Thinking of taking a break... - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2016, 09:00 AM   #11
Registered Member

Ben

Like an addict it will take time LOL. Use tape over the display in case you enable it again

You can always find a new hobby like using your smartphone to take pictures of every meal you eat and send them to all your friends, now that is obsessive

Old 10-20-2016, 10:40 AM   #12
Registered Member

I tend to go in circles with my cars, I'll have a fast one, enjoy it, then get tired of fuelling it every week. So then I start driving it slowly, and begin asking myself what the point of owning a fast car is if I only drive it like a pedo past a playground. So then I buy a fuel efficient car, and enjoy the mileage, but then get frustrated when I want to go quick and cant.

Haven't really learnt to find an "in between" car, not in my price range, that's both quick and quite fuel efficient, but that Peugeot GTI came very close, and to date, is still a strong contender!

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:55 AM   #13
Registered Member

Draigflag,

I'm with you on the slow/fast thing.

The only car that I can think of that might be able to live in both worlds is:

BMW 330D

2012 Stats taken from Autotrader.
Average MPG 46.3
0-60 6.5
Top Speed 155

The extra urban figure is 54 mpg and the urban is 36 mpg, so I'm sure it could be a bit Jekyl an Hyde if you wanted it to be.

Oliver.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:50 AM   #14
Registered Member

Yes my friend had the newer one, same as what the police use, with launch control it did 0-60 in 4.7 seconds. But I think if I were to buy a car for performance, I would switch back to a petrol unit, so long as it didn't exceed 1.6 litre in size so decent fuel economy could be achieved if so desired.

Sorry Ben, hijacked your thread again, hope you're keeping notes of those miles...

Old 10-22-2016, 12:14 AM   #15
Registered Member

Ha ha! Well the first fill up is written down, strange to not immediately work out and post the economy. I have been using "Power" or "Normal" mode out of town. Though i've not timed it, 9.5 seconds seems to be the fastest claimed 0-60 time for the Prius. Back in town its in "Eco" mode.
Some people still see a Prius and just have to overtake - but they have to catch me first! I am leaving a lot of people behind at villages & junctions , only to be overtaken a mile or so later as i stay at 60-65.
The Prius is the fastest accelerating car i've owned, on a par with the Honda. The CVT with power mode probably gives it the edge.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:35 AM   #16
Registered Member

Here they come again, mmmm-mm-mm
Catch us if you can, mmmm-mm-mm
Time to get a move on, mmmm-mm-mm
We will yell with all of our might

Catch us if you can
Catch us if you can
Catch us if you can
Catch us if you can

DC5

Go full out and leave in power mode! LOL
Old 10-23-2016, 04:56 AM   #17
Registered Member

Ben / Paul, it sounds like you guys need a VW Golf GTI. It is the perfect car. I know the Germans have the tendency to say that all their cars are perfect, but the Golf GTI ticks all the right boxes. Why didn't I buy a GTI if it's perfect? Because I'm complicated like you guys. Bought the Prius, fuel economy was excellent but the novelty wore off very quick. Bought an AMG, it's super fun but the maintenance cost is ridiculous. I almost bought a Golf GTI, but at least I get to drive my brother's when I go visit and realize what a perfect car it is.

luv2spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:51 AM   #18
Registered Member

Yea the Golf is an obvious choice for many millions, which I why I wouldn't get one, they are so common and I always tend to go for something a bit different if I can. I prefer the new Peugeot 308 GTI for its value, the fact that it has more power, it's smaller, lighter and more efficient and has cheaper tax too. It also has a mechanical LSD and HUGE brakes, and those massaging bucket seats were uber comfy too, it's a no brainer for me. German cars still have a dullness which can take away some of the fun for me.

Old 11-05-2016, 02:55 AM   #19
Registered Member

Ben I was thinking about this the other day. By not entering all your data, you're only fooling yourself and others really. People who want to compare real world data and research fuel economy will be disappointed if people select and choose only their "best" tanks, and leave out the low economy ones. It's cheating the system really, and people will get a skewed idea of what cars actually achieve in the real world. It's all or nothing really, honesty is key.