Thoughts about my car... - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-02-2008, 05:19 AM   #11
Registered Member

you might want to check out some of the safety ratings of the newer smaller cars. they will probably suprise you. these little cars are pretty safe.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qBDyeWofcLY
this video was in a post just a few days ago and it shows some of the features of the newer smaller cars vs the older larger cars.

I also have a father that is very set in his ways (about other stuff) I struggled with things when I was younger but I found that if I could find evidence to show my side of the arguement then he was much more apt to listen to me.

the reason it is so hard to get really good fuel efficiency out of cars these days is first off emissions but secondly is safety. the safety equipment weighs a lot that is the reason you rarely see a car under 2K pounds anymore. and yes I know that the smart is under it but they had to put 4 air bags in it before it was safe enough for the US. I think that a newer small car today is probably safer than the boats of cars from 10 years ago.

hopefully you can show your dad that smaller cars aren't the same as when he was a kid

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:26 AM   #12
Registered Member

Hmmm I don't suppose he'll believe you if you tell him that if a Smart and an H3 had a head-on collision with a 80mph closing speed, that the Smart driver would walk and the H3 driver would probably die.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:48 AM   #13
Registered Member

yeah that is what my dad is thinking. If I'm in a ford focus and I get hit my an h3 I am done. I cant argue to much with that, simply physics prove this but there is also the probability that this will happen.
hockeyadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:36 AM   #14
Registered Member

not arguing the fact about the hummer at all just because of size.

a lot of older people think that because the chevettes and pintos and even omnis and horizons were such safety hazards, that all small cars are like that. My first car was a '93 geo metro with no power steering no airbags and a 3 cyl engine. got great mileage. the yaris (fairly comperable) has several air bags, more powerful motor, more safety features. not as good of gas mileage but safer overall compared to the metro.

I am just saying that there is a big difference with the small cars of today than years ago.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:59 AM   #15

Make them watch these.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qBDyeWofcLY

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uAaGWcw8Xg0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=t3wVvDYOXcE

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eJhtbGRGPRQ

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0FoXrp8Jqco

Keep in mind that if you hit a smaller vehicle with your SUV and injure the other driver, you can be held responsible.
dieselbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:03 AM   #16
Registered Member

Have you thought about carpooling?

Also, is that 30 miles one way or round trip? You might consider bicycling. (Just don't tell dad or he'll picture you plastered to the side of a bus.) In 15 miles of heavy traffic you might even get their faster on a bike!

Just thought I'd point out the obvious...
Nrggeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:18 AM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to baddog671
Get a small bank loan to buy a cheap car. Give your explorer back to your parents and pay your own insurance...
Old 05-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #18

Show the figures to your parents…

30 miles per day = 150 miles per week = 7,800 miles per year
7,800 miles @
--30mpg = 260 gallons @ $3.40 = $884 per year for gas
--15mpg = 520 gallons @ $3.40 = $1768 per year for gas
--10mpg = 780 gallons @ $3.40 = $2652 per year for gas

You could buy yourself a used gas efficient car with what you would save in gas for a year. Either that or they could subsidize your fuel costs since they insist on you having a gas guzzler.

Phrase it as business without emotional trimmings, maybe.
Mayhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:41 AM   #19
Supporting Member

I would agree with Mr Incredible. Just show your parents the calculations that show the total picture of the cost of ownership including an estamated number of miles per year. If they see how much you can safe driving a smaller car, then I cannot see them actually wanting their own son to pay more for driving around than necessary.
McPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:19 PM   #20
Registered Member

I'll give this a try, the problem is just getting them to listen without becoming angry at me because they are the ones paying for my insurance while I am in college.

To the person who said to take out a small loan and buy my own car, I would do this in a heartbeat if I had a job for more that 6 months at a time. Where I go to school (Drexel) we go to school for 6 months then work for 6 months. During the off season of not working I wouldnt be able to afford the insurance. Especially because last summer I got a speeding ticket

hockeyadc is offline   Reply With Quote