Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2008, 05:59 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosco View Post
I'm all for very steep speed bumps.
I'm not, I lived in a neighbourhood that got them. They increased traffic noise and fumes considerably, with people accelerating away from them and banging over them. Also, instead of being generally aware going down the road, the driver tends to fixate on judging the distance to the next speed bump, meaning any kids running out, slow witted pedestrians etc, between speed bumps are less likely to be seen.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:05 AM   #12
Registered Member

On my Del Sol I used the license plate as a grille block by folding the top and bottom edges just enough so the plate fit in the opening. I put it in the center then made two more pieces that filled in either side using a single self tapping screw at the outer ends with the inner end tucked behind the plate. Easy to install and remove.

regards
gary

Old 05-13-2008, 08:40 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
I'm not, I lived in a neighbourhood that got them. They increased traffic noise and fumes considerably, with people accelerating away from them and banging over them. Also, instead of being generally aware going down the road, the driver tends to fixate on judging the distance to the next speed bump, meaning any kids running out, slow witted pedestrians etc, between speed bumps are less likely to be seen.
I lived in a neighborhood that didn't and people would speed through the development at 60 mph and above. I was always worried a kid would get squished or a car would lose control and ride into my yard.

Short of the speed bumps, a cop with a radar gun or a photoradar system was the only answer.
dosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 02:26 PM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
here in Illinois (and most states) you can pay an extra bit (under $100 i think) for a sticker that goes on the back plate that says you don't need a front plate.
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 02:37 PM   #15
Registered Member

Pennsylvania is a one plate state.
GasSavers_ALS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:55 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamesama980 View Post
here in Illinois (and most states) you can pay an extra bit (under $100 i think) for a sticker that goes on the back plate that says you don't need a front plate.
Gotta love Illinois. I lived there for a little over a year and I have never seen a government system that tries to suck every last penny out of you any way they can. It doesn't surprise me that they would offer something (at an added charge) that costs them less to produce to get around their own unnecessary regulation. I also seem to remember that they structured the Driving Courses to be more expensive than the fine, so in lieu of getting point on your license you could pay MORE.

I spent equal time in Illinois and equal in Florida and I got 4 moving violations and 3 parking tickets (in my OWN spot, with the tag on my car) in Illinois and NOTHING in Florida, and it wasn't like I changed my driving habits or anything, my tickets in IL were stuff like 5mph over, and running a red (that *&%& was yellow!). And when I went to check on my driving record you have to PAY to get access to it!

It was also the most expensive state I have gotten a car registered in. I just got my CRX HF titled and registered/tags in Ohio, it was $38. In IL it would have been $143. Actually it would be more than that the $38 included tax, IL would be $143 + sales tax (at a higher rate I might add).

I want to know where all the money is going, because half the highways are toll roads, the gas taxes are higher, the fees are higher etc......and the roads are still in TERRIBLE condition.

/Rant.....Sorry I just really hate Illinois.

opelgt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:01 PM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
We do have front plates in NC; there are two choices: #1 Jesus is my co-pilot #2 gas,*** or grass. nobody rides for free.
Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:30 PM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by opelgt73 View Post
I also seem to remember that they structured the Driving Courses to be more expensive than the fine, so in lieu of getting point on your license you could pay MORE.

And when I went to check on my driving record you have to PAY to get access to it!
Crap, I gotta move to Illinois. I wish I could pay an extra fee to the government once instead of getting points and paying the insurance company for years to come. Gotta pay to get access to your driving record here, too.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:55 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Crap, I gotta move to Illinois. I wish I could pay an extra fee to the government once instead of getting points and paying the insurance company for years to come. Gotta pay to get access to your driving record here, too.
Well in other states I have lived in it was less to take the course vs the fine + Points. Like in Ohio I got a ticket for $140, or I could take the class for $60. Where as in IL it was more expensive to take the class.

opelgt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:47 PM   #20
Registered Member

In the Great State of California, a front plate is required. That being said, I drove my Nash Rambler for several years back in the '80s without one...always carried it in the trunk, in case I needed to wire it to the bumper. Became sort of a game with me. Never had any problem until the car quit running, and I had it parked in front of my apartment on the street for a few months. Finally, a Sheriff's Deputy (or maybe it was one of those volunteer traffic enforcement folks) gave me a ticket...not for having a non-running car on the street, but for no front license plate. So I junked the car (was going to anyway) and went to court telling them that the car was history...paid no fine.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote