Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 01:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Teflon - Slick50 - Synlube + Oils & Additives

Hey anyone using any oil additives - I don't see any discussion on them here. I have used them for over 30 years and they worked for me. Need to get some into the new xB after the first oil change. Slick50 Gear Lube, Grease, Engine treatment, ProMotion (not available anymore I think)

Old 01-26-2006, 02:31 PM   #2
FE nut

Slick 50 is not as good as

Slick 50 is not as good as it used to be. I don't remember the specifics, but there was a problem with the people who were running the company name and the one guy kept the name while the other guy kept the formula. The guy with the original formula sells it under the name Xcel Plus. The address is http://www.xcelplus.com/

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
Old 01-26-2006, 04:00 PM   #3
Registered Member

Slick50 name change

Huh so that's what happened - haven't used the motor oil treatment in a long time - bought several Pro-Motion treatments and after a few years the plastic containers actually leaked the motor flush right through the plastic containers it comes in. Still have a little gear lube left in a can from way back and some grease that doesn't go bad. I will have to check out the xcelplus. Thanks!!
Old 01-26-2006, 04:04 PM   #4
*shrug*

Is there anyone that can

Is there anyone that can corroborate their University of Utah claims that this stuff actually does reduce friction by 15% or whatev while raising power and fuel economy by about that much?
Old 01-26-2006, 04:41 PM   #5
Registered Member

treatments

Well that Xcel Plus is not cheep . . .

I have used Slick50 ProMotion and Tufoil and they all work and I can't say if any work better than another but the Tufoil I think had to be added again after 30-50k miles but you would expect that anyway. I did get the transmission and rear end of my R100S BMW teflon impregnated by a company in Delaware many years ago. Man talk about a cool process - parts came back so slippery you would drop them right out of your hands. My transmission will shift on the centerstand with the pressure of your little finger. Mileage went from 40mpg to 60mpg taking it easy and pushing it would drop it to 50mpg. The most amazing thing was bump starting it in First gear would normally lock the rear wheel - not so anymore but second works better.

Hardest part about adding these treatments is that they recommend waiting for 20k miles on new engines.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:18 PM   #6
*shrug*

So this stuff gave you a 50%

So this stuff gave you a 50% increase in fuel economy?
Old 01-26-2006, 06:56 PM   #7
Registered Member

Not really a stuff

Yeah I guess it did but it is not really stuff . . . it requires you to remove the parts and they pressure heat treat them with a teflon gas that makes it penetrate into the metal. Pistons wrist pins cranks can all be treated but I only did the transmission and rear end. The rear wheel which normally would rotate about 1/3 to 1/2 revolution if you spin it by hand will now rotate more than a complete turn. I did all the gears and shafts in the transmission and the gears in the rearend. It also coats the seal surfaces reducing the drag on them and will extend the life of all parts treated. I also added Slick50 Gear lube treatment to the Spector Motor Cycle 80/90 weight gear oil. The previous owner used to get in the low 30's for mileage but I dropped the carb needles and leaned it out right away which took care of the black smoke at full throttle. The big thing is it still hauls and in top gear it will climb from 60 mph right up to red line and beyond if you don't back off. Rear end runs much cooler - used to get almost too hot to touch. Tranny almost always shifts without a clunk which if you knew anything about BMW boxers - they don't normally shift that well. Might be worth doing to a car if they were not so hard to take apart since the return would be useful longer.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:13 PM   #8
*shrug*

How much did it cost for all

How much did it cost for all this? Is it by type of part or what?
Old 01-26-2006, 07:20 PM   #9
Registered Member

Different additives are

Different additives are going to give different results, but from what i'm trying to achieve with additives is improved engine protection, even if it happens to sacrifice fuel economy in this particular department. Based on wear tests and used oil analysis the 'valvoline synthetic oil treatment' is a great product, it just happens to be really thick. I've used other additives in the past, bu there aren't that many out there that make any differences in wear tests or used oil analyses.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:41 AM   #10

When I was a little kid, I

When I was a little kid, I remember seeing a slick 50 booth set up at a drag race. They were running a 350 with the oil pan off and the guy was spraying a garden hose up on the crank. I was horrified, but it continued to run.

Closed Thread