Old Tires, Higher RR? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2007, 08:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

Old Tires, Higher RR?

I am currently driving on my 3.5 year old OEM tires with 40000 miles on them. They are not down to the wear bars, but are lower than I like to go. I have been putting off getting new tires because I am concerned that new tires will make my gas mileage drop due to the greater tread depth of new tires. BUT, I am wondering if it is possible/ probable/ likely that somehow the old tires have gotten stiffer as they have aged, maybe causing their RR to be higher than when they were new. Anyone think that it is possible/ probable/ likely?

Old 05-23-2007, 08:39 AM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
I am currently driving on my 3.5 year old OEM tires with 40000 miles on them. They are not down to the wear bars, but are lower than I like to go. I have been putting off getting new tires because I am concerned that new tires will make my gas mileage drop due to the greater tread depth of new tires. BUT, I am wondering if it is possible/ probable/ likely that somehow the old tires have gotten stiffer as they have aged, maybe causing their RR to be higher than when they were new. Anyone think that it is possible/ probable/ likely?
2 other possibilities to think about:
1. Your worn tires have lost rotational mass because you've worn them donw.
2. Its very possible new tires would be more efficient and lighter with regards to FE.

I would replace the tires if they need to be replaced. Unless they are say for example super sticky high performance tires, and you don't drive like that.

bbgobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:45 AM   #3
Registered Member

I don't think that you are going to see enough of a drop in mileage, by putting on new tires, to be worth fiddling with. If you'd feel more comfortable with new tires and greater tread depth, then I would suggest getting them. It's worth the peace of mind.
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:11 AM   #4
Registered Member

Takes a lot of MPG to pay the insurance deductible...and I am not sure that any amount of extra MPG is worth your life or health. Get new tires (sensible) before you hit a good puddle!

McIntyre's First Law: "Under the right circumstances, anything I tell you may be wrong."

O'Brien's First Corollary to McIntyre's First Law: "I don't know what the right circumstances are, either."

rvanengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:45 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Just get LRR tires. Lots of tread, high 51 psi max rating and the RR would have to be better then 4 year old technology even if they are wore out.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:45 AM   #6
Registered Member

But Randall, I don't want to drag the Leftover Bananas down. :-)

Okay, you guys convinced me. I'll do it within the next few weeks... Thanks for helping me do the right thing. Good tires are the cheapest insurance you can buy.

The Long Trail TAs are supposed to be low RR according to Greenseal way back when. Maybe they will be a noticeable improvement... Hey, I can dream, can't I?
Old 05-23-2007, 05:15 PM   #7
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
i think as tires get older the contact patch shrinks. as that happens there is less friction.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:23 PM   #8
Registered Member

The Prius comments I've read suggest that people notice replacement LRR tires of the same brand/size etc. have more RR than the old tires. But they also say the tires break in, and get better within a few 1000 miles.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:28 PM   #9
Registered Member

I had some old really crappy worn out performance tires on my car when I first got it. They were shot, like crayons slippery as a banana. I got new all season fairly cheap tires to replace them, and my MPG dropped about 2 mpg or so. I didn't calculate as accurately as I do now, but it was noticeably less miles per tank. Of course mine was almost a worst case scenario. So YMMV!
Old 05-23-2007, 06:15 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
But they also say the tires break in, and get better within a few 1000 miles.
Thanks for trying to cheer me up. :-)