Tire shaving - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2008, 12:39 PM   #11
Registered Member

You fellows in the south are lucky as to having close access to good tire services. Not a lot of shops truing or shaving tires in this part of western Canada, this one has good references, and there are a couple of shops in eastern Canada. A couple of local big box stores are providing siping but you take what you get;

http://www.circuittire.com/

Greybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:54 PM   #12

I agree with having tires "shaved" to correct out of round issues (I have always heard that called "rounding" not shaving - just what I have heard, I am not the expert on tires) - and I ABSOLUTELY agree with mustngr that you need someone who knows what they are doing. I was lucky and had a shop that would play with the tires to get them really round for me first (they would check the rims too, swap tires if too out of round, etc.) because they know I run my mouth to everyone and they would get a lot of free advertising.

Come to think of it, finding a quality tire shop is one of the best hidden ways to increase your FE, as it's an expense we all pay, but finding ways to stretch those dollars with better tires and better methods really helps.

Think about the venerable Civic VX with its Low Rolling Resistance tires. If they are rounder, that also increases the effectiveness of those LRR tires by further decreasing rolling resistance.

I don't agree with shaving several pounds, but maybe a couple ounces in truing up a tire's roundness, plus siping can significantly help.