Pulstar Sparkplugs - Answer? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

Pulstar Sparkplugs - Answer?

I think I figured it out. Tell me what you think.

A while back, over 60,000 miles ago really, I installed a set of Pulstar sparkplugs in my 2006, 4.7 V8 Tundra, Clyde The Ride.

They were okay until one broke, so I replaced them with the factory sparkplugs until a replacement could be had.

Funny thing; immediately after changing back to stock, there was a noticeable drop off in pep, pick-up and smoothness, interesting as I had not noticed an improvement when I installed the Pulstar sparkplugs. Probably a computer adjustment thing, I reckon.

Eventually I re-installed Pulstars and have used them since. Recently I removed the Pulstars, and they looked so good I re-gapped and re-installed them.

I drive around for a living as a courier, to the tune of 150 to 300 miles a day. Usually, I fuel up daily so I know pretty fast if something is happening to affect gas mileage, good or bad. But the Pulstar sparkplugs made absolutely no difference in mileage which has flummoxed me because they are supposed to cause a more powerful plasma-induced burn and the theory is that the more power from a given amount of fuel the less throttle necessary for the same performance, ergo better gas mileage.

I kept thinking back to the dynamometer test the boys on "Trucks" did on their TV show and, sure enough, there was more power, right there on the read-out. I wondered about the vehicle they used, pre-computer and carbureted. Maybe it was my trucks computer responsible for my lack of improved mileage?

When one spends $40.00 or more for gasoline every day, ways to cut expenses are at the forefront, especially knowing that the current administration plans making gas more expensive. Barak Obama said he thought gas over $4.00 a gallon was a good idea, and I have every intention taking him at his word.

So, I've been looking at ways to cut expenses;

. A Natural Gas conversion is out of the question because the truck would not pass state Smog Inspection without an approved modification and by golly there aren't any approved kits.

. I've been looking at HHO, Hydrogen Gas Generators. Bewildering. But....AHA! I read that a piece of equipment necessary is a device to fool the vehicles computer.....because HHO causes a fast, powerful burn that makes more power out of the same amount of gas, makes the combustion leaner so to speak and the computer senses this as a lean condition and adds fuel to compensate thus defeating the whole purpose of more power from less fuel from better combustion.
Just like Pulstar sparkplugs!

So, if my logic is as impeccable as I believe it is......where do I find whatever the device is, to fool my trucks computer into allowing the leaner and more powerful burn?

623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Search the site for EFIE for the answer to your question. There may be links about it in my Meta-Sig.

However, I'd like to address one of the things you said:
Quote:
supposed to cause a more powerful plasma-induced burn and the theory is that the more power from a given amount of fuel the less throttle necessary for the same performance, ergo better gas mileage.
Less throttle does not equal improved mileage. Less throttle just means more air restriction, like having a clogged air filter.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Search the site for EFIE for the answer to your question. There may be links about it in my Meta-Sig.

However, I'd like to address one of the things you said:

Less throttle does not equal improved mileage. Less throttle just means more air restriction, like having a clogged air filter.
Nope. I mean that less throttle is necessary to go the same speed because the power produced is more than stock.
623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
Registered Member

o2 Simulator
'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:13 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Only problem with fooling the O2 sensor is you make more polution. Best thing to do is to improve lubrication like I did with the "Synlube" - one time shot for less maintainance (oil changes go away for a long time) and if I push it on the highway I get over 40mpg heck I got 40 mpg in Boston traffic and that same tank now shows 43.6mpg AVERAGE. Acetone works in my Scion "Toyota" engine and supposily that "fools" the O2 sensor a little.
I also recommend a few CC's of Torco GP-7 two stroke oil in the gas per ten gallons.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:19 PM   #6

At $25 dollars a plug how much fuel will you have to save to pay for them?

You will find these plugs my save you very little over the next 10 yrs.

I am new here and I gather there is not enough debate about fancy gimmicks that are truly only a well marketed farce.

Its your hard earned money and folks tend to fall for crap because it gives a false feeling of good thinking you are actually improving when you may be destroying in the process.
willix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:55 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Most (not all) of us are pretty strongly against gimmicks, but sometimes we get tired of the same old refuting. Additionally, it can be pretty pointless trying to talk shatto into or out of anything...

You'll fit right in, willix.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:31 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Most (not all) of us are pretty strongly against gimmicks, but sometimes we get tired of the same old refuting. Additionally, it can be pretty pointless trying to talk shatto into or out of anything...

You'll fit right in, willix.
Quick quiz: how many of you have a cat-back system and/or intake for better breathing?
I had a Flowmaster on the Dakota for almost half a million miles and it was utterly useless for improving MPG at speeds under 70 MPH.
Which is why breathing on the Tundra is stock.

The Dakota used synthetic lubricants for 623,000 miles with no MPG improvement.
However.....I picked up 3MPG by changing to 0-W30 in my Sonoma.
What works for theholycow might not work for you, and versa-vica.

Pulstar plugs do produce noticable power and smoothness running. I noticed it upon removing them.
The question is why there is no MPG improvement?
You guys with itty-bitty engines in teensy-weensy cars may not much care, but I feed a V8 in a heavy truck that travels mucho miles and picking up one or two miles translates into serious money over time. Especially important since the President of the United States has said he intends we pay more for gasoline.

Gimmick? All those years I used Splitfire sparkplugs.....until it struck me that the MPG never changed.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Old 05-09-2010, 05:25 AM   #9
Registered Member

Hm. I am the typical skeptic also. but Iv read about how these are made. Its actually very simple. Its just a capacitor across the spark gap. Now Iv played with high voltage before, and specifically a high voltage capacitor across the electrodes on a Jacobs Ladder. I posted this up on youtube a while back. Im not saying that this will help a spark plug. It is clearly louder in the last part when the small high voltage capacitors were across the electrodes...

http://www.youtube.com/user/slurp812#p/u/8/PadusxJpn-Y
Old 05-09-2010, 05:08 PM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Humm problem you don't know why it is louder and that J Ladder (so that's what it's called?) is AC current flowing and a spark plug is DC current but in either you may be tuning the resonance of the circuit with the caps and that could be doing several things including drawing more current from the primary thus making it "louder".

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote