Stats and Standings: Beginning July 2, 2007 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

Stats and Standings: Beginning July 2, 2007

Hey FETC Challengers...

Here's the new spot to report weekly accomplishments or tank updates. As soon as I get off my lazy bum, Cycle 3 updates will be posted. Good luck!

Commish

Old 07-19-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
FE nut

I filled up last night. I travelled 388.0 miles and used 4.78 gallons for 81.17 mpg. I'm going to Hybrid Fest 2007 and I'm leaving about 6:30 pm Friday and coming home Sunday. This highway trip will pull the numbers down a bit but I'm hoping for 75 mpg on the tank by the time I get back.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
Old 07-24-2007, 05:07 AM   #3
Registered Member

filled this morning. 606.3 miles on 8.713 gallons = 69.59 mpg. I fell below 70 , I blame the 200 miles of highway driving I don't normally do that was on this tank (55-60 mph min with no EOC ops + some wot to 60 mph merging with semis). Yeah, excuses excuses.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:22 PM   #4
Registered Member

Commish, does this mean we don't need to report to our team captians anymore, just post it here? Here's my latest:

Porthos, Team OPEC Busters. 07/23/2007, 445.116m on 13.11g for 33.93 US mpg.

Not as good as last week, but still better than my pre-mod PB. Mods this tank: 40psi in tires, partial grill block, shaved passenger mirror.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:23 PM   #5
Registered Member

Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2man View Post
Commish, does this mean we don't need to report to our team captians anymore, just post it here?
That's right -- with several teams, updates are based on actual GasLog data (easier and more accurate). Which reminds me, current stats/standings should be updated in the next day or so...

Keep up those great tanks...

Commish
Old 07-26-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
Registered Member

Commish,

Since you're getting the data from the Gaslogs, I have to ask -
Per each car, are all miles equally weighted? That is, are you totalling up all the miles and all the gallons then dividing? That method weights all miles and gallons equally for that car.

Or the alternative would be to grab the mpg values directly off the gaslogs, and average them. That method weights each tank equally - so a short tank of only 4-6 gallons and maybe 100-200 miles would have as much "weight" (significance) as a long tank of 10-20 gallons and many more miles for that same car. If the short tank was unusually high or low mpg for whatever reason, then the short tank skews the results.

I had to ask....

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:57 PM   #7
Registered Member

Cumulative vs. Tank Averages

Oddly, no -- it doesn't. The tanks are averaged regardless of cumulative distance/consumption.

Manual calcs of the baseline use the same technique.

As I think about it, this is an excellent point. With the data extraction that I receive, it would be simple enough to implement the cumulative procedure.

If everyone is cool with the new plan, it will take another week to get an approximate stats/standings published.

Standby for a poll...

Commish

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
Commish,

Since you're getting the data from the Gaslogs, I have to ask -
Per each car, are all miles equally weighted? That is, are you totalling up all the miles and all the gallons then dividing? That method weights all miles and gallons equally for that car.

Or the alternative would be to grab the mpg values directly off the gaslogs, and average them. That method weights each tank equally - so a short tank of only 4-6 gallons and maybe 100-200 miles would have as much "weight" (significance) as a long tank of 10-20 gallons and many more miles for that same car. If the short tank was unusually high or low mpg for whatever reason, then the short tank skews the results.

I had to ask....
Old 07-28-2007, 05:37 AM   #8
Registered Member

I agree. The only way to do it and be objective is to do it per total miles...otherwise some joker with really good MPG could fill up 3 gallons at a time to increase his/her team's stats.

I myself am considering 1) "calilbrating" the lower end of my gas gauge (i.e. when needle was at 1/8 it took 9 gallons to fill), then 2) making a drop down in fill up volume by waiting until the needle hits 1/8 and only put in 4-5 gallons of gas (the same amt every time). This will lower my vehicle's average weight by 20 lbs. or so and potentially increase FE.

Team: Right Lane Rollers
Old 07-29-2007, 08:47 AM   #9
Registered Member

Sg ws showing 37.x and when i refueled i made sure top click it at least 2 times to stay consistent and recorded 318 mile- 7.70 gallons of gas. 41.28.

CO: what do i ned to get a cd??

Old 07-29-2007, 09:17 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LxMike View Post
Sg ws showing 37.x and when i refueled i made sure top click it at least 2 times to stay consistent and recorded 318 mile- 7.70 gallons of gas. 41.28.

CO: what do i ned to get a cd??
You just did it. Congrats. PM me.

Closed Thread