Ozone...... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-23-2007, 06:59 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Raccoonjoe Send a message via MSN to Raccoonjoe Send a message via Yahoo to Raccoonjoe
Ozone......

The "magic spark plug" thread gave me the link I've been searching for.....

http://fueleconomytips.com/2005/11/0...one-generator/

Basically, this guy is saying that you can pull the ozone (created inside the distributor cap) into a vacuum line, and that this ozone will increase efficiency. Any ideas whether this would work?? Or is it just as hokey as it sounds??

Old 07-23-2007, 07:55 AM   #2
Registered Member

Theoretically, but no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoonjoe View Post
The "magic spark plug" thread gave me the link I've been searching for.....

http://fueleconomytips.com/2005/11/0...one-generator/

Basically, this guy is saying that you can pull the ozone (created inside the distributor cap) into a vacuum line, and that this ozone will increase efficiency. Any ideas whether this would work?? Or is it just as hokey as it sounds??
From what I understand, ozone (or O3) offers more oxygen for the combustion, but the miniscule amount wouldn't do much. Engine oxidiation can occur, damaging engine components. Hydrogen runs along the same principle (but I've yet to see an improvement and engine longevity argument for either). The change in FE is likely due to a vaccum leak.

Check out an old Thread on the subject.

RH77

Old 07-23-2007, 08:15 AM   #3
Registered Member

The ozone inside the cap is created from the oxygen in the air, so you aren't really adding more oxygen. You are just adding it in a more reactive form. The amount of ozone generated would be reeeeeeaaalllly small compared to your total O2 consumption.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:50 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Raccoonjoe Send a message via MSN to Raccoonjoe Send a message via Yahoo to Raccoonjoe
Interesting read, rh77. However, I did not see any actual results, just a bunch of speculation. Guess I need to look for the old dizzy cap I pulled off and give it a whirl.

Also, is this true about the ozone being corrosive to aluminum?? I'm reasonably sure that AMC used cast blocks/heads....there's not a lot of aluminum in my motor. Does this mean I don't need to worry about it??
Old 07-23-2007, 10:17 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoonjoe View Post
Interesting read, rh77. However, I did not see any actual results, just a bunch of speculation. Guess I need to look for the old dizzy cap I pulled off and give it a whirl.

Also, is this true about the ozone being corrosive to aluminum?? I'm reasonably sure that AMC used cast blocks/heads....there's not a lot of aluminum in my motor. Does this mean I don't need to worry about it??
Can't hurt to try it. The only aluminum parts we have is the intake manifold. Everything is pretty much cast iron. I think you still have steel pistons too.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:59 PM   #6
ELF
Registered Member

I read up on that but, I am wondering, when you suck air through the distrib. cap it is unfiltered, so you are sucking dirty air into your engine. Plus I can not believe that such a small amount of ozone could change your mpg.