Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2006, 05:43 PM   #11
Registered Member

Re: Honda auto trannies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Honda auto trannies generally don't die unless they're severely abused, so I think you've got a while to wait on it,

Just buy a crx!
I'd love to buy a fun car -- it's too bad Honda didn't come out with a convertible until the S2000 (barring of course the very early ones). The goal is to get a fun convertible for the weekends, but also good on mileage. The Del Sol might be an option, but the max budget is 2-grand, so that includes an old Mazda MX-5, or even an ancient MG-B. I'm not a mechanical wizard, so I may just save my money and make the 'Teg more economical and sell the TL to get an '06 Civic.

RH77

Old 02-09-2006, 07:05 PM   #12
Driving on E

Re: Honda auto trannies

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
I'd love to buy a fun car -- it's too bad Honda didn't come out with a convertible until the S2000 (barring of course the very early ones). The goal is to get a fun convertible for the weekends, but also good on mileage. The Del Sol might be an option, but the max budget is 2-grand, so that includes an old Mazda MX-5, or even an ancient MG-B. I'm not a mechanical wizard, so I may just save my money and make the 'Teg more economical and sell the TL to get an '06 Civic.

RH77

Convertible CRX

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:14 PM   #13
Registered Member

Ho-ly Crap

Sign me the F- up. My local fire department will loan me the jaws-of-life tool, so I can cut the roof off. After that, well...

No seriously, very cool. Too bad it wasn't production. That Honda Beat that MetroMPG was talking about sounds cool -- mid-engine, RWD roadster -- but impossible to license in the U.S. Oh, what to do. The Integra and me will probably share a bond for a few years. I just need to get it up to decent marks in the fuel econ category.

Honestly, I'd be happy to have my '99 Si back. The same guy who had the CRX that blew up, just bought a black Civic Si just like my old one. Lucky dog. I could rig up a selectable cold/hot air intake to get power when "necessary" and econ when I don't. I averaged 25 mpg, which wasn't bad for a pocket rocket. So much fun on the autocross circuit -- some guy in an MX-3 V-6 would always beat the crap out of me in my class, but I didn't care. It was fun, I learned a lot, and besides I couldn't afford race tires. Good times...

RH77
Old 02-10-2006, 07:24 AM   #14

Re: The main idea, I believe is

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
The main idea, I believe is to lower rpms. If you're at the same load but only spinning two thirds the times you're squirting one third less gas into the engine,

Auto to manual + hf tranny = huge difference for me

I'm so excited, cruising around town at 1k rpms,
SVO, are you through with your tranny swap?!

I'll be able to document, as I will be going from auto to manual HF within the next few months. I'm starting the rebuild on the tranny tonight...plenty of pictures to come.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:15 AM   #15
*shrug*

Quote:SVO, are you through

Quote:
SVO, are you through with your tranny swap?!
I still can't afford a clutch, I have no job, but I might be getting one for free depending on whether or not I can trade some turbo oil lines to this guy who's getting one from a client of his. Everything else I have besides nuts and bolts.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 05:02 AM   #16
Registered Member

20-30 mpg tranny

Salt Lake inventor has this:

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1,1249,635179379,00.html

Gogins said the transmission will change the world because it would increase mileage in a car from 20 mpg to 30 mpg. "We wouldn't even need a teacup of oil from the Middle East," Gogins said.

iburnh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:43 AM   #17
Registered Member

from

from http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006/02/vw_introduces_6.html

the revised VW Polo reduces fuel consumption by 11% (0.5 liters/100km) to 3.9 liters/100km (60 mpg US) compared to the previous model.

Quote:
Volkswagen achieved the reduced consumption and emission values by using longer gear ratios (gears three to five have 12% to 24% longer ratios); by aerodynamic design of front and rear spoilers; and by other modifications inside the engine.
i suspect the changes