% Over EPA Frequency Distribution - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-13-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
Registered Member

% Over EPA Frequency Distribution

Was curious what the spread of the percentage over EPA data would be in the garage. The mean value is 20.52% and the standard deviation is 23.62%. Frequency counts are of the data rounded to the nearest percent.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
Registered Member

Hard for me to say. Neither of mine have EPA/EIA/CAFE/whatever the hell acronym ratings...

'09 Harley Nightster - 48mpg and 1/4 miles in the 12's
jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:21 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilian View Post
Was curious what the spread of the percentage over EPA data would be in the garage. The mean value is 20.52% and the standard deviation is 23.62%. Frequency counts are of the data rounded to the nearest percent.

Percent over WHAT EPA? OLD, NEW, CAFE? Which one???
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:29 AM   #4
Registered Member

http://www.gassavers.org/garage/viewall/epa

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 06-16-2009, 12:31 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
That's not very useful because the "EPA" values people put into the garage for their vehicles isn't consistent and sometimes are downright lies and or fooling around.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:33 AM   #6
Registered Member

Yes, but it's the data I had available to me.

co de pen den cy

Old 06-16-2009, 03:20 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
That's not very useful because the "EPA" values people put into the garage for their vehicles isn't consistent and sometimes are downright lies and or fooling around.
Well I'm glad, since the chart shows gasoline powered cars only, that you weren't making personal reference to me.
I specifically asked before entering the engine swap white wagon (Kyoto Camel too) which EPA rating I should use: the gasoline one as the car was built, or a diesel one as I re-constructed it. The advice was to use the gasoline value. No lie, and no fooling.
That one is now retired, but I'm building another conversion and that one will also be listed here under its original gasoline, "as-built" condition using the current EPA value.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:06 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, but it's the data I had available to me.
Theoretically (albiet time consuming) you could collect the MPG from readings from people(via the website), the EPA MPG ratings for their vehicles(from fueleconomy.gov) and then calculate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
I specifically asked before entering the engine swap white wagon (Kyoto Camel too) which EPA rating I should use: the gasoline one as the car was built, or a diesel one as I re-constructed it. The advice was to use the gasoline value. No lie, and no fooling.
That one is now retired, but I'm building another conversion and that one will also be listed here under its original gasoline, "as-built" condition using the current EPA value.
Eh, that's stupid. If there is an EPA rating for the engine you're putting in, then I'd take the EPA rating from the car it was once in and use that as my basis for calculation. I mean sure things can get sticky when you're taking a diesel engine from a really unaerodynamic vehicle and putting it in a slow aerodynamic vehicle where you don't know where to attribute what to what but aside from that, if you're putting an engine from a car that clearly gets better mileage into your car which gets less mileage, then it is only fair to use the rating from which you stole the engine from. i.e. if I take an engine from a Civic VX and put it into a Civic Sedan, I should use the VX rating when calculating my MPG rating.

I'd say the whole point of any of these modifications is that we end up with vehicles on the whole with better, not worse mileage. IMO if you're going to swap in an engine, take an engine that was dumped out by its owner (unwanted) opposed to taking an engine from a perfectly working and efficient car and putting it into your less efficient.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:38 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
Theoretically (albiet time consuming) you could collect the MPG from readings from people(via the website), the EPA MPG ratings for their vehicles(from fueleconomy.gov) and then calculate it.
Even better, you could do it!

co de pen den cy

Old 06-16-2009, 05:53 AM   #10
Registered Member

Ummm so when I swap the 3.0V6 that's in Marvin for the rebuilt spare 3.0V6 that happened to come out of a (junked) Dodge Shadow rather than a minivan, I should go by the car's EPA figures?

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote