To those who have used COROPLAST - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-09-2008, 06:11 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
i need it liek 5X6 tho, size of my bed or thereabouts, i want to make it one big smooth sheet but i may have to divide it up somehow if cost/availability becomes and issue.

is that shower wall stuff pretty ridid tho? can it withstand at least a foot of snow on it?, hot temps, cold temps, strong enough to resist shattering/cracking if something gets dropped on it? I think I know the stuff ur talkin about but i thought it was too flexable... i dunno ill look around.

One of my friends dads works at a machineing place and they can get huge sheets but its liek 4X8 or somehitng. there is a plastic supply store down the road i could pop into sometime, but i still dunno whats the bets plastic to use for my situation(ie extreme weather, possible impacts, lotsa weight)
Your best bet is the plastic supply company for sure, but it I were going to do it I'd use fiberglass... DOH! They make locking fiberglass covers! Check with someone who sells truck caps.

"If you want to save gas I suggest you permanently remove the drivers seat and steering wheel. That seems to help." -Oscar Halverson

oneinchsidehop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:10 AM   #12
Registered Member

coro

Plastic suppliers sell to the sign suppliers that sell to the sign shops.

I'm a sign shop and pay about $9.00 per 4 x 8 sheet. Just check your yellow pages for plastic suppliers. There's also polypropolene and PVC Foam board.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:06 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneinchsidehop View Post
Your best bet is the plastic supply company for sure, but it I were going to do it I'd use fiberglass... DOH! They make locking fiberglass covers! Check with someone who sells truck caps.
yes true, BUT i want it to be a flushmount cover, meaning i dont want it hanging over the sides. THAT and I can build one out of all steel for less than $200, those fiberglass ones are like $500-$600 and none are flushmount(well theres one for $400 but it sags and cracks over time from what ive heard)

i will prolly head down to lowes and see what they got.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:02 PM   #14
Registered Member

They sell it at Home Depot and Rona here.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:34 PM   #15
Registered Member

yea they had it, it would probably work but i would have to buy 2 sheets
($60) and it seemed almost too flexable.

so whats a lighter, better outsidoor proof plastic?
Old 01-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #16
Supporting Member

Vette, you can get a 10mm coroplast that would be plenty sturdy for a bed cover with minimal framing. Also the shower wall is a good idea. Sometimes home depot sells a fiberglass based shower wall thats pretty sturdy. You could get that and glass the frame to it. Another good source of sheet steel is roofing steel suppliers. We have one locally in tennessee that rolls 29gauge roofing steel in 15 different colors. You can go in and buy the flat stock also.

Project84

you could call these guys and see if they have it. Ask if they sell to the public

Aristech
7350 Empire Drive Florence, KY 41042
Phone:
(859) 283-1501
Business Categories:
Plastic Fabrics Film Sheets & Rods Manufacturers

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:30 AM   #17
Registered Member

Aristech is right down the street from my house..... lol

I'll give them a call
'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:59 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysan View Post
Vette, you can get a 10mm coroplast that would be plenty sturdy for a bed cover with minimal framing. Also the shower wall is a good idea. Sometimes home depot sells a fiberglass based shower wall thats pretty sturdy. You could get that and glass the frame to it. Another good source of sheet steel is roofing steel suppliers. We have one locally in tennessee that rolls 29gauge roofing steel in 15 different colors. You can go in and buy the flat stock also.

Project84

you could call these guys and see if they have it. Ask if they sell to the public

Aristech
7350 Empire Drive Florence, KY 41042
Phone:
(859) 283-1501
Business Categories:
Plastic Fabrics Film Sheets & Rods Manufacturers

hmm interesting, ive held up some 26 guage steel and that seemed to be sturdy enough, 29 guage stuff or flashing as they call it i belive seems way to thin (i have a piece on my chevette, while its strong, it rips easy liek a popcan) yea that shower wall stuff seemed liek a good choice, BUT i would have to add bracing every 10" it seemed tho, i plan to put a slight arch (liek a bubble) in the middle so that will aid in water removal and strength

yea i will have to look around some more, id love to make the frame for it out of aluminum but its just way too expensive for 20+ feet of angle iron...
Old 01-12-2008, 05:19 PM   #19
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
yea i will have to look around some more, id love to make the frame for it out of aluminum but its just way too expensive for 20+ feet of angle iron...
29 gauge steel you can't rip. Its difficult to even cut. If you want cheap aluminum braces look for old sliding glass doors. You'd need about three of them. Also look for window awnings. Add on carports etc. Keep your eyes open.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:32 PM   #20
Registered Member

i plan to weld the bottom frame and top frame then sandwitch the big sheet of whatever in between and secure with small bolts(so if it does break its easy to dissasemble)

i will have to see if my friends dad could get some scraps of different thicknesses then i can compare them(they have a HUGE scrap bin at his work but not useable scraps, im talkin like odd shaped small small triangles, curved chunks etc))