Old 06-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #11
Registered Member

A mid-late 90's 1.9l SOHC Saturn SC with automatic trans will get 35+

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasUser View Post
Out of your choices, I would pick either the Cavalier or the Saturn.

You list a Cobalt in your sig. What is wrong with that? You should get 35+ easy in it I would think.
It is a SS, thus being turbocharged and is rated at 22/30 mpg and I have to use premium. I am looking for a cheaper car to use most days. I want something with cheaper tires/brakes/gas etc. My current tires on my SS are $800 and I am will be lucky to get 20,000 miles out of them.

bri203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #13
Registered Member

well stop drivin it so hard and tires will last lol. even el cheapo tires have a 40K warranty...
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:26 PM   #14

Malibu Maxx

My wife has a 2004 Malibu Maxx. EASILY can get 38.5 on long open highway stretches. The way she drives it's 27.6 average mileage, I get about 33-35 combined. More cargo room than a Jeep Liberty.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:23 PM   #15

I would recommend a 1995 Saturn SL-1 with a 5 speed. My stepdad had one and would regularly get 40MPG with a slipping clutch. I say the 1995 because it still had the OBD-I computer (which sucks for diagnosing a problem, but got better mileage). Plus it was the first year they offered cup holders.

If you wanted to autocross it, while getting decent mileage, I would recommend a pre-1996 Saturn SC-2 with a 5-speed. I had a 1993 and while it was no race car, it had pretty good acceleration through 3rd gear (side note: DO NOT SPIN THE TIRES IN THIS CAR!! You can and probably will destroy the transaxle). If and when I drove mine responsibly, I got mid 30s in it. As far as insurance goes, when I turned 18 and started paying for my own insurance, it was only $56 a month.
Ratman667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:26 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
well stop drivin it so hard and tires will last lol. even el cheapo tires have a 40K warranty...
It's the expensive tires that have shorter, or no, warranty.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:27 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
I know what you mean, but whats the point of owning a sporty car if your going to drive it with lack of excitment. It would be a waste of upgrading to the SS model.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:23 AM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I can certainly understand that reasoning, but there is something worse: Driving a lame old non-SS economy car with lack of excitement. If you're doing the same driving either way, why bother getting another car for it?

I mean, it's just lame to have a nice car rotting in the driveway while you spend most of your driving time in some piece of crap*. Especially if you're concerned about safety...why not just drive the SS like you'd drive the Saturn, only during the times when you'd be driving the Saturn? The money you save not paying for another car, extra insurance, and maintenance can be spent on gas getting a few less MPG if you don't have the self control.

*: I'm not saying that any particular car is a piece of crap, but it's all relative and people who do that sort of thing (I see them on other forums too) tend to describe what they're driving as a piece of crap.

Anyway, just because you drive for economy doesn't mean you can't have excitement often and speed sometimes. One thing I do to save gas is taking curves at whatever speed I'm already going. On my commute I know my turns and approach them carrying whatever speed I'm going to use. Then I don't have to spend gas re-accelerating after the curve...and I get to enjoy my car's decent handling.

There's a few users here who drive very much for fuel economy, and race the same car in events too.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:10 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I can certainly understand that reasoning, but there is something worse: Driving a lame old non-SS economy car with lack of excitement. If you're doing the same driving either way, why bother getting another car for it?

I mean, it's just lame to have a nice car rotting in the driveway while you spend most of your driving time in some piece of crap*. Especially if you're concerned about safety...why not just drive the SS like you'd drive the Saturn, only during the times when you'd be driving the Saturn? The money you save not paying for another car, extra insurance, and maintenance can be spent on gas getting a few less MPG if you don't have the self control.

*: I'm not saying that any particular car is a piece of crap, but it's all relative and people who do that sort of thing (I see them on other forums too) tend to describe what they're driving as a piece of crap.

Anyway, just because you drive for economy doesn't mean you can't have excitement often and speed sometimes. One thing I do to save gas is taking curves at whatever speed I'm already going. On my commute I know my turns and approach them carrying whatever speed I'm going to use. Then I don't have to spend gas re-accelerating after the curve...and I get to enjoy my car's decent handling.

There's a few users here who drive very much for fuel economy, and race the same car in events too.
You mention several good points.
Believe it or not but I buy a seond car and issue it as my primary car my insurane will go down!
Chek out... My are is more expensive to insure than a BMW M3, Corvette, or an XLR.
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...s-allcars.aspx
Old 06-07-2009, 05:36 PM   #20
Registered Member

I wish I could get that kind of arrangement. Every car I add only adds to my insurance cost. I don't get any discount for a vehicle being "secondary". I pay and pay and pay, and then I pay more.