Thinking about CNG - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-02-2007, 04:34 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
but I think it's suitability depends on how much escapes, at around 5% it's equivalent to gasoline in terms of GWP, but if it gets near 10% gasoline whips it's butt.
Losing even 5% would be pretty alarming, I think? Shouldn't the amount lost due to leaks be like maybe .1%? I'm thinking of air hoses and their fittings and assuming that Phill and the GX would be at least as good. If Phill lost even 1%, he'd be blowing up garages pretty regularly... From a consumer acceptance standpoint, Honda would need to make sure that people didn't smell gas in their garages. And from a liability standpoint, they would want to make sure that at the time of line uncoupling, the volume around the coupling that exceeded the LEL would need to be really small... Okay, I think I'm done.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:47 AM   #12
Registered Member

I find it interesting that CNG and LPG would be worst for GHG and GWP due to leakage in getting it. You would think that the small amount that is leaked would be offset by the amount of reduced GHG from being burned. It's never easy. Here's some more info on emissions.

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 08:44 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Losing even 5% would be pretty alarming, I think? Shouldn't the amount lost due to leaks be like maybe .1%? I'm thinking of air hoses and their fittings and assuming that Phill and the GX would be at least as good. If Phill lost even 1%, he'd be blowing up garages pretty regularly... From a consumer acceptance standpoint, Honda would need to make sure that people didn't smell gas in their garages. And from a liability standpoint, they would want to make sure that at the time of line uncoupling, the volume around the coupling that exceeded the LEL would need to be really small... Okay, I think I'm done.
It's not just at the car, although that's probably significant, but over the entire supply chain. It's only a problem because CNG traps roughly 60 times more heat than carbon dioxide, so any and all emissions result in a big spike in GHGs.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 03:30 PM   #14
Registered Member

Okay, thanks, then. Still, that seems so high...
Old 06-02-2007, 03:39 PM   #15
Registered Member

The percentage of CNG lost, or the GWP methane?
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:15 AM   #16
Registered Member

CNG sounds like a great solution. I would love to try CNG, but I've never seen a station that sells it in my life.

atomicradish is offline   Reply With Quote