it as I do the Civic).
Old 01-23-2007, 05:40 PM   #1374
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
You need a sign that says "Extreem Mileage Test Vehicle" and your web page address on the back of the car.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:53 PM   #1375
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
Just filled the Chevy today. 15.88 mpg isn't too bad for a 5.7L V8 and 4100 lbs. Heck, it's not even at the very bottom of the list (although extremely close).
Oh my! looks like I've got some competition!

Right now the big car is sitting on the lawn, I'm not exactly sure whats wrong with it, but it refuses to start. If I use a bit of starter fluid it starts, and dies about 3 times before running fine. I'm suspecting ECT sensor.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:40 PM   #1376
FE nut

Today started out ~22F. Since I've been parking in my garage that's heated to 45-50F, I decided I may as well start P&G right away. Today, I also started trying to limit my TPS to a max of 10 and it looks like it may have helped. This morning's trip to the wife's work was 51.2 and from there to my work was 53.3. This afternoon the temp was up to 26F and the trip to pick up the wife was into a 10-15 mph headwind and I had to work it hard to get 50.7. From there back home the tailwind was good for 56.7. If the trip from her work to home was as long as from my work to hers, I may have been able to crack 60.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:34 PM   #1377
Registered Member

That's very impressive for a Saturn!
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupe Injection
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:34 AM   #1378
Registered Member

First Tank over EPA

I finally broke EPA rating. A 52MPG+ tank. I know it wasn't just a "short fill" because gas shot out all over my pants when it clicked off.

https://www.cardomain.com/ride/2452824

GasSavers_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:38 AM   #1379
Registered Member

Awesome. What are you doing differently? Your last 4 tanks are nicely above your rolling average.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:43 AM   #1380
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Awesome. What are you doing differently? Your last 4 tanks are nicely above your rolling average.
Most of the the change I would atribute to change in route. I stopped taking my kids to school so I can now go a much freindlier way back up the mountain. I also changed my highway speed from 58ish to 68ish. My car just didnt seem to be running "right" up hills (now hills I mean 1+ mile mountain climbs on the interstate) at 50 to 55 speeds. Very boggie and needed alot of peddle to maintain speed. At 65 I can maintain speed with no additional peddle. I know I know I really really need a scangauge but still not in the budget.

My last tank I was much better at maintaining my "new speed" and not forgetting and going back to bog down speed.

But so far so good.

https://www.cardomain.com/ride/2452824

GasSavers_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote