premium gas a bargain - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
Registered Member

premium gas a bargain

with gas prices here of 4.57 for regular and 4.77 for premium, that is a difference of 4.5 % since premium will allow more advanced timing without pinging, will mpg gains be bigger than 5%? if so, premium can be a bargain.

mikehallbackhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:49 PM   #2
Registered Member

Last fill here yesterday, it was $3.789 for regular.

I use the cheapest gas I can find, usually from one station.

Wife uses regular even though her Murano recommends premium.

She averages 21.8 MPG rated 20-24 I think.

I do find it humerous you consider gas a bargain at that price.

Only one way to prove which is the better choice, try both with precise fuel mileage maeausrements. Cars designed to use regular will probably not do better. That being said on my 06 Corolla the best tank I ever got was 39.5 MPG, all highway on mid range fuel without alcohol.

regards
gary

Old 06-06-2008, 05:21 PM   #3
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
it all depends on the car. some will get worse with the higher octanes.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:00 PM   #4
Registered Member

okay, I should of been more specific, on vehicles that you can adjust the timing, more octane allows for more advanced timing, my question, will the extra .20 cents per gallon pay for itself , and no ,I don't consider these gas prices a bargain, but premium seems a bargain compared to the price of regular IF it will increase gas mileage, I wish I could find gas for under 4.00
Old 06-06-2008, 08:09 PM   #5
Registered Member

To do a comparison we need tank mpgs for 87 and premium. My 93 Mazda MX6 LS V6 needed premium, but it ran 87 fine! I get 21 mpg avg on it on 87, never tried premium or hypermiling on it!
JESSE69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:47 PM   #6
Registered Member

While this wiki requires more sources for verification, it follows my understanding of octane and it's effects on gasoline engines http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

IF my understanding is correct, then the short answer to your question is no, and the long answer is yes with a but. So, short answer "no" first. For most compact cars higher octane gas will not give you better gas mileage. In fact, it may even produce lower mpg's because your engine is not able to produce the appropriate amount of total compression necessary to be able to completely burn the higher octane gas regardless of advancing the timing. Basically you lose out on mpg's and $$. Longer answer yes with a "but" (although it's not really longer ) Now should you be asking about towing heavy loads, than yes, in some cases higher octane fuels are appropriate as load and heat tend to run hand in hand.

So unless you are driving a full sized pickup and are towing heavy loads, save your money and run the gas the manufacture designed it to run on.

N
Old 06-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #7
Registered Member

My 98 Honda Prelude calls for premium but the manual says you can use regular if premium is not available. I am getting 28 mpg with regular.Havent ran a whole tank of premium through it yet.Will post results. I have read in other forums that the O2 sensors will be damaged with regular.
GAZH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 03:56 PM   #8
Registered Member

on my motorcycle I advanced the timing, filled up with premium. went from 45 to 47 mpg, a 4.5% gain .since the premium costs 4.5% more, it was a wash
Old 06-07-2008, 03:56 PM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
My cressida it pays off. my truck gets better mpg with advanced timing. if premium allows me more advance and the trend continues (haven't had a chance to put premium in and test yet), absolutely it's worth it. That doesn't mean your car or any other will work the same

the easiest way to compare this (rather than % change in price vs % change in FE) is to open excel or your preferred spreadsheet program. I laid it out gas price on the left in cents (400 for $4.00) 100 in the first cell, increasing as you go down the cells and put MPG on top low on the left, high on the right. for the body, divide the $$ per gallon by the miles per gallon. the gallons cancel out and you get $$ per mile in cents. obviously, you want lower cents per mile. then just look up your total mpg and what you paid for it and see what you spent per mile.

the difference is in half a cent per mile often but it adds up. if you can quiet that voice screaming about how much more you just paid for a tank of gas and realise you went enough further to be worth it, kudos.
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:53 AM   #10
Registered Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehallbackhoe View Post
with gas prices here of 4.57 for regular and 4.77 for premium, that is a difference of 4.5 % since premium will allow more advanced timing without pinging, will mpg gains be bigger than 5%? if so, premium can be a bargain.

I went from 85 to 87 octane and my MPG increased 10%. It cost $1 more per fillup to use mid-grade, but I gained another 50 miles on the tank. I actually save $3 a tank full by spending the extra $1 for 87 mid-grade. I won't go back to the cheapest gas, because it costs too much to use it!