Spark Plug's, Gapping, Question's - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2006, 10:22 AM   #1
Registered Member

Spark Plug's, Gapping, Question's

All: I've read all of the spark plug information I could find on the site. It sound's like PHILMCNEAL's test found the tripple platinum plugs were the best, but the margin was pretty small.

Then their's the thread that talks about side gapping and it's benfit's.

Finally, ZPILOTO posted a link for creating a "pencil torch" plug, using standard copper plug's and decreasing the plug gap by 10/1000.

Has anyone tested or compared the side gapping vs. the pencil torch?

I have a 87 Civic DX hatchback, which I had been running dual platinum tip plug's in. I had found it idled much smooter with them, compared to the standard plug's. However I have had trouble with the number 2 plug and last night when I pulled it I was amazed the car was running, at all. It had burned the platinum tip down about half way into the spark plug housing.

I side gapped some copper plug's, which I already had, but it isn't idling very smoothly, although running it on the highway, it goes up the Canejo Grade about 7mph faster than it did previously.

So, any thought's, idea's, suggestion's or etc.? I'm thinking of trying the pencil tip modification, but primarily I just want it to run decent and get the mileage it should be getting.

Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:25 AM   #2
*shrug*

This is on my list of serious tests to perform. The only thing we really know that is good is indexing, which has been backed up with dyno testing and la la la.

There's some dyno testing on sidegapping out there on honda-tech but I haven't been able to find the actual pictures.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:26 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Palmer
All: I've read all of the spark plug information I could find on the site. It sound's like PHILMCNEAL's test found the tripple platinum plugs were the best, but the margin was pretty small.

Finally, ZPILOTO posted a link for creating a "pencil torch" plug, using standard copper plug's and decreasing the plug gap by 10/1000.

I have a 87 Civic DX hatchback, which I had been running dual platinum tip plug's in. I had found it idled much smooter with them, compared to the standard plug's. However I have had trouble with the number 2 plug and last night when I pulled it I was amazed the car was running, at all. It had burned the platinum tip down about half way into the spark plug housing.

I side gapped some copper plug's, which I already had, but it isn't idling very smoothly, although running it on the highway, it goes up the Canejo Grade about 7mph faster than it did previously.

So, any thought's, idea's, suggestion's or etc.? I'm thinking of trying the pencil tip modification, but primarily I just want it to run decent and get the mileage it should be getting.
I blew a hole in my #2 piston in my last motor and drove it around for 200 more miles (Hondas are amazing). Sorry but I am no help on the actuall spark plug problem.

https://www.cardomain.com/ride/2452824

GasSavers_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:44 AM   #4
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
I blew a hole in my #2 piston in my last motor and drove it around for 200 more miles (Hondas are amazing). Sorry but I am no help on the actuall spark plug problem.
Guy I worked with was drunk and accidently drained all the oil out of his prelude and went driving at 120 mph for an hour before he noticed he had no oil in the car. It ran perfectly...
Old 06-13-2006, 10:52 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Guy I worked with was drunk and accidently drained all the oil out of his prelude and went driving at 120 mph for an hour before he noticed he had no oil in the car. It ran perfectly...
I had a friend with a Chevy Cavalier that went to Jiffy Lube. Got his oil changed and the plug fell out (or then never put it in). That car blew up in about 5 miles.

Good news was his lawer got Jiffy Lube to get him a brand new motor and pay to get it installed.

https://www.cardomain.com/ride/2452824

GasSavers_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:53 AM   #6
*shrug*

Oh, jiffy lube, something I think they do that stuff for fun.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:56 AM   #7
Registered Member

I think you guy's might have feeling's about Jiffy Lube!
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:53 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Palmer

I been running the pencil torch mod with NKG for over 600 miles now and who knows if it helps mileage. I know I have not leveled out yet on the gas log but the effects of plugs is pretty minimal. It feel like it runs better (better than the side gapped) but I'm sure that the placebo effect. I don't have the patience or time to do a test on plugs. Diamonlarry has a article on GS about some plug test he has done but I guess will have to wait for SVOboy to try more test.
With the pencil torch mod when you drill the hole in the bonding strap it become the weak link I'm planning on keeping an eye on it . I would hate for it to break off in the cylinder. Overall I like they way these feel and the theory make sense to me. For $1.98 a plug and 30 minutes time I think it a keeper.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 12:12 PM   #9
Registered Member

This is a repost of the daily post.
My 97 4x4, 2dr, 350ci, auto, Tahoe would go 90 to full, about 300 to quarter, 70 to E. With the Halos 200 to full, and now I've go 403 miles on the tank and I'm a needle above 1/2! Instead of 460-480, I think I might be able to squeak 600 out of this tank!
katman@everestkc.net

For AMSOIL products
https://www.lubedealer.com/kat

For Herbs from the Amazon
https://www.168336.amazonherb.net
GasSavers_katman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:14 PM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
from what I remember reading a while back, side gaped plugs make a more avalible flame, but the spark is cooler from being so close to the insulator, but that the insulator is more avalible to flame from combustion, so it stays cleaner and is less likely to foul, but some engines are designed with traditional spark plugs in mind, so what works on one brand of car, or one modle of engine might not work as well with other brands, I've also been told by people at the auto parts stores not to bother with side gaped plugs on a Honda, that they got negative feed back from people who clamed a loss of proformance, and smooth running.
I'm not sure exactly what a narrow gap does, but was reading that a larger gap is more likely to ignite a leaner mix, of course to wide a gap and the spark has a hard time jumping the gap.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote