Threads Ripe For Piling On - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-19-2007, 08:34 AM   #41
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Nah, you guys are the ones who deserve the respect. Someone who goes away after a little grilling isn't half the man that those of you who do this stuff day in and day out for months are. I would just like for new people to be brought in in a way that helps ensure their retention and helps ensure that they at least receive some benefit. Maybe they aren't willing to be terribly serious, but if they can improve their mileage by 2-5%, then we all benefit. Anyway, I think I'm done. Thanks for participating.
Bill, it seems you're speaking out of both sides of your mouth....there are dudes here that do in fact need a grilling....and I think you know that...otherwise you would not have started this thread....don't back down Bill...stay on the track you started here, as it is a good track.

MorningGaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:39 AM   #42
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
I'm getting the impression you are trying to shame us Bill.
Well, I'm certainly trying to shame us, friggin stoopid nekked apes when we act collectively.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:43 AM   #43
Registered Member

Unhappy Disappointing

This is my 2-cents on the subject. Granted, I am a moderator, but that only kicks-in when something obviously against site policy is noticed, or to organize the FE Challenge Forum. I've been on vacation for a week or so, and just starting checking back in to see what's going on... and I'm a bit shocked to see what members are saying.

I joined GS to find out how to improve my fuel economy. What would happen if I was shunned for having a guzzler hatchback? Of course it wouldn't be fun and I probably would've left.

Consider the following:

-You can say whatever you'd like (providing it's not against the site policy of being obscene, etc.) But remember, words have power and consequences.
-People aren't going to change overnight. If someone with a guzzler joins-up, that means they're concerned about saving fuel (whether it means saving money or not). They may not immediately trade the vehicle, but common sense says that the next vehicle will likely be more efficient.*
*-This can only happen with support instead of discrimination.

Matt can speak to this better, but the site goal is to have a forum for the free exchange of ideas for fuel economy. We can't have that if people are leaving.

I know for a fact that some Senior Members are leaving because of stuff like this.

Whatever fuel you can save is good -- doesn't matter if you're driving a V-10 Expedition, or a Civic. Each of those 2 members, for example, might look for a better vehicle next time. If you look around, it's easy to figure out which vehicles get the best mileage.

In this thread, I haven't seen any post to moderate...
But I'm disappointed in what some have said...

If you find any post that isn't appropriate, as always, notify a Mod or Matt. If it differs against your opinion, that's different. Like I said, say what you like, but think about how it sounds... What the immediate effect is.

-Rick (RH77)
Old 07-19-2007, 10:54 AM   #44
Registered Member

And with that, this thread can probably be shut down... Rick?
Old 07-19-2007, 11:26 AM   #45
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
And with that, this thread can probably be shut down... Rick?
I can't see a rule-based reason to close it at this point. I'm hoping that my previous post will convey the sense of responsibility that members have.

Just like with new members, I'm not asking to change opinions -- just a request to take a cool-down period on the issue, and if folks need to post on the issue, do it with an intent to help others and the forum, instead of creating a shield of isolation.

RH77
Old 07-19-2007, 03:58 PM   #46
Supporting Member

I think the reason people leave the site is that they have nothing else to contribute. If they did they'd be posting about ideas, or things they've done. People have differing opinions, you can try to explain, but you can't MAKE people agree with you.

my favorite thread
88HF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:48 PM   #47
Registered Member

I agree partly with leaving due to having gone as far as thye want to go, but I also think that some people leave due to the tone of a group becoming unpleasant.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:18 PM   #48
Registered Member

I agree that some people may feel they have extracted as much worth out of this site as they can - and for the majority of non-car type people I am sure that is true in a relatively short period of time. Those of us who are apt to stick around longer are 'car people'. We like to tinker, engineer, and just geek out over silly improvements. My wife likes to save fuel and money as much as the next person, but you won't see her here often if at all because she simply isn't into cars to that extent.

It's that way with vitually every forum out there. You have your die-hards, FAQ'ers, and looky-loos. The latter two always go away eventually no matter how nice you are.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:47 AM   #49
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96hb View Post
Well, my wife drives a Navigator and I have a long commute. So, flame away!
OK.

Your mother is a hamster, and your father smells of elderberries!

On the main subject, might I suggest a change in the layout? The board I normally hang out at has 3 separate forums where everything is discussed. One is vehicle performance, one is the BS (everything else) board, and one is classifieds. The advantage with this is everyone can check all posts without it being an all day job like it is here, and that board is recognized as the number 1 Chevy truck performance board with a core group of about 50 people and a membership approaching 600. I keep going there because of the cameraderie even though they are starting to think I'm a closet tree hugger. The simple layout of that board allows it to be the #1 site, because the entire board will be reading all the posts, and applying that considerable mental power to a problem. Here, someone working on aero might only go to the aero board, and will either miss something non-aero that he could use while installing an aero mod, or might have the solution to a problem but never saw the post to respond to.

I'd suggest 4 main groupings here with no sub categories, vehicle performance, home performance, the BS board and classifieds. Making it easier to review will help keep people in, I only come here once or twice a week since it's so hard to get around, keep track of posts, ect, not to mention that with the large number of sub categories it may be weeks between posts. If it's hard to check, people will go away.

I won't go into posting, I know I can come across as an *** using written words so I know others may just appear to be ***-like when in fact it's a shortcoming of the medium. Smileys can help with tempering the post.

Telco is offline   Reply With Quote