The Beast is heavier than I thought... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow The Beast is heavier than I thought...

I took a neighbor's old stove down the street to the recycling place. Aside from getting $0.01/lb for the stove ($2.00), I found out that the weight of the truck exiting the facility was 5,950 pounds. I had thought the weight listed on the title of 5,500 was high, but to my surprise the truck actually weighs more.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Wow! How much could that cap possibly weigh? That kind of weight sounds more like a 2500 than a 1500.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
Site Team / Moderator

The cap is fiberglass. It can't possibly weigh more than 100 pounds, and that's including the glass.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
Registered Member

maybe you picked up a stray pregnant saint bernard!
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
Site Team / Moderator

Well, even subtracting my 230 lb butt out (Which I don't think I should, because my weight is there while the vehicle is being operated.), its still heavier than I think it should be.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:05 PM   #6
Registered Member

Sometimes vehicle weights can surprise you...I loaded up my '65 Plymouth station wagon with several hundred pounds of newspapers once...unladen weight of the car turned out to be about 4600 lbs, IIRC. That was with me in the car, but I only weighed 140 lbs then (that was 32 years ago...I've put on about 60 more lbs since then!)

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:20 AM   #7
Site Team / Moderator

We used to always load up our old 1980 Bonneville wagon with papers. My mom & I had a paper route that had about 300 stops. On Saturday (Big paper because there was no Sunday edition) we'd have to fold down all the back seats and sometimes I had to put a bundle or two with us in the front seat because there wasn't enough room.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:00 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
I took a neighbor's old stove down the street to the recycling place. Aside from getting $0.01/lb for the stove ($2.00), I found out that the weight of the truck exiting the facility was 5,950 pounds. I had thought the weight listed on the title of 5,500 was high, but to my surprise the truck actually weighs more.
Here's the thing. Who knows where the different State Motor Vehicle Departments get their weights from? I always wondered that myself. They always seem low on every vehicle I have ever had. (we are talking about different States here too)

Both my registered vehicles weights are wrong (too low) For instance, my jeep is listed as 3,890 on the registration. The Mfg says it is 4,290 if I remember correctly. (in any case it is higher than the motor vehicle dpt listed weight) You would think they would match if you guess they get the weights from the vehicle mfg??? Also I think that is listed as "curb weight" or something like that by the mfg...... So then you fill the gas tank, throw some misc emergency stuff in there (200 pounds) and then get in it (another 170 pounds for me) etc, etc, and you will never see the Mfg listed weight again.

Also, it is my understanding that those scales are supposed to be "certified" but who knows?

I have not been on the scales at the landfill in a while but now I wonder myself also.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:07 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
In RI, the motor vehicle department gets the vehicle's weight from whoever registers it. It's just a blank you fill in next to year, make, model. If you put in less your cost to register it is less, but if you get weighed by a cop you'll get a ticket for being overweight.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:27 AM   #10
Site Team / Moderator

The vehicle scale had a current Commonwealth of Virginia certification sticker on it. I didn't take it to the landfill. To recycle a stove at the landfill they want the stove, and $10. The landfill is 20 miles away. I drove to a recycling business 3 miles away, and they paid me $2 for the stove.