Suspension issues and Fuel Economy - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
Registered Member

Suspension issues and Fuel Economy

I am curious as to whether leaking struts, and a suspension in need of work would have much affect on FE?

A fellow frugal gas user had some squeeking noises from his '95 Civic, and 3 of 4 struts were found to be leaking after examination. He just wants to live with it for now - $900 fix for all 4 - and wondered whether it would make the gas mileage go down if left as is? (Car has good LRR tires and a recent alignment)

Ms.V.X. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
Registered Member

Re: Suspension issues and Fuel Economy

I know if your shocks go, when you step on the brakes, the rears can sometimes skitter, as they become light and leave road contact. I imagine if the car balloons up and down, that aerodynamically on the freeway, it could create turbulence and slow your car down. In city driving your forward inertia can be directed up and down, consuming energy between shift surges.

So does old shocks burn more gas, yes, but I imagine only by a percentage, will 900 bucks worth of suspension pay for itself, probably not. During a panic braking and swerve event, avoiding an accident, the suspension will pay for itself though.

From somebody who's has crashed, its better not to crash.

GasSavers_Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:47 AM   #3
Lean Burn Mode

Plus new struts can extend your life of your tires.

I agree with the statement above that you will see a very small amount of improvement in FE old verse new.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980

$900 in shocks will save $2 in gas. It'll also make his several hundred dollars of tires last more than 10k miles. I've seen new tires destroyed in less. Used to work in a shop that did tires and suspension and at least every month somebody would come in obviously needing struts/shocks (from tire wear and leaking) get new tires and ignore us telling them they need new anything else... just a few weeks later they're back wanting warranties they can't get because the tires aren't the problem, the car destroyed them.

The question is how long is he planning on keeping the car, if it's being kept till it's not worth fixing, get the struts. If he doesn't want to put money into it: tough. I don't consider replacing an old car with another old car cost-effective because usually unless you're spending as much money in getting a newer car, the replacement old car needs as much work.
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #5
Registered Member

Eventually, any vehicle arrives at the point where the cost of maintenance exceeds it's worth.

If the vehicle is paid off the return on investment is different than one being paid for.

Time to do some arithmetic.
623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:17 PM   #6
Registered Member

Yeah, I agree about the cost/benefit idea with the struts -- and added to that, the excessive wear on the new tires might sway his decision too. Guess it depends on his commitment to keeping this car for the long haul.

It IS paid for, but $900 into a vehicle that he could probably get $2000-$2200 if he sold it is seen as a pretty steep investment right now. However, with gas prices on the rise, it sure is a good FE car to have in the garage!
Old 12-28-2010, 03:05 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Does it really matter what he can get for it if he sells it? Wouldn't the more important figure be his cost to replace it (including sale price of old car and purchase price along with repairs required of replacement)? If he wants to buy a similar car with newer struts it's going to cost a LOT more than his old car sells for...most people never replace struts that aren't broken in half.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
Registered Member

just buy aftermarket struts and put them on. I paid around $200.00 for the struts (plus another $200.00 for the springs), plus $30.00 for a pair of spring compressors. It took an afternoon to change the springs and shocks on all 4 corners on my '95 VX.

You may want to grab some extra lower mounting bolts, though, if yours have never been out. I twisted one quite a ways getting it out.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:04 PM   #9
Registered Member

Ah my secret dream...to have a male friend who is actually a mechanic! (or at least mechanically inclined) This guy can barely screw in a light bulb correctly -- so although it's a great suggestion to DIY the struts - it's just not gonna happen.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:09 PM   #10
Registered Member

Which is why God made mechanics.

Ask which mechanic your friends, associates and acquaintances, which mechanic they would recommend to their sainted mother in-law and grandmother.

623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote