Things To Look For When Buying A Civic Vx??? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-01-2007, 11:48 AM   #1
Registered Member

Things To Look For When Buying A Civic Vx???

The one I am looking at is white, 178k, clean car fax, no rust or major body damage, rip on the drivers side seat bolster, besides that a clean interior, 2 new tires, new brakes and resurfaced rotors, records of oil changes for the last 4 years, a/c serviced in last year it blows cold, the paint could use a good buffing. I am going to get some more photos of the car today the ones I have were taken with a cell phone so they look like crap. Oh, this one has mudflaps, and a radio and passenger side mirror. The guy wants 2200 firm, im going to be taking a 11 hour greyhound trip to get it because flying from tallahassee florida is EXPENSIVE....470 for a one way ticket to Miami..greyhound is 68bucks...and im on a budget.

Let me know if you can think of anything to ask this guy before I go all the way down there to pick up the car. Im getting a diagnostic done on the car to see if any codes show up and to look for oil leaks and tranny leaks etc.

Thanks!

Old 06-01-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
Supporting Member

oxygen sensor check that out

Old 06-01-2007, 11:58 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
O2 Sensor (was it ever replaced/last replaced) check CV Shafts (turn the wheel full lock and do a U-Turn both ways and listen for clicking), Make sure correct spark plugs are installed (The VX uses NGK V-Power Spark Plugs No. ZFR4F-11), Check the condition of the exhaust system, is the car burning oil/antifreeze or leaking any fluids), make sure the rear tailgate hinges aren't rusted to the point of not working (if you plan on using the the rear tailgate), Is the alignment good, umm, that is all I can think of at this moment. Congrats on getting a VX!

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:59 PM   #4
Registered Member

Cool well im getting a diagnostic done would it come up if the O2 sensor needed to be changed?
Old 06-01-2007, 01:01 PM   #5
Registered Member

not really going to have a chance to drive the car till im down there to buy it. The car has no rust....the cv joints are good I asked about that. Ill find out if anything is leaking in a couple hours when the cars gets looked over by the shop.

Crossing my fingers. Who has a VX as there only car? Or do you guys have other cars as well? And is this car good as reliably daily transport. I am thinking yes, its a honda just seems like high mileage....
Old 06-01-2007, 05:49 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
my civic vx has 238,000 miles on it, and I plan to drive it from wisconsin to vermont again later this summer, and of course I'll check my oil, and tire presure, and air filter, and maybe even do an oil change first, but they are an extreamly good, solid car.
sure, things start to wear out after 200,000+ miles, like the drivers door hinge is a bit slopy, and I've replaced the suspension, and it's bushings, and the tranny, but I never felt like it might leave me stranded.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:25 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
My VX is my only car...it now has over 330K miles on it. I drive it on long trips and my daily commutes without even batting an eyelash. Honda reliabilty with awesome gas mileage!

Edit: Adding for future reference

Be sure to check the condition of the 3 grounds for the engine Bay:
The negative cable of the battery to the passenger shock tower
The transmission case to the chassis on the passenger side
The driver's side of the valve cover to the chassis behind the driver's side headlight.

There is an additional ground point on the thermostat housing towards the firewall below the Distributor. This ground point is for the Distributor sensors and Fuel injectors IIRC.

Make sure there are no frayed wires or corrosion on them as well as making sure that they are tight.

If these things are present before a test drive it can affect the running of the car.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:04 AM   #8
Registered Member

I'm coming up to 217,000 Miles on mine.
I'm proactive when it comes to maintenance, &
have Honda do the things I can't / won't.

Get a Genuine paper Honda service manual.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:28 PM   #9
Registered Member

Cool The oxygen sensor: LaF

Yep, check on the LaF. I had a 1992 Honda Civic VX. It got 48 mpg when I first bought but I was a bad owner and didn't replace it. I still got 38 mpg. I drove it for 12 years as my sole car. I drove 140 miles a day to work and back. It only needed one clutch job and one distributor replacements in its 279,000 miles.

I now have a 2008 Honda but a CRV and I only get 27 mpg. I sold my VX "baby" to a good mechanic who could take it into its next life with style. It needed a new transmission which I couldn't do or afford. So it's a keeper car....
HorizonWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:45 PM   #10
Registered Member

I have a 1992 VX. The driver's side seat bolster wear is a common problem. I also advise checking the muffler (mine rusted out after about 80K). Also check the "middle" exhaust pipe for rust. Check very closely for high frequency vibration coming through the steering wheel above 50 mph-it will feel like wheels out of balance, but can be worn rear brake drums-you will really feel it when braking (replacing pads and drums generally solves this). Make sure to double check that the inner door lock latches lock the doors from the inside; both of these on my car broke, and now I can only lock the doors with the key from the outside.