Reccomended theromstat temp- 93 Honda VX - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

Reccomended theromstat temp- 93 Honda VX

I can't seem to find a theromstat any hotter than 170 degrees at my local parts stores. Is anyone running 195 in their VX? What's recommended? Any better mileage with a 195?

Thanks!

GasSavers_1stHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:40 AM   #2
Registered Member

Re: Reccomended theromstat temp- 93 Honda VX

I'm running a 195. If nothing else the heat is warmer in the cabin in the winter.
No tests on FE but all signs point to a no-brainer; no extra cost.

I think I got mine from Autopartswharehouse.com They usually have the best price on the web, I've found. Free shipping over so many dollars too.
B

benfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
Registered Member

Re: Reccomended theromstat temp- 93 Honda VX

The difference between the VX and the CX, LX, DX and EX is only 7?F when the thermostat starts to open and only 9?F when the thermostat is fully open. I bought a replacement thermostat at a Honda dealer near me. The wait for a VX thermostat was a week if I recall correctly, so I went with a non-VX thermostat that I could get next day delivery on. That was 4 years ago. I see no noticeable difference in behavior/performance with the non-VX thermostat. The temperature gauge reads about the same too - the needle is at the 8:00 to 8:15 position.

Do yourself a favor and buy a Honda OEM thermostat. If you can wait for the VX thermostat do so but they have to be getting quite rare at the Honda parts warehouses. Maybe the HX used the same temperature range. I have noticed that the quality of aftermarket parts is getting worse and they fail earlier than factory parts.
jadziasman is offline   Reply With Quote