Remanufactured Honda Engines - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-11-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
Registered Member

Remanufactured Honda Engines

In the spirit of being green, I've decided that at some point, I will buy a Honda Civic Vx and have both the V-tec E engine and transmission remanufactured to factory new. The goal in mind, is to have the drivetrain rebuilt to factory specs, with the intent of acheiving the famed gas mileage that we've all come go to know & love.

The question now becomes a matter of "where" I should get this done, or to put it another way, where would be the best place to go. Should I have the Honda dealership remanufacuter my V-tec engine & transmission, or should I have a place such as Jasper's engine & transmission take on the task?

Thank you.

Davo53209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Re: Remanufactured Honda Engines

The first thoughts that come to mind:

Old cars tend not to lose fuel economy unless something is broken.

Would a dealership even be willing/able to do that work? I imagine dealers don't do a lot of rebuilds, and when they do they farm it out.

Also, I would think it's more green to keep repairing than discard still-functioning parts, which must be disposed and new ones manufactured to replace them.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
Registered Member

Where would be the best place to get that done?
Old 08-11-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
Registered Member

Many local machine shops will rebuild engines since they already perform all of the individual steps (checking/regrinding crankshafts and valves/valve seats, honing cylinders etc.).

You might ask them for a reference (owner of an older Honda engine that they have rebuilt) and ask what kind of warranty they can offer.

I agree with HC- older engines can still get great gas mileage. If an engine is running well and not burning lots of oil, it should be possible to tune it up so that it gets the EPA estimated mileage.

Oil leaks are just the results of a handful of hardened seals/gaskets which can be replaced without a rebuild- valve cover, oil pan, crankshaft seal (front and rear) and camshaft seals (front and rear).
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
jmf
Registered Member

It's getting harder to find a good car to put the engine in. If it is not all rusted it will probably still need new suspention bushings, ball joints and other aged parts.

I also wish I could rebuild a vx to new condition. Or maybe honda will start making them again.

jmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:11 PM   #6
Registered Member

You see, that's ultimately the goal. I'd like to have the engine & transmission built to factory new specs.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:38 PM   #7
Registered Member

first things first...you mention both rebuilt and remanufactured engine/tranny. they are not the same--you likely know this, i just want those of us replying to fully understand your intent.

perhaps you're open to either. obviously rebuilds are cheaper, but have less warranty. i would avoid the dealer--not sure if they would sell you anything but new(if still available).

that said, jasper is you best(and most expensive, outside a dealership)bet in regard to longevity and warranty. i believe they give a 100k warranty, not sure how many years, if any. this would likely be more to new specs as well.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:35 AM   #8
Registered Member

Yes, to be clear, I do mean remanufactured in terms of both the engine & tranny.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:41 PM   #9
Registered Member

Go ahead, spend more money.
Used to be, anyway, that you could buy a very low mileage engine of a Japanese car because their idiot laws force them to change the engine at something like 30,000 miles.
I hope that is still true because eventually our 88 Prelude engine with 135,000 miles on it will wear out and I'll buy the cheap replacement.
623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
Site Team / Moderator

That's crazy. 30,000 miles is barely broken in.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote