The Problem with Detroit - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-16-2006, 01:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to tomauto Send a message via MSN to tomauto Send a message via Yahoo to tomauto
The Problem with Detroit

I am really starting to get mad at Detroit's stagnation. Why must they promote their "Flex fuel" vehicles which do worse on a gallon of fuel compared to straight gasoline?

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...3659/index.htm

This article is sad but true. What are we Americans waiting for? Even the news people know the solution if you read the article.

Beater: 1988 Honda Civic DX Hatback - Stripped - 30mpg

RIP: 1996 Honda Civic LX 42mpg - you will be missed

https://tomauto.smugmug.com/Cars
tomauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:42 PM   #2
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomauto
I am really starting to get mad at Detroit's stagnation. Why must they promote their "Flex fuel" vehicles which do worse on a gallon of fuel compared to straight gasoline?

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...3659/index.htm

This article is sad but true. What are we Americans waiting for? Even the news people know the solution if you read the article.
You ask a good question. I have zero idea what they're waiting for. It's just ridiculous. Japanese companies are producing efficent cars left and right. American companies keep making more crappy cars.

Perhaps they think gas prices are going to drop again.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:14 PM   #3
Registered Member

Geography

The answer is simple: Detroit and Washington, D.C. are in the same "state" -- if you know what I mean.

The "Big 3" is no more, and the other 2 (GM, Ford) seems to take forever to make a change, despite their complex, worldwide design and manufacturing systems. Ford is huge in England, but their paltry lineup here in the 'States combined with a low statistical reliability means they're in serious trouble. GM -- don't get me started. I so badly want to like them as I grew up in the "Steel Belt (now rust belt)" of Ohio where everyone drove US Iron and knew someone that worked for GM. That's all our family bought: Chevy and Olds. Today, it's a different world, and even though GM grossed more money than any other care maker, their net profit wasn't nearly close -- too many rebates. I honestly don't know what to do for them. GM needs to loosen up and Ford needs to do more market research.

RH77
Old 08-16-2006, 10:05 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to tomauto Send a message via MSN to tomauto Send a message via Yahoo to tomauto
GM's problem

Not only the rebates they have to deal with, but now all their retired workers are wanting all the benifits (as in paid retirement) they were promised when they were working. GM needs to declare bankruptcy and reform....GM wouldn't have the money if it wasn't for China's growing demand for the automobile and the American way of life.
Beater: 1988 Honda Civic DX Hatback - Stripped - 30mpg

RIP: 1996 Honda Civic LX 42mpg - you will be missed

https://tomauto.smugmug.com/Cars
tomauto is offline   Reply With Quote