Ran seafoam - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-08-2006, 09:16 AM   #1
Registered Member

Ran seafoam

I ran seafoam this morning. I ran it through the intake manifold and the crankcase and the fuel tank. I put half a pint through the intake manifold and 1/4 pint through the crankcase and 1/4 pint in the gas tank.

At first I noticed that the car accelarated better in the 4000-5000rpm range. I always had a problem there. Second my vacuum leak is gone. I had the fans on and humping the brake pedal like a mad man and no vacuum leak. I tried so many times to get a vacuum leak and it just wouldn't show up. After 80mph it's a beast. I didn't even max out 3rd gear and it's long as hell.

My gas gauge is saying 270 at 1/4 tank and I have been on it for like 50 miles. Usually when I get 28-30mpg I'm at 320-330 miles at 1/4 mark. So we will see what happens in the next couple of tanks.

Now all I got to do for maintenance is change the PCV valve.

My car is at 65k right now and this is the first time I ran seafoam. When can I do it again???

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 10:24 AM   #2
Registered Member

That's a new one. So

That's a new one. So Seafoam seals vacuum leaks now? What's next? Reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles?

Exactly what problem do you think Seafoam "solved" to improve your performance and gas mileage? Which one fixed it, the intake, the crankcase, or the gas tank? That stuff is mostly kerosene or a similar petroleum derivative to kerosene. I would say it does a crappy job of cleaning intakes compared to a throttle body or carburetor cleaner, having used it several times to clean the throttle body on my car. I won't buy it again.

CosmicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 12:37 PM   #3
Driving on E

Re: That's a new one. So

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicMC
That's a new one. So Seafoam seals vacuum leaks now? What's next? Reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles?

Exactly what problem do you think Seafoam "solved" to improve your performance and gas mileage? Which one fixed it, the intake, the crankcase, or the gas tank? That stuff is mostly kerosene or a similar petroleum derivative to kerosene. I would say it does a crappy job of cleaning intakes compared to a throttle body or carburetor cleaner, having used it several times to clean the throttle body on my car. I won't buy it again.
I've heard of people using seafoam to clean carbon buildup out of their engine, but that's about it. I don't think that seafoam can cure a vacuum leak, unless it somehow plugs up your hole. If seafoam can plug up a hole, I'd be frightened to use it in my engine.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 06:31 PM   #4
Registered Member

you can doubt me all you

you can doubt me all you want but the car didn't show a vacuum leak. My fans were even running and and it didn't show a vaccum leak.

Old 01-09-2006, 11:14 AM   #5
Registered Member

Re: Ran seafoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
I ran seafoam this morning. I ran it through the intake manifold and the crankcase and the fuel tank. I put half a pint through the intake manifold and 1/4 pint through the crankcase and 1/4 pint in the gas tank.

At first I noticed that the car accelarated better in the 4000-5000rpm range. I always had a problem there. Second my vacuum leak is gone. I had the fans on and humping the brake pedal like a mad man and no vacuum leak. I tried so many times to get a vacuum leak and it just wouldn't show up. After 80mph it's a beast. I didn't even max out 3rd gear and it's long as hell.

My gas gauge is saying 270 at 1/4 tank and I have been on it for like 50 miles. Usually when I get 28-30mpg I'm at 320-330 miles at 1/4 mark. So we will see what happens in the next couple of tanks.

My car is at 65k right now and this is the first time I ran seafoam. When can I do it again???
When you ran it through the intake manifold, where did you pour it in? Maybe that was the source of the VAC leak. For example if you took the brake booster line off and dumped it in the intake at that point put and hose back on, maybe that was the source of your leak and you tightened it up when you put things back together -- just a theory.

Also, I'd recommend changing your oil since you put it in the crankcase. I think it's designed to be in there for a short amount of time.

Some people recommend doing this every 30,000 miles. For me, I just slowly dumped 3/4 can down the intake, shut down the engine, and then drove around with high-RPM run-ups until the white smoke went away. To prevent bulidup of carbon/sludge, I installed a PCV catch device (like the one Matt did in the how-to section). So far it's collected about 5mL of gas/oil goop that would've gone throught the intake and combustion process (highly recommended add-on). I plan to do it again maybe next fall (30,000 miles later).

RH77
Old 01-09-2006, 01:10 PM   #6
Registered Member

Re: Ran seafoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888

When you ran it through the intake manifold, where did you pour it in? Maybe that was the source of the VAC leak. For example if you took the brake booster line off and dumped it in the intake at that point put and hose back on, maybe that was the source of your leak and you tightened it up when you put things back together -- just a theory.

Also, I'd recommend changing your oil since you put it in the crankcase. I think it's designed to be in there for a short amount of time.

Some people recommend doing this every 30,000 miles. For me, I just slowly dumped 3/4 can down the intake, shut down the engine, and then drove around with high-RPM run-ups until the white smoke went away. To prevent bulidup of carbon/sludge, I installed a PCV catch device (like the one Matt did in the how-to section). So far it's collected about 5mL of gas/oil goop that would've gone throught the intake and combustion process (highly recommended add-on). I plan to do it again maybe next fall (30,000 miles later).

RH77
I ran it through the brake booster. I used that line to inject it into the intake manifold. The only time it smoked was when I was injecting it. It didn't smoke after I started up the car again 20min later. I'll be changing my oil in 500-600 miles anyway. The way things are going at work it will be like 1-2 weeks.

Old 01-14-2006, 11:18 AM   #7
Registered Member

So maybe I missed something,

So maybe I missed something, but what exactly was the point of running the Seafoam and what effect did it have on saving money on gas? Last time I looked, Seafoam was about $8 a bottle. How long will it take you to make up the cost of that $8 bottle of Seafoam? What if you hadn't used the Seafoam but instead just fixed the vacuum leak problem? How has your mileage changed since the vacuum leak was fixed by the Seafoam?

CosmicMC is offline   Reply With Quote