Temperature of air in my intake - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2006, 10:48 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:i am going to see if i

Quote:
i am going to see if i can raise up the temps some more with alluminum foil and other insulation stuff (it won't look pretty).
I went on a fairly short drive and was around 150F today. It looks like the aluminum foil works. Ambient air was 60F today.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:45 PM   #12
Registered Member

Re: I can't believe how much my

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
I can't believe how much my car hates warm air. A couple weeks back I tried a little warmer air by flipping around the Civic snorkel thing so it sucks air from behind the radiator instead of behind the headlight. I have about half the radiator blocked (guage reads exactly the same as before), but the air can't be very hot.

Anyway, it worked fine during cold weather, but when it gets over 70 it'll ping like crazy at high throttle settings. Doesn't matter the RPM. I flipped it back and it works fine again. This is a dead stock D16z6, and I checked the timing not long ago. I'm glad I tried the free/simple path before something more elaborate.
I had the same problem, so I just went up an octane level in the Winter, and then use Premium in the warmer months. The cost-benefit ratio may vary, but it's worth it for me. I max out at 160F, and I had pinging at around 110-120F, so I'm guessing that's where you were at.

Old 05-12-2006, 01:23 PM   #13
Registered Member

Re: Quote:i am going to see if i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickflipjr
Quote:
i am going to see if i can raise up the temps some more with alluminum foil and other insulation stuff (it won't look pretty).
I went on a fairly short drive and was around 150F today. It looks like the aluminum foil works. Ambient air was 60F today.
You need to make sure it doesn't get hotter than about 200f when it gets to the throttle body or you'll find the engine running rough and retarding spark

cheapybob is offline   Reply With Quote