Road Surface Roughness - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2007, 12:33 PM   #21
Team GasMisers5!

The road surface makes a noticeable difference. Some of the roads where I live are not very good, because trucks drive on the repeatedly. The recently resurfaced areas are so smooth, and I can coast for ages, and speed up easily when coasting down gentle slopes, and the 'bad' areas, which have no potholes, but are very rough, and make the whole car vibrate, result in a noticable 'braking' effect, so in these areas I try to stay on the least damaged areas, and doing that today managed to coast a lot further.

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 03:25 PM   #22
Registered Member

The Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
We have very few roads made with concrete up here (just a few select high-traffic intersections). You guys in the 'States have entire freeway systems made with concrete? I wonder why they don't do that up here (my guess is that the freezing and thawing would be murder on the roads)?
First, Brock -- excellent find on the Cummins article! This should be required reading for anyone looking to get better FE. Although geared toward big-rigs and diesel engines, I would say that a majority of the content still applies to any size vehicle or engine design.

Peakster -- I think you're right about the freezing. In the 'States, there are 1000s of miles of Interstate concrete. It lasts longer from a wear perspective, but is much more expensive than asphalt. The joints do take a beating, especially in freezing temps and require more maintenance. Concrete projects take longer to complete as well. Gov't agencies have to decide, "Quick and Cheap" asphalt (which is also quieter), or pay more up-front (time and cost) for a longer lasting stretch of road. Also sourcing the materials is a factor.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:23 AM   #23
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Check out
http://www.everytime.cummins.com/eve...Whitepaper.pdf
lots of good stuff. It was directed at truckers, but most of it carries over to us as well.

smooth concrete -12%
new concrete 0 - baseline
Asphalt finish +1%
Asphalt med +4%
Asphalt coarse +8%
chip seal +33%

oh I dislike chip seal. Only our big interstates are concrete up here in WI, I can see the inporvement in mileage on them.

Great stuff Brock, thanks!!

BeeUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:26 AM   #24
Registered Member

The cummins info is wonderful. Just look at all the drafting that can be done around those rigs.

In traffic I love the side draft as long as the wind is right. Also love to surf them out front.

Road surfaces have always been of interest to me.

I'm looking forward to a little over night trip the wife and I are taking to Arkansas this week. We are both on vacation this week. She has never been to Eureka Springs. So we are going to steal away for a overnight romp in the Ozarks. Im looking forward to some awesome driving. I haven't been there in many years myself. So it will be interesting to see the road surfaces and have some hypermiling fun.

We will have to drive more miles than I care to think about on the grooved concrete roads.

psy
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:21 PM   #25
Registered Member

Eureka Springs

If you like cornering (and great scenery), Highway 62 into Eureka Springs from Rogers is one of the most curvy and challenging roads around the area. Unless you get stuck behind a slow RV or something, you can get exhausted from the switchbacks, but it's a blast! The elevation changes are pretty extreme too so coasting is a possibility, but burning up a lot of fuel is too

Have a good trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyshack View Post
The cummins info is wonderful. Just look at all the drafting that can be done around those rigs.

In traffic I love the side draft as long as the wind is right. Also love to surf them out front.

Road surfaces have always been of interest to me.

I'm looking forward to a little over night trip the wife and I are taking to Arkansas this week. We are both on vacation this week. She has never been to Eureka Springs. So we are going to steal away for a overnight romp in the Ozarks. Im looking forward to some awesome driving. I haven't been there in many years myself. So it will be interesting to see the road surfaces and have some hypermiling fun.

We will have to drive more miles than I care to think about on the grooved concrete roads.

psy
Old 04-09-2007, 01:03 PM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
If you like cornering (and great scenery), Highway 62 into Eureka Springs from Rogers is one of the most curvy and challenging roads around the area. Unless you get stuck behind a slow RV or something, you can get exhausted from the switchbacks, but it's a blast! The elevation changes are pretty extreme too so coasting is a possibility, but burning up a lot of fuel is too

Have a good trip!
We will be going in on 62. . I will lay waste to motor homes and semis. And digging hard in fas off some of the ridges in the the nice off and on camber turns that await us at the bottom. We leave out the south way and over to springdale and the Fayitville area.... Stop by and pay my respects to hogdom. Then shoot south to Alma on old 71 or 540.

