The little experiment that couldn't. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2006, 06:51 AM   #1
Driving on E

my engine swap is on the horizon (a month maybe? As soon as it quits randomly snowing here) I figured I could try a few things to determine if they help with gas mileage. The main thing I wanted to try was to relocate the o2 sensor by switching t

Considering my engine swap is on the horizon (a month maybe? As soon as it quits randomly snowing here) I figured I could try a few things to determine if they help with gas mileage.

The main thing I wanted to try was to relocate the o2 sensor by switching to a different exhaust manifold. In theory an o2 sensor that is closer will react better and help adjust AFR quickly.

I already have the exhaust manifold, so I went to the junkyard in hopes of getting a different catalytic converter as well as a shorter downpipe. in theory they should all fit.

Well, apparently there is some silly federal law that says you can't sell used catalytic converters. Who knew?!?!

I don't want to try to much more on this project, so unfortunately i won't be able to do it.

Unfortunately modifications take money.

I may, however, be interesting in helping someone else do the same experiment.

Just wanted to return and report.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:12 AM   #2
Registered Member

wouldn't it be better to

wouldn't it be better to have the o2 sensor closer but that is a wideband. I think the best results would be a closer o2 that is a wideband instead a closer one that is a narrowband.

Which sensor will be done?

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:23 AM   #3
Driving on E

Re: wouldn't it be better to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
wouldn't it be better to have the o2 sensor closer but that is a wideband. I think the best results would be a closer o2 that is a wideband instead a closer one that is a narrowband.

Which sensor will be done?
well, I was thinking of an easier experiment than changing the o2 postion, buying a wideband, getting a new ECU, wiring harness, converting to obd1, etc.

If I wanted to utilize a wideband i would have to have the appropriate ECU and it would involve a bit of wiring.

In theory even a narrowband that is closer SHOULD react faster which would yield an improvement in mpg.

The best way to do an experiment is to only change ONE THING and test for changes.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:37 AM   #4
*shrug*

Yes, there is technically no

Yes, there is technically no honda ecu prior to 2001 besides the xv and hx that won't get pissed at you for using a wide band, they don't know how to interpret it, anything over 3.7 volts gets thrown out and anything over .8-1 volt is uninterpretable. I'll have to see if I can get myself I vx cat, what other parts were you thinking you need besides the manifold?
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:43 AM   #5
Driving on E

Re: Yes, there is technically no

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Yes, there is technically no honda ecu prior to 2001 besides the xv and hx that won't get pissed at you for using a wide band, they don't know how to interpret it, anything over 3.7 volts gets thrown out and anything over .8-1 volt is uninterpretable. I'll have to see if I can get myself I vx cat, what other parts were you thinking you need besides the manifold?
What I'm actually thinking now is I'll just get the downpipe from the STD at the junkyard and cut the flanges off of the cat with a hacksaw. I'll take these pieces into a muffler shop and have them make a piece to take the place of the VX cat. In the end it I will use my stock catalytic converter and a custom filler piece. That will be the cheapest and most best option in the long run.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:48 PM   #6
Registered Member

I may have the exhaust parts

I may have the exhaust parts for you, I'll know later if my friend wants to sell them.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:29 PM   #7
*shrug*

I'm yelling at you on AIM,

I'm yelling at you on AIM, but you just went idle, y0. I picked up a cx exhaust today for free from manifold to downpipe, you can have what you need besides the manifold because I'll prolly try and sell that and you have like three of them, . It has the cat and an extra 1 wire with plug if it pleases you to use that.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:04 PM   #8
Registered Member

Another free part?? ROFL You

Another free part?? ROFL

You don't steal them by any chance? lol

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:35 PM   #9
Driving on E

Re: I'm yelling at you on AIM,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
I'm yelling at you on AIM, but you just went idle, y0. I picked up a cx exhaust today for free from manifold to downpipe, you can have what you need besides the manifold because I'll prolly try and sell that and you have like three of them, . It has the cat and an extra 1 wire with plug if it pleases you to use that.
Sorry I was away. Sopranos was on

I'd love a free cat and downpipe. I might be able to use my existing exhaust now and just replace my existing cat with a test pipe... or just run two cats.

Anyway, I'll chat w/you about it tomorrow.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:19 AM   #10
*shrug*

Quote:Another free part??

Quote:
Another free part?? ROFL

You don't steal them by any chance? lol
Yeah, he had a complete swap in his driveway and said to take anything I want, I took everything I could get apart because I couldn't drain the engine oil since there was nothing to drain it into and nothing to sit the engine on. I might go back later and get the full engine.