Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 09:01 AM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
test loop results

I checked my tire pressure about half an hour after my ride and since November when they were all 38.4psi they dropped a little and are now showing 37.6psi except 38.0psi in the right rear near the muffler and down wind from the breeze cooling them off.

Ocean Drive this morning, my standard test loop 12 miles I got 47.8 MPG then I continued to Middletown and back and it went up to 48.6 MPG total 20 miles. Best test loop was 43.6 mpg and typically in the 41-42 range. Same tank of gas as before only difference is the Slick50 Gear lube in the tranny. Do ya think the stuff works or what?

Old 03-14-2006, 05:59 AM   #22
Registered Member

XcelPlus

Was wondering why XcelPlus wants you to have 20,000 miles on the engine before adding their produce so I wrote them...

I ASKED:

I was wondering why you recommend waiting so long before using your product in a new engine. I have a new 2006 Scion xB and would like to start increasing engine efficiency as soon as possible.

Their Reply:

--- Bill Smith <brsmith@xcelplus.com> wrote:

The reason is that the rings in the engine will not seat properly. The product reduces heat in the combustion chamber when it coats the cylinders therefore the rings cannot seat properly. We have been at this now for 30+ years take our word for it.
Thanks,
Bill
Xcelplus International Inc

Old 03-14-2006, 09:19 AM   #23
XFi
Registered Member

XcelPlus

Hey JanGeo, those are some good numbers. Seem almost 'too good to be true'. Very well may try XcelPlus in my transaxle. Keep us updated if you would. Thanks

Join us for the November 22, 2008 Pennsylvania Meet at Cabela's!
https://www.gassavers.org/showthread....634#post121634
Old 03-21-2006, 03:57 PM   #24
Registered Member

Update

Seems the test loop mileage is still up there - 46.3mpg today - did some highway driving this past weekend and didn't get that great a result - only about 42 mpg but blasting at 86mph I would expect some lower readings. Emailed Synlube today and got a reply, looks like a better deal than any additive - you get lifetime lubrication and a 3 year oil filter plus the oil has Moly, PTFE and Graphite suspended in it with very small partical size and a filter that works better than any OEM filter. Hope that I get a little increase in MPG along with it as that would be the whole point of using it.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:27 PM   #25
Registered Member

I think the reason people are leary...

To answer your first post, I think folks here are leary about additives because of the infomercial style of the "Slick-50's" of the past, or the pyramid sales of other brands. An additive company or "independent lab" paid by the company can produce results, but we, the gassavers.org public, need a reproducable experiment to prove the worthiness of the product. At least 3 trusted, separate members should try it, or one person with many tests, with certain degree of statistical significance. Otherwise, most folks probably won't spend the extra dough for the "maybe" or insignificant.

RH77
Old 03-23-2006, 01:59 AM   #26
XFi
Registered Member

Jumping on the additive wagon?

OK, going to do it. Ordered the Xcel-Plus on line. Should have it for the weekend. Let's see if this is as 'slick' as they claim. Will post my results. Wish me luck

Old 03-23-2006, 02:52 AM   #27
Registered Member

good luck

I am looking at www.synlube.com and gave my brother some web page printouts but he doesn't like the idea of acids building up in the oil - apparently their oil doesn't form acids because it doesn't contain compounds that break down into acids. Still need to see the reocurring costs with their system of oil and filter.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:31 AM   #28
Registered Member

OK scarey stuff

The temps are finally getting a little warmer today here in Newport so I took a slow ride from one side of the island to the other and after 17 miles got 53.5mpg on the SG.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:37 PM   #29
XFi
Registered Member

Xcel50...no...SlickPlus...no... XcelPlus

Well, I did it. Recieved and added the 4oz. Transmission additive as well as the 12oz. Engine additive. Will let it in for 500 miles and change the oil filter (just in case) and then planning after a total of 1500 miles to drain both engine and transaxle...replacing with Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Oil.

Mid tank right now, but lets see if I get some mileage improvement next tank.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:28 PM   #30
Registered Member

Change?

Why are you taking it out sooooo soooonnnnnn - leave it in longer - when I used Teflon additives I changed the oil and added it and ran it 8000 miles or even longer to leave it in as long as possible. If you expect the filter to get clogged forgetaboutit - some of the stuff may get trapped in there but most of it will blow right though the filter - it should anyway - may be a good idea to take the filter apart afterwards and see. I did that a few times - only changed the filter every other oil change - not much point in changing it sooner if it was still working. My delima is I have a bottle of Slick50 engine treatment but have decided to use the Synlube after the first oil change - only thing is I already added Slick50 Gear lube to the tranny.... what to do what to do....

Closed Thread