Old Insight more green than an Electric Car? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
Registered Member

Old Insight more green than an Electric Car?

I was trolling fueleconomy.gov and I stumbled upon an interesting addition to the site that has been there for who knows how long. Now I can't confirm the accuracy of the data and I will be e-mailing them for more information but until then, I'd like people to look this over and ponder the question about how a Fully electric Rav-4 have more Co2 emissions than a Honda Insight! (Old one) I found it amusing to the see the 104mpg combine on the Rav4 but was confused to find out that it actually produces more Co2 than the Insight.

imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:38 PM   #2

Thats an interesting question seeing how right above the CO2 estimate they say that it only consumes 0.4 barrels of oil vs 6.5 barrels for the Insight. Hmmm.

dieselbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:34 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Well, if you think about it, the e-Rav4 still needs more energy to drive than the old Insight. Larger, probably weighs twice as much, probably uses a lot more power, and has much more aerodynamic drag.

I'd guess that the EPA figures its oil and CO2 numbers based on coal power plants, which would mean little oil usage (and probably much CO2 production).
Old 11-16-2009, 08:38 AM   #4
Registered Member

Have or more of electricity generation in the US is coal, so the EPA likely assumed that was the source for the EV Rav4. Any EV charged on coal power will produce more CO2 than a gas counterpart. Now if you make your own through solar or wind, or live in an area that doesn't use coal, then the CO2 will be lower or even zero.

Are they using gasoline equivalents for the RAV4 on that site?
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
Have or more of electricity generation in the US is coal, so the EPA likely assumed that was the source for the EV Rav4. Any EV charged on coal power will produce more CO2 than a gas counterpart. Now if you make your own through solar or wind, or live in an area that doesn't use coal, then the CO2 will be lower or even zero.

Are they using gasoline equivalents for the RAV4 on that site?
They HAVE gasoline equivalents for the Rav4 on that site, but to say the numbers are of that vehicle would be wildly incorrect seeing as how I was looking at the old Rav4 first before finding the option to select Rav4 EV.
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
Any EV charged on coal power will produce more CO2 than a gas counterpart.
no
dieselbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I think trollbait was right. It takes X amount of energy to drive the vehicle, whether electric or gasoline powered. If that was all there was to it, then the CO2 would probably be about the same.

However, there is waste. I suspect that the waste involved in transmitting, storing, and then using the electricity is a pretty hefty loss.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:38 AM   #8
Registered Member

Fine print from the bottom of the page:

"The carbon footprint measures greenhouse gas emissions expressed in CO2 equivalents. The estimates presented here are "full fuel-cycle estimates" and include the three major greenhouse gases emitted by motor vehicles: carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide, and methane. Full fuel-cycle estimates consider all steps in the use of a fuel, from production and refining to distribution and final use. Vehicle manufacture is excluded. (U.S. Department of Energy, GREET Model 1.7, Argonne National Laboratory)"

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote