Toyota - Page 7 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2010, 08:46 AM   #61
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Further reading of the recalls tells me that the issue is a defective friction device in the DBW gas pedal designed to give it the expected feel of a cable throttle.

However, if debris is clogging that pedal in Toyotas, or in multiple manufacturers cars, at an abnormal rate...we have to expect people to have debris in their car, so parts like that should be designed to avoid getting stuck in a dangerous position with normal debris around.

While vacuuming around my VW's DBW pedal yesterday, I was thinking about how its bottom hinged design must make it resistant to getting stuck to the floor by mats and debris. It is annoying to drive after having always driven American-style pedals before.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #62
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
FYI - I heard from a guy that examines the car problems at Toyota in particular the Prius cars and he reports that not a single throttle related problem was caused by manfacture defects or software problems. Every one he has seen was caused by carpets and debri getting into the throttle pedal linkage and jamming it. He also says that the pedal assembly is made in the USA in Indiana by a plant that makes Aerospace parts and the same recall applies to certain models of Bmw's, Volvo's, Mercedes, Ford's, & Nissan's.
um wait, so there is a recall by bmw ect that we aren't hearing about?

spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:05 AM   #63
Registered Member

there are many silent recalls that only the owners know about. also, just the owners affected.

I had a dodge truck that had a recall. simple fix, just a wire tie. without it the brake lines would rub the body until they got brittle and broke. they ended up replacing my brake lines just as a precaution. that was 7ish years ago, never heard any big public uproar about that either.

everybody has recalls.....everybody

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:07 AM   #64
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Responsible companies do the recall before there's a big public outcry.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:15 AM   #65
Site Team / Moderator

HC - I remember I used to drive a 68 Chevy pickup when I worked for an air conditioning company during my summers in high school. That pedal was hinged at the bottom. Also, I remember when I drove ambulances one of my trucks was built on an International DT 4700 chassis that had a DBW accelerator pedal. That felt really strange until I got used to it.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:19 AM   #66
Registered Member

http://www.rr.com/news/economy/artic..._Tata_Motors/1
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:15 AM   #67
Banned

New questions about the safety of the pint-sized auto are being raised, however, after one of them burst into flames Sunday as it was being driven home from the showroom.

ugh
`
well I bet since these things have a top speed of 60 if I trailed one of these bad boys I would get about 50mpg(safely) and they would get an extra 5mpg at the risk of the operators peril, ps I paid less than a Nano would cost by far too. after all 58-60 mph is optimum speed for efficiency in my saturn.
spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:43 AM   #68
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
It was that "celebratory garland of marigolds on the front hood" that blocked the radiator and overheated the motor I bet!!!
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:14 AM   #69
Registered Member

You say "celebratory garland of marigolds on the front hood", I say grille block.