SO ready to quit!!! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-03-2007, 10:26 AM   #11
Supporting Member

just set a goal and work to it. Thats how i keep myself in this. When people tale gate i slow down more till they pass me. also try rideing the line so that people can tell from far away that you are going slower and it tells them PASS me!

Old 08-03-2007, 12:52 PM   #12
Stay true to the Game!

Remember anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering. Just keep it cool and remember that those people are spending alot more $$$ on gas than you. Good day!

popimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:58 PM   #13
Registered Member

You might want to look into some aero mods for your car as well. That way you can afford to go 65mph without sacrificing too much mpg, and hopefully keep the morons off your tail.

I've thought about installing a button that would manually turn on my brake lights for people like that. That way you can mash the button good, maybe send them a message in Morse code, without jeopardizing your little car fishtailing from a tiny tap at highway speeds. Wouldn't take much to have you skidding. I think those tailgaters deserve a shot of fear down their spine as often as possible, but I don't want to risk my life doing it.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:34 PM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to unstable bob
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland2D View Post
You might want to look into some aero mods for your car as well. That way you can afford to go 65mph without sacrificing too much mpg, and hopefully keep the morons off your tail.

I've thought about installing a button that would manually turn on my brake lights for people like that. That way you can mash the button good, maybe send them a message in Morse code, without jeopardizing your little car fishtailing from a tiny tap at highway speeds. Wouldn't take much to have you skidding. I think those tailgaters deserve a shot of fear down their spine as often as possible, but I don't want to risk my life doing it.
Good idea about the aero mods...I do have some plans in the works to try and increase MPG, so maybe there could be an even trade off.
Your idea about the brake light button reminds me of a car I once had...I could prolly get in trouble for admitting this, but hopefully the statute of limitations has passed. Anywho, back in the day I owned an ex-police Dodge Diplomat. I kept alot of the working police gear, such as lights and siren, and added a few gizmos of my own, such as a brake light activation switch, another switch that would deactivate the brake lights, taillights and licence plate light, a working smoke screen, and a few other 007 type gizmos. I was able to pull people over, smoke people out, run and hide, etc. Oh, the glorious days of a misspent automotive youth...

www.unstablebobgable.com

1973 AMC AMX: The beauty
1987 Buick T-Type: The beast
2004 Cavalier: The MPG machine
unstable bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #15
Registered Member

Is there an environemtally friendly smoke screen one could use?
Old 08-03-2007, 02:03 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland2D View Post
I've thought about installing a button that would manually turn on my brake lights for people like that... I think those tailgaters deserve a shot of fear down their spine as often as possible, but I don't want to risk my life doing it.
Yup. I have that. Works very well. Volvo calls it "rear fog lights", basically a pair of brake-type lights you control with a dash switch. As fog lights they make you very visible from the rear. Very effective for tailgaters. They usually back off. If they don't, in my pre-hypermiling days I used to give them a shot of the real brake lights, along with some real braking. That usually fixes them but can send you into escalating road rage.

Remember, brake lights are a lot brighter than taillights. Also hotter and use more current. So if you want to wire up something like that, make sure the installation can handle it's heat, and the wiring is up to the job.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:07 PM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to unstable bob
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by skewbe View Post
I used to use diesel fuel or ATF or a combo of both, prolly not too environmentally friendly. But it did work wonderfully!

www.unstablebobgable.com

1973 AMC AMX: The beauty
1987 Buick T-Type: The beast
2004 Cavalier: The MPG machine
unstable bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:43 PM   #18
Supporting Member

unstable bob -

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable bob View Post
Good idea about the aero mods...I do have some plans in the works to try and increase MPG, so maybe there could be an even trade off.
Your idea about the brake light button reminds me of a car I once had...I could prolly get in trouble for admitting this, but hopefully the statute of limitations has passed. Anywho, back in the day I owned an ex-police Dodge Diplomat. I kept alot of the working police gear, such as lights and siren, and added a few gizmos of my own, such as a brake light activation switch, another switch that would deactivate the brake lights, taillights and licence plate light, a working smoke screen, and a few other 007 type gizmos. I was able to pull people over, smoke people out, run and hide, etc. Oh, the glorious days of a misspent automotive youth...
I guess that's what they mean by the good old days .

The smoke screen sounds like something you could re-introduce to make people think you have engine trouble ("Poor slob, better just zoom past him"). If you added a little skunk juice, they'd get off your tail real fast (unless they defeat you with their AC bubble).

Other people realign their rear window washer sprayer to spew water onto the tailgater.

EDIT : Other people also hit their emergency lights to get people off their car's butt.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:47 PM   #19
Supporting Member

skewbe -

Quote:
Originally Posted by skewbe View Post
I am imagining some kind of liquid that could be dribbled onto (or into?) the muffler. Would just plain old water (with brown food coloring?) steam out?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:25 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
skewbe -

I am imagining some kind of liquid that could be dribbled onto (or into?) the muffler. Would just plain old water (with brown food coloring?) steam out?

CarloSW2
Water would steam, but I don't know how noticable it'd be, the food coloring wouldn't change the smoke color :-). Antifreeze would make a big white cloud and of course you could just dribble atf or diesel and was suggested.

Tail lights are a good idea, I've always wanted a switch to activate the reverse lights :-), that's more for being pissed off at a stop light though, always wanted to rev the engine up and drop the clutch and get the tires cooking a bit and through the reverse lights on and see what the cars did behind me. I'm cruel though.

As for things to 'do' to cars. I haven't found the link in years, but over 5 years ago I saw a website once of how this guy modified his car (it was a miata or rx7 I think), he had a paintball gone with a push button activation from inside the car, it was under his radiator, would spray up someones bumper real good.

He also had 2 model rocket 'missle' launchers hidden in old fog lights, though I think those are a little over the top

itjstagame is offline   Reply With Quote