Picked up a Cobalt XFE tonight. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2008, 07:51 PM   #1
Registered Member

Picked up a Cobalt XFE tonight.

Through a business connection with my wife was able to get a great deal on a Chevy Cobalt XFE and just couldn't let it pass.

My Chrystler LHS is still running and I think I got fixed what was causing it to die just as it warmed up as it hasn't done it in 2 or 3 days now but I'm not sure exactly what to do with it.

I could donate it and get a decent tax write off, selling it would get me $500 tops. Was even thinking of giving it to a golf driving range to be one of the cars they just set out there and hit balls at.

I was thinking of doing some experiments with it on hypermiling since it's damn near worthless anyways but wouldn't be able to do that for a good 6 months till my house is finished being built (they havn't even started yet) and I have a garage to work in and place to store things.

Anyways....on to the good news. Tire pressure at stock 35psi (tire sensors), 75 miles driving (80/20 highway/city), light P&G but no EOC, have averaged 42.5 mpg so far.

Figure once I break the car in and get the tire pressure up a bit I'll be able to turn in 45 mpg tanks or better.

Fr3AkAzOiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
DRW
Registered Member

Very impressive!
I'm eager to hear more about the Cobalt XFE. What's it like?

Old 07-12-2008, 08:29 PM   #3
Registered Member

IF you've got the LHS with twin throttle bodies, you could try blocking one off, taking off the linkage, or wedging a tennis ball in it one side, and pulling the injector wires in that bank and seeing how it drives around on 3 cylinders. 107Hp should still be enough to pull it around I would have thought, won't be no moonrocket of course.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:23 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I predict you'll get 50, not 45, with the same driving once it's broken in and the tires are aired up.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:35 AM   #5
Registered Member

Congrats on the new ride. The Cobalt XFE's seem be doing really well. I am glad that GM is starting to get the message!

hybriDatsun350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:26 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
IF you've got the LHS with twin throttle bodies, you could try blocking one off, taking off the linkage, or wedging a tennis ball in it one side, and pulling the injector wires in that bank and seeing how it drives around on 3 cylinders. 107Hp should still be enough to pull it around I would have thought, won't be no moonrocket of course.

gnarly!
mini-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
Registered Member

congrats on your new purchase. I think it will get close to 50mpg as theholycow suggested. I have a 3000gt vr4 and my mechanic said i could run the car on 3 cylinders just fine. He said he disabled one bank to isolate a problem and it just ran smooth and drove fine(it was another 3000gt non turbo). You could try it on your LHS and see what happens.
1cheap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:06 PM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
But it's still an Ecotec
Old 07-13-2008, 05:47 PM   #9
Registered Member

how much did you get it for since you said you got a deal on it?
civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:13 PM   #10
Registered Member

50 mpg would be nice but I doubt I'm going to EOC with a new car, just P&G and pump up tires to just under max so I'm still thinking 45+ but 50 may be a stretch.

Paid $12,8XX for the car + taxes and tags. Just got the base model with about $250 in options. Was about $1K under what the Chevrolet website lists as the MSRP.

Fr3AkAzOiD is offline   Reply With Quote