Purchasing a new fuel efficent car. - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-28-2009, 12:19 PM   #11
Registered Member

not to be rude.... but a 2004 Civic LX with 152K miles is NOT worth $6000 no matter how nice condition of the car. For $6000 you can find the same car with half the mileage.

Are you looking for a 5 speed or auto,.... 2 or 4 door Civic ????

want2buyVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:05 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
But that's what we're talking about here, isn't it? "The first few years" falls within the '01-08 range, does it not?
No. Those surveys are usually concerned with the first year or the first three years. 2008 does match that.

Quote:
... What? Vary in what respect? How is the target market gauged? What Model data? What goal are you defining to rank these brands?
If you look at model-specific data in reliability studies such as the ones either of us has posted, you'll see wide variations in reliability data for two models with the same stuff under the hood.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:07 PM   #13
Registered Member

Off topic:

My wife had a 2002 Civic EX (5 speed) and at 175K miles (car looked like if it only had 40K miles) she decided to buy a new 2009 Civic EX. We decided to give the 2002 Civic to my nephew as a high school graduation present since the dealer offered peanuts for the trade in value. Today the 2002 Civic still gets 40+ MPG on the highway and is an extremely reliable car. Only maintenance problems was a cracked exhaust manifold ($85) and I installed a new Denso O2 sensor when the CEL came on. Other than that the car has only had basic maintenance. At 220K miles the car still going very strong, it doesn't even consume more than 1/2 quart of oil every 6K miles on the least expensive dino oil. This car will have no problem going another 200K miles.

Civics are cheap on gas, cheap on tires, low maintenance, parts are dirt cheap and run forever as long as you have proper coolant and oil level. No need for expensive Iridium or Platinum plugs, just use the $1.99 copper NGK V-Power plugs and change every 40K miles.

If you are looking for an economy car, buy a Civic......but don't buy a Civic with high miles cause if you look on Craigslist and take your time you can find a low mile Civic in excellent condition from a private seller that either got tired of their car or just simply needs a bigger car due to a growing family.

If you want to save even more $$$$ then consider a Civic VP (made in 2004 and 2005) which is basically a Civic DX with factory A/C and CD player.... but does not have power windows/mirrors/locks, cruise control or Tachometer such as the Civic LX you were looking at.

As guaranteed as the sun will rise tomorrow morning......

YOU WILL NOT GO WRONG WITH THE PURCHASE OF A HONDA CIVIC.

I hope you guys don't think I am biased towards the Honda Civic
Old 11-28-2009, 01:12 PM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
kbb.com says that retail price for a 2004 Civic LX Sedan with 152k and average equipment is $7500. I just looked for a 2004 Civic LX in local dealers; they are listed at 9,000 to 10,100 with 61k to 73k miles.

The price is probably about right.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:17 PM   #15
Registered Member

I'm sorry, but thats the dealer's 'dream price' in which someone walks into the dealership and does not haggle on the price.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:18 PM   #16
Registered Member

Well, me I just bought a wonderfull Honda Civic 2007 for only one reason: the reliability of a Honda. For the price I payed it second hand I could also buy a NEW French, Italian, American car. But I've seen them (Italian and French), owned them driven them and I don't wont them anymore.
I own it since September and the Civic drives perfect, has high MPG and I really love it! It's a joy.
i-DSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:27 PM   #17
Registered Member

Discount car buying is available from many places. I have saved a bunch with both Amway and the Costco programs. Many of the credit cards and insurance companies have savings plans and Clark Howard yells the savings message from the mountain tops.

If you are in a major metropolitan area, consider the Honda Civic GX.
It doesn't use any gasoline at all.
Factor in the cost of it's fuel, in your area, against where gas is expected to go.
623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kracka View Post
Hi guys,

I think I have found a good car at a local used car dealership.

2004 Honda civic lx with 152,000 for $6000 in excellent condition...that seems like a reasonable price, but of course i'm posting here to make sure i'm not getting ripped off.

Planning on getting this.

Thanks,

-Dan
So offer him 3 or 4 grand and see what he says...worst that'll happen is he'll say no. But you might wind up paying $4500 or $5k rather than 6...

If it has been driven mostly on freeway, it's probably ok.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:49 PM   #19

When I lived in California and Washington I considered the Honda Civic GX - too far from where I am now unfortunately.

Then PHILL failed...

It's a great idea, and we're sitting on WAY too much surplus natural gas right now
Old 11-29-2009, 04:55 AM   #20
Registered Member

i'll play the devil's advocate here...

why not spend a small portion of your $7500 and get your malibu in good working order? it could very likely meet your 30mpg hwy requirements.

besides, i'd love to hang on to most of $7500!

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote