Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2009, 08:34 AM   #31
Site Team / Moderator

Poor Buick...

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:58 AM   #32
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
It's cool tho, they don't care about broken ac or any of that. I'd lost all the trim pieces in my car, the ac was on the way out, the engine ran crappy since the timing was messed with, none of that they cared about, except I did have a receipt from when i had someone put in new timing chain tensioners and dampers, that helped a lot since it had only been driven about 300 miles after that work was done.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:49 AM   #33
Registered Member

hopefully, I don't have to worry about insurance on my car (claims I mean). I have been pretty lucky. I say that very quietly because I realize that anything can happen. if you drive responsibly, others may not.

my hope is to sell my car to a junkyard when I am done with it. being that nobody else would want it.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:43 PM   #34
Registered Member

Thanks for all of the replies.

I think I am going to keep my eye out of 96+ SL2 withe the DOHC cam motor. The SOHC make less power and are known to die around 150,000.

Thanks
bri203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:45 AM   #35
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to jeep45238
I wouldn't run away from one made after 99, the fixed the head casting in 99 or 2000, can't remember which.

The DOHC's are solid, but will burn oil if maintenence is neglected and a top quality oil isn't used.

jeep45238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:36 AM   #36
Registered Member

if you happen across a cavalier, you may want to consider it as well. I got mine for 2K when it had 95k miles on it. it's at 186k now with no big maintentance items so far. my mileage isn't the best out there but it isn't bad.

I think it boils down to the deal you can get at the time. if you happen across a half way descent car (depending on year and model) go with that. the point is to get an affordable gas saving car. if you don't get as good as others but your car costs practically nothing, you are still to the good.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #37
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
if you happen across a cavalier, you may want to consider it as well. I got mine for 2K when it had 95k miles on it. it's at 186k now with no big maintentance items so far. my mileage isn't the best out there but it isn't bad.

I think it boils down to the deal you can get at the time. if you happen across a half way descent car (depending on year and model) go with that. the point is to get an affordable gas saving car. if you don't get as good as others but your car costs practically nothing, you are still to the good.

Exactly.... to be honest this car will be consider my "beater". I won't mind parking it the grocery parking lot etc. It will be fun to experiment with mileage tricks, removing weight, and maybe doing some autocrossig with it.

bri203 is offline   Reply With Quote