RR Rating for Falken Ziex ZE-912's? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-28-2009, 08:35 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
A small amount of negative camber can help high-speed cornering, but decent suspensions (almost certainly any German suspension) adjust camber with weight transfer.

The larger tires are so close that it doesn't make much difference. They are a half inch taller. If you go to the 225/50 tires, they will be an inch taller, and an inch wider. The extra volume increases the load the tire can carry at a given pressure, or reduces the pressure required for the same load. Therefore, VW would have probably labeled the car 36psi for the larger tires had it shipped with them. Your fuel economy may benefit from the wider, larger tires.

Keep in mind, again, that 225/50 tires will be taller than the 205/55 tires and may require a speedometer adjustment.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
A small amount of negative camber can help high-speed cornering, but decent suspensions (almost certainly any German suspension) adjust camber with weight transfer.
If the GTi suspension self-adjusted under load, the ability was probably removed when the previous owner installed the aftermarket springs and dampers.
Truth be told, I'm not completely up to speed on the German cars yet. I've usually owned Chevys with V8's.

Quote:
The larger tires are so close that it doesn't make much difference. They are a half inch taller. If you go to the 225/50 tires, they will be an inch taller, and an inch wider. The extra volume increases the load the tire can carry at a given pressure, or reduces the pressure required for the same load. Therefore, VW would have probably labeled the car 36psi for the larger tires had it shipped with them. Your fuel economy may benefit from the wider, larger tires.
I'll play with the tire pressure when I get the new tires. I'll have them pretty high for sidewall stability, but I'll have them just low enough so as to not give me whiplash on the Swiss cheese... er... roads outside base. lol

Quote:
Keep in mind, again, that 225/50 tires will be taller than the 205/55 tires and may require a speedometer adjustment.
According to my calculations, using 25.4mm per inch, a 205/50-15 (OEM Size) tire will be 586mm (or ~23.1") tall. A 205/55-15 comes in at 606.5mm (or ~23.88", for a .8" height difference. The 225/50-15's measure in at 606.0mm (~23.86"). The height difference between the 225/50's and the 205/55's is negligible. Regardless, I'm not sure if the difference in size between any of these sizes would effect the speedo at all.

SpeedKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:18 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
The suspension design hasn't changed even if the spring rate did. That would explain the harsh ride, though. There's one thing the Germans do really well, and it's combining comfortable ride with really great handling.

I didn't really make much effort on those calculations so I'm glad you actually ran the numbers.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #14

Quote:
The suspension design hasn't changed even if the spring rate did. That would explain the harsh ride, though. There's one thing the Germans do really well, and it's combining comfortable ride with really great handling.
Tell me about it. I had the opportunity to drive a BMW 325i sedan once. Fell in love. Can't afford one, though. lol

SpeedKnight is offline   Reply With Quote