Six speed 1988-1991 Civic? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-20-2008, 05:12 PM   #11
Registered Member

There is one little problem with this transmission that I just thought of right now. If I can remember correctly, it uses an equal length axle setup similar to the 1986-1989 Integra, and B-series engines. This could present a problem, as I don't believe the D15Z1 has accommodations on the block for the intermediate shaft. I also don't know if it has roughed-in holes like some of the 1992-1995 blocks do (I will have to check). However, it might be possible to build an axle that will work without it and/or swap the differential from, say, an HF transmission.

StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:43 PM   #12

I have seen people saying they put an RSX 6-speed tranny in a CRX but as I have not swapped out transmissions I am lost in this area. I too would LOVE an easy and inexpensive 6-speed transmission drop-in, with final gearing on the 6th speed even taller than a stock HF.

My plans are turning a CRX into a VREX with an engine from a Civic VX 92-95, although I have more questions - not sure if it's a drop-in replacement or how much modification needs to happen to accomodate that.

My mechanic will regear a transmission for me, and I am okay on the price of this - won't be too expensive - but would LOVE a 6-speed, so if the RSX issue is dead, please keep us updated. A drop-in replacement with a VTEC-E D15Z1 out of a Civic VX and ??? transmission is sort of what I'm looking to drop into the CRX.

Please - all info anyone can come up with - several of us would love to hear about this.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:36 AM   #13
Registered Member

Pretty much the only way to get an RSX six speed into a CRX (or other 1988-1991 Civic) would be to do a full K-series swap. But trying to use one on a B-series or D-series motor would be a REAL challenge. Nt only do you have mounting, hydraulic clutch, shifter cable, and adaptor plate issues to deal with. But there is also that little fact that K-series transmissions re designed for a motor that spins clockwise. Having six reverse gears and only one foreward gear is not exactly the most desirable thing in the world. But on the bright side, I hear tha K-series motors actually do better than B-series on gas - possibly up to 40MPG. Not bad for a car that can beat a Camaro SS in the quarter mile.

Anyway, as far as the 4WD Civic transmission, unfortunately, not much seems to be known about this transmission. Hell, before FritzR listed the gear ratios, I didn't know what they are. And I could not find them ANYWHERE. I also don't know how feasible changing the gears on them is going to be. After all, I don' know if the parts are generally compatible with other D-series cable transmissions. I also don't know whether a finl drive swap is possible, given that Honda puts the pinion on the output shaft of the transmission, and the output shaft of this transmission is not too likely to be compatible with, say, an HF transmission. I guess that I (or anyone else here who decides to look into this) am on my own. Now I just have to find one at the pick-and-pull. I don't know how common these things are.

Anyway, if using this transmission turns out to be impossible, I will just go with my backup plan: installing the HF fifth gear and final drive into a DX transmission. At least I know that this IS possible. And I can probably pick up a DX transmission for free. It won't get rid of the 'burn up your clutch in a month' first gear. But it will at least get rid of that horrible 'drop the RPMs in half' first to second shift.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:33 PM   #14

Okay, I have heard some rumors of someone who regeared an HF transmission with 5th gear around .55 - I'm thinking usable only on flats? The extra HP of the VX engine should help though.

If the 6-speed 4WD tranny was used, and final drive from an HF transmission (2.95) - then granny gear (super low) would not be quite so super low any longer, and take 4th out of an Si for "5th" gear, plus a "6th" of .55 starts to yield some pretty usable FE results, right?

I am getting too excited about this project. Basically I'd like to use the 6-speed along with the final drive from the HF for well over 60 MPG on the flats, along with aero mods should easily drive it up over 70.

If anyone has information on dropping in the D15Z1 in, especially with the 6-speed - I am ALL ears.

Working on getting the California CRX over to WV right now - also looking for the VX engine and the Wagovan tranny. I have no idea what the final bill from the mechanic will be but I am ready to try to get this to fruition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminMatt View Post
There is one little problem with this transmission that I just thought of right now. If I can remember correctly, it uses an equal length axle setup similar to the 1986-1989 Integra, and B-series engines. This could present a problem, as I don't believe the D15Z1 has accommodations on the block for the intermediate shaft. I also don't know if it has roughed-in holes like some of the 1992-1995 blocks do (I will have to check). However, it might be possible to build an axle that will work without it and/or swap the differential from, say, an HF transmission.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:27 PM   #15
Registered Member

Well, I found out one thing about the Wagovan transmission that doesn't look good: it uses a cable shifter much like Accords and Preludes. Although this might not completely be a deal killer, it DOES mean that swapping over to this transmission is going to be significantly more difficult. It also means that some cutting and hacking would be required to make it work.