The wife has been in the area on a bike with me. Which becomes a blurrrrrr to her. ( Better than sex IMO ) and we took the Accord over there for a short romp right after we purchased it. Plulling out of Alma heading north on 540 it struck me like a bat on the head,,, Damn Im doing 100 mph or better. about 115 when I looked at the speedo a second time. Dont ever let anybody tell you a I4 Accord or TSX is a slug... Ive layed to waiste more so called road machines on old 71 than a preacher has followers on bikes and in cars. Hell we might even run over twords Harrison then drop back south to I-40. Its all good as long as I dont go near Little Rock and the god awful delta.

Im sooooo looking forward to this drive....

psy

Not to steal the thread,,,, sorry
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:35 PM   #27
Registered Member

One more Jack

Sorry to further hijack a perfectly good thread, but you're speakin' my language in an area that I love to drive.

The I4 Accord rental proved your point to a 'T' in the hills around Little Rock. What a rush and a surprise on how composed it is.

My wife and I were married at a woodsy chapel in Bella Vista (about 5 miles North of Bentonville). This place is breathtaking -- mostly glass and arched steel to blend-in with the treed surroundings. So, driving between E.P. and Rogers with the In-Laws and the wife in the car, I had to maneuver the rental Taurus with the least yaw and easy brakes. By the time it was over, I was sweatin'! All passengers were pleased, whew! (I had visions of my car at the time -- the Evo -- blasting around the course).

If you like German food -- there a great German/Austrian place just as you get into Eureka -- can't miss it -- looks like a chalet.

OK -- I'm done -- back to topic.

Highway 62 is recently paved ashphalt cut through the Ozark Mountains, so it should provide some reduced rolling resistance

Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyshack View Post
We will be going in on 62. . I will lay waste to motor homes and semis. And digging hard in fas off some of the ridges in the the nice off and on camber turns that await us at the bottom. We leave out the south way and over to springdale and the Fayitville area.... Stop by and pay my respects to hogdom. Then shoot south to Alma on old 71 or 540.

The wife has been in the area on a bike with me. Which becomes a blurrrrrr to her. ( Better than sex IMO ) and we took the Accord over there for a short romp right after we purchased it. Plulling out of Alma heading north on 540 it struck me like a bat on the head,,, Damn Im doing 100 mph or better. about 115 when I looked at the speedo a second time. Dont ever let anybody tell you a I4 Accord or TSX is a slug... Ive layed to waiste more so called road machines on old 71 than a preacher has followers on bikes and in cars. Hell we might even run over twords Harrison then drop back south to I-40. Its all good as long as I dont go near Little Rock and the god awful delta.

Im sooooo looking forward to this drive....

psy

Not to steal the thread,,,, sorry
Old 04-10-2007, 07:58 AM   #28
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

new awareness

With my new awareness of surface roughness I have altered my lane choices. I did notice that on an uphill coast portion of my trip home with new pavement that I lose very little momentum at all, while on a down hill portion with old rough pavement that car slows noticeably. Hmmm, I am sure the lugged snow tires magnify the effect.....

Old 04-10-2007, 08:04 AM   #29
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjh72 View Post
Michigan's got some areas with grooved pavement.

Must be a traction enhancement pipe dream of the road commissions. Not effective, I don't think. Maybe to get drivers to slow down? Could be. Rain water in the grooves only increase the changes of hydroplaning. Melted snow that's turned to ice builds up in the grooves. A plow truck misses the ice in the grooves. Only rarely do the plows get right down to the pavement. They leave a 1/8 inch or more for the salt/sand trucks to go over. Until then, it's an ice rink.

David:
I remember the grooves, I previously lived in Michigan. Each time I have been back for a visit there seems to be less and less of the nasty stuff left.

Which highway are you referring too?

Old 04-10-2007, 08:05 AM   #30
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeUU View Post
With my new awareness of surface roughness I have altered my lane choices. I did notice that on an uphill coast portion of my trip home with new pavement that I lose very little momentum at all, while on a down hill portion with old rough pavement that car slows noticeably. Hmmm, I am sure the lugged snow tires magnify the effect.....
When is winters back going to be broken in WA. Snow Tires?

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote