Oil amount in civic VX for FE? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

Oil amount in civic VX for FE?

Ok so i have little pickle here. I've had a oil change and place that did put in amount of oil that on measuring stick was 1cm/10mm or 3/8 of inch higher then high mark on dipstick after engine running for a minute or so. On cold was much higher too. Me freaking out reading about how bad it is with overfilling for engine went to them to drain. So they gave me brand new oil change but put in 3.0q leaving oil filter and rest of the oil that is in there in, possibly 0.3q in oil filter. On their oil pump it tells them amount electronically . So I let the car rest and then started engine for a minute and oil dipstick is now 75% of full amount. They had in their manuals that it takes 3.5q on VX so my question is is oil dipstick inaccurate tool to measure oil? I now will have to add little oil myself but question another questions is how much oil on dipstick and in quarts you guys run in your VX and what is good amount for fuel economy? I've seen someone here on forum running only 3.0q on his hypermiller?

sebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Registered Member

Re: Oil amount in civic VX for FE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebass View Post
Ok so i have little pickle here. I've had a oil change and place that did put in amount of oil that on measuring stick was 1cm/10mm or 3/8 of inch higher then high mark on dipstick after engine running for a minute or so. On cold was much higher too. Me freaking out reading about how bad it is with overfilling for engine went to them to drain. So they gave me brand new oil change but put in 3.0q leaving oil filter and rest of the oil that is in there in, possibly 0.3q in oil filter. On their oil pump it tells them amount electronically . So I let the car rest and then started engine for a minute and oil dipstick is now 75% of full amount. They had in their manuals that it takes 3.5q on VX so my question is is oil dipstick inaccurate tool to measure oil? I now will have to add little oil myself but question another questions is how much oil on dipstick and in quarts you guys run in your VX and what is good amount for fuel economy? I've seen someone here on forum running only 3.0q on his hypermiller?
I always use the dipstick. Different filters can hold different amounts, so the manual is not always right. I change my filter every time I change my oil. I think it took close to 4 quarts to fill mine using the larger NAPA gold 1334 filter.

IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you Fetch. So what does you dipstick show you level wise? They did change filter about 1000m ago but they overfilled so instead of letting the oil out guy decided give me new oil so he pumped 2.95q into engine so when she cold it's little over full but when you start her for a minute, which is my understanding how to check levels should be done, then she has about 75% of full mark on dipstick. So i'm not sure what level she should be filled up with and if i should check her after minute of run or cold?
sebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:20 AM   #4
Registered Member

I always check my oil with the engine stone cold. That's the only way you will get an accurate reading. If you check it with the engine running or just having been shut off, a good portion of the oil will not have returned to the oil pan yet. It will still be doing its job lubricating the various engine parts. You will not know how much oil is really in the engine.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980

go by the dipstick. as long as it's between the marks on the dipstick it's fine. +/-.05 qt doesn't matter. 1cm is quite a bit on that small of an engine be off but I've been that far with no perceptible problems, albeit o a larger and higher oil capacity engines.

the amount you can run over depends on the engine too, till the crankshaft hits it generally but that depends on how far the crank is from the oil level. Some mercedes turn a light on the dash on if it's 1/4 qt over (found that out the hard way)
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote