Planning a trip! help! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2007, 12:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

Planning a trip! help!

so me and 3 friends are traveling to kansas from western PA, I figure its going to take us 6 tanks of gas there and back...we are going to drive a 95 Jeep cherokee classic....does anyone have any tricks to help with gas milage? I'm planning on using "driving tactics", but what about adding acetone? how much should I add? does it work? is there anything else that'll help?

Gibson Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:48 PM   #2
*shrug*

Use one of your other friend's cars.

But really. I'm not sold on acetone, I don't think it does anything...But everyone seems to have adifferent answer on that.

Drive more slowly and air up your tires plenty, you can also do a few aero mods if you desire. Poke around and you'll find some good tips.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
Registered Member

what would blockin' off the grill do? would that save enough? and doesn't this inhibit the radiator from cooling properly? or am I wrong?
Gibson Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:52 PM   #4
Registered Member

If it's warm enough it will.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:52 PM   #5
*shrug*

It would reduce drag.

Not usually. You need to find a balance...radiators are usually over-engineered,
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:00 PM   #6
Registered Member

SVOboy is right, find another vehicle, if you can. If you can't, do the grill block, inflate the tires, slow down, keep a steady foot on the throttle, let the car lose or gain a little speed as you go up or down smaller hills and drive careful. On the grill block, unless your towing or something you can probably do something and get some boost to your mileage, without affecting the engine cooling. However you need to have the driver keep a closer eye on the engine temperature and if it starts to go up, open the grill block some more. The grill block works, but it isn't worth cooking the engine for.

And have a good trip!
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:07 PM   #7
Supporting Member

slow down dont be goin 80 because that will kill fe. 55mph is around the best fe anything above that is cutting into you fe.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:15 PM   #8
Registered Member

Drive a different car. I doubt that you are going to be doing alot of off-roading when you get to Kansas. The Jeep is one of the worst cars on the road for FE.
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:20 PM   #9
Driving on E

even if you slow down to 70mph you'd notice huge savings.

acetone was kind of the "tickle me elmo" of fuel economy for a while. Everyone wanted to do it... everyone claimed it was awesome, and then everyone just put it in the trash after their kid didn't want it two weeks after christmas.

Inflate the tires properly, get a tune-up, and slow down. I like to stay at 65mph on road trips, but that isn't always viable.

oh, and SVOBoy is right. Radiators are built for the worst case scenario, much like prenuptial agreements. you don't really need them, but just in case... you get the idea. Most people have had luck by covering most of their radiator but leaving a little space for some air to get in.

Oh, and welcome to the site... pickin' ain't easy, eh?
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:23 PM   #10
Registered Member

no hummer is!

lol but yea, take a differet car unless you feel that noone has another reliable car to take. but speed and tire psi i would go for. you would have to do a buttload of aeromods to make essentially a tall box more aerodynamic.
if it has cruise set it and leave it. let it do its thing. if it slows down on long grades let it. float somewhat near a semi. you dont have to be inches behind it to notice a gain.

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote