Record for my VX! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2007, 02:10 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
If you want to get good FE while driving fast, you'll need to aero-mod your VX. On an interstate trip last weekend (one leg at 75 to 80mph, return leg with more traffic at 70-75mph) I got 56mpg (526miles). I'm driving a CX with a DX engine. Since aero-modding the car, I get better FE at 80mph than I used to get at 60mph in its pre-aero days.
You have pics? I don't want the car to stand out... It's a nice beater .
Gary

garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:16 PM   #12
Registered Member

Hey 1993CivicVX, can I proclaim myself as the king of stock CA VX mileage?

I got gas today and calculated 54.8 mpg!!! Thats with alot of drafting and about
95+% highway driving. Drafting really works. My best last time was 52mpg and I was drafting and going through the santa cruz mountains daily to/from work. Perhaps I could have gotten 55mpg if I didn't overflow my gas tank after two clicks.

I just ordered a federal VX ECU/ECM and I'm going to order the wide band O2 sensor to convert my VX into a fed one - I want lean burn!

If I didn't draft, the best I could do is around 48mpg.

Gary

BTW, I entered my last two fillups into the gas log.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:57 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
nice one. Congratulations. I think you'll notice quite an improvement with the FED conversion. Once you get converted we can do a little competition. :P

Although if most of your driving is highway I don't think you will be able to get into the 60s (unless you do some hardcore tractor trailer drafting)

The reason I can get great mileage with little effort is because of where I live. Most people are happy to drive below the speed limit. And all the speed limits around here are 30, 35, 40 and 45mph. The few places that are 50 and 55 I try to avoid.

So imagine driving average speed of 40-45mph on the highway with pulse and glide. That is in effect what the majority of my driving ends up being. Except that I'm stopping a lot at intersections and what not and often doing short trips.

I think if you drive with your VX once it's converted the way you drove on this tank you will get 59mpg.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 04:36 PM   #14
Registered Member

Gary,

i love the GMC Typhoon! what kind of shape is yours in?
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 05:33 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
nice one. Congratulations. I think you'll notice quite an improvement with the FED conversion. Once you get converted we can do a little competition. :P

Although if most of your driving is highway I don't think you will be able to get into the 60s (unless you do some hardcore tractor trailer drafting)

The reason I can get great mileage with little effort is because of where I live. Most people are happy to drive below the speed limit. And all the speed limits around here are 30, 35, 40 and 45mph. The few places that are 50 and 55 I try to avoid.

So imagine driving average speed of 40-45mph on the highway with pulse and glide. That is in effect what the majority of my driving ends up being. Except that I'm stopping a lot at intersections and what not and often doing short trips.

I think if you drive with your VX once it's converted the way you drove on this tank you will get 59mpg.
It'll be awesome if I can get 59mpg! I just took a look at the gaslog of the guy who converted his CA VX and got 60+.. It looks like the times he got the 60+mpg mark is when he did a short fill. What I mean by that is that he filled up a tank when it was almost full. I guess what he did was fill it up, go about 100-150miles and then fill up. I don't think that's as accurate as running it down a tank and filling up.

I will draft more trucks next week and see if I can get similar mileage. I just pump up my tires slightly pass max so it'll help.

I can't believe I got almost 55mpg in a CA VX! Well, drafting was a major reason ...
Gary
Old 10-13-2007, 05:37 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
Gary,

i love the GMC Typhoon! what kind of shape is yours in?
It's in excellent shape, although it could use a wash. I had it since the mid 90's and it only has about 92k miles on it.

The truck is quick, but it's a brick after 100mph. Mileage isn't that great.. I get about 16mpg or so... but then, that's what my vx is all about... mileage and saving mula.. I take the truck out for fun and to the drag strip, not to save gas.

I love the typhoon too!!!!
Gary
Old 10-14-2007, 02:51 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
It's in excellent shape, although it could use a wash. I had it since the mid 90's and it only has about 92k miles on it.

The truck is quick, but it's a brick after 100mph. Mileage isn't that great.. I get about 16mpg or so... but then, that's what my vx is all about... mileage and saving mula.. I take the truck out for fun and to the drag strip, not to save gas.

I love the typhoon too!!!!
Gary
when the cyclone first came out, i wanted one. now, with a family, i'd prefer the typhoon. but as you said, FE is not great, so couldn't afford either right now.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:25 PM   #18
Registered Member

I got 56.21 mpg this fillup! This fillup includes a run through the santa cruz mountains (not good for FE). I drafted most of this week and got my first 450+ mile range on a tank (466 to be exact). On my way home from work tonight I drafted a semi. I decided to follow it the long way home since I had a good draft (a semi going contant speed in the same lane), but we ran into a traffic jam. I ended up in traffic for about 20 minutes and I took the side streets home with alot of stop lights. That killed my FE for sure, but I still managed 56.21 mpg!! I guess it helps now that I use the car 90+% on the highway.

In the 3-4 years I've own this car, I've recently been getting excellent mileage! I usually get mid 40's. The car was down for about 10 months due to a bad tranny (Oct 2006-Aug 2007). I changed all the bearings in the tranny (that'll help FE). I also smogged the car so I advanced the timing after smog which drops HC in emission at the expense of increase NOx (a definate plus for FE - my HC is only 9PPM at idle at 15mph which is lower than most VXs I've compared it to). I had a slightly clogged EGR system so I changed out the intake with another stock one that was not clogged. A clogged EGR system decreases mileage (a plus for FE).

I can't wait to get lean burn running on this car (CA vx)!

Gary
Old 10-17-2007, 10:36 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
when the cyclone first came out, i wanted one. now, with a family, i'd prefer the typhoon. but as you said, FE is not great, so couldn't afford either right now.
Through the years, I bought some performance parts for this truck I never installed, like two new turbos, fuel computer, and other stuff I can't remember. I still plan on installing them, but the typhoon is on the back burner now as I'm swamped with work. I love the typhoon, but with gas prices going through the roof and it getting about 16-18mpg I haven't focused on this vehicle. I'll probably do my vx ca to fed conversion before I touch the typhoon, but I still love that truck!
Gary
Old 10-18-2007, 01:10 PM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Nice one Gary. Looks like you edged me out for your overall gaslog, and you have the CA model. My next fill up should have me in the lead again, tho.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote