So thinkin of buying a jeep wrangler - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
.838 with 3.73 with 30x9.5R15 tires isn't very tall gearing, though I'm not sure if tall is as appropriate as it is for lots of other vehicles.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
.838 with 3.73 with 30x9.5R15 tires isn't very tall gearing, though I'm not sure if tall is as appropriate as it is for lots of other vehicles.
wait... somethings off.. im missing a gear...

1st 4.459
2nd 2.614
3rd 1.723
4th 1.25
5th 1.000
6th 0.840
Reverse 4.06

yea if i were to get taller tires im sure that would help with highway mpg

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:54 AM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
yea if i were to get taller tires im sure that would help with highway mpg
Maybe highway tires, but who ever does that on a Wrangler? Wranglers get meaty aggressive off-road tires, or at least "A/T"-style compromise treads. You could probably gain a little gearing with P265/75-16 without raising height too much or looking weird, but you'll have to buy 16 inch wheels and expensive tires.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
actually bigger tires have more rolling resistance and you end up losing mileage because of that. What you need to look at is how much the engine burns just idling and if it's a lot per hour you have to go look at the motor efficiency first.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #15
Registered Member

True Jan Geo, but the 4.0 has been around for ages and really isnt a whole lot one can do for it. The biggest problem with these is the aerodynamics (that word and jeep in the same post??) which lets face it, short of a whole new body it aint getting improved haha.

Yea bigger tires do have more rollin resistance but im thinking if i get equal width or narrower yet taller tires it would equal out yet still lower the gear ratio.

I test drove an 05 with a 6 speed today and right at 55-60mph was 2K rpm. Ive heard on jeep forums that 60 is the best speed on the interstate, 65 it drops some but 70+ your screwed. Fine by me cuz if im towing a boat the limit is 55mph around me so 60 is easy to do.

I dont plan to do like boulder climbing but trails and backwoods paths are more likely so yea id have some aggressive tire on it. Anyone know of some that are relatively good traction in snow and mud but also quiet?
Old 10-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #16
Registered Member

Bf Goodrich Long Trails are T/A and some reports have them as LRR. They tend to be what my friend uses for replacements. He goes camping and might have to deal with muddy work sites.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Usually you just need a tread pattern with big grooves at an angle so the groove hits the road surface gradually.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
I dont plan to do like boulder climbing but trails and backwoods paths are more likely so yea id have some aggressive tire on it. Anyone know of some that are relatively good traction in snow and mud but also quiet?
I don't know about its actual performance, but the "A/T"-style tread (offered by plenty of manufacturers) is popular among people with similar priorities. BF Goodrich Rugged Trail TA is pretty close to an A/T tread, is OEM on a lot of vehicles, and is quiet while probably reasonably efficient. Traction is decent in various conditions.

Snow and mud tend to be at odds with each other; you want a narrow tire to dig through snow down to the ground, but you want a wide tire to float on top of mud.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:09 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Fine by me cuz if im towing a boat the limit is 55mph around me so 60 is easy to do.
Towing a boat is hard with a Wrangler. Since the wheelbase is so short, they get really darty. Then again, the longer wheelbase of the Unlimited may help out here.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:24 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetch View Post
Towing a boat is hard with a Wrangler. Since the wheelbase is so short, they get really darty. Then again, the longer wheelbase of the Unlimited may help out here.
yea the longer wheelbase helps ALOT ive heard. i think the wheelbase is pretty close to my 2 door blazer and that didnt have a problem towing at all.