SuperMID revisited - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-08-2006, 04:08 PM   #11
Registered Member

Lap trips? Could you set a specific distance interval and then the MID would reset once that interval is passed? As long as it stored the previous data it would be quite useful for tests...if distance is working of course.

Old 06-08-2006, 04:30 PM   #12
*shrug*

I would see if you can convert to an electronic VSS like I did.

Matt: the cable speedo doesn't convert the electronic symbol in the same way, which would explain why it would work but the ecu would still throw a vss code until I put the electronic vss in.

95metro, good luck with whatev you end up doing, I love my MID, but mehbe that's just me.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 05:09 PM   #13
Registered Member

95, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that you've already got a digital signal.

I just went out and checked my car: it's got a mechanical speedo cable from the tranny to the firewall, so like katman suggests, the conversion from mechanical to electrical must happen in the cluster.

(Glad I checked, actually, since the taller tranny out of the red car would have presented problems if there were a different linkage to the cluster...)
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:08 PM   #14
Registered Member

Do you need multi-port FI to use the MID? The Suzuki 1.0 motors have throttle body injection.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:26 PM   #15
*shrug*

It takes one injectors signal and multiplies it by four, but I'm sure this can be corrected in the fuel parameter to account for three or even one injector, but I'm not to sure how flexible it is.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:59 PM   #16
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
It takes one injectors signal and multiplies it by four, but I'm sure this can be corrected in the fuel parameter to account for three or even one injector, but I'm not to sure how flexible it is.
My understanding is that you calibrate the supermid to a certain distance. This essentially means that as along as some observable injector pulse is there the supermind can be calibrated correctly to your engine.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:02 PM   #17
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Matt: the cable speedo doesn't convert the electronic symbol in the same way, which would explain why it would work but the ecu would still throw a vss code until I put the electronic vss in.
This would make sense except for the fact that everyone who has done an obd1 swaps on their civics and doesn't have a VSS code.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:41 PM   #18
Registered Member

from the sound of Dan, he makes the SUPERMID a very accuate device. Having many decimals as compared to only .1 in the scangauge, I'm sure my eyes would have been glued to the SUPERMID way more but the price and the way it looks, plus the install kind of made me go for the scangauge in the first place.

But those are cool features, oh how I wish I had those stats too.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:08 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
My understanding is that you calibrate the supermid to a certain distance. This essentially means that as along as some observable injector pulse is there the supermind can be calibrated correctly to your engine.
A message from your local SuperMID Technical support geek.....

Nooo Matt. There are two inputs, injuctor pulsewidth and distance. Each one has to be calibrated by adjusting the fuel parameter or the distance parameter.

There is enough range in the distance parameter to accommodate just about any tire size, so long as your VSS output meets the industry standard. So far we know that Toyota and Honda use that standard.

As for the fuel metering, that is more problematic. The SuperMID measures one injector and multiplies the result by four, same as the OEM Prius instrumentation does. The mid range of the fuel parameter adjustment is approx equivalent to a 190cc Honda injector X four cylinders. There is enough range to accommodate a 240cc Honda injector and possibly up to a 300 cc injector. Likewise, if a 3 Cyl Metro uses something similar to a 190cc injector, the possibly there is enough range to calibrate the MID even though you have three cylinders.

As for DFPI and TBI, I doubt that you would get accurate numbers. But you would still get numbers that can be converted manually to a FE value. Like I was saying earlier, the MID can be used as a fuel meter. The value returned may not be in liters or gallons, but a value nonetheless. Yes, it is a hassle to convert, but it is better than nothing.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 03:41 AM   #20
*shrug*

Matt, then I wonder what would have caused my vss code to result after the obd1 swap and go away as soon as the vss was installed. It was clearly working the entire time and the wiring was correct.

Anyway, I do wonder what size the metro injectors are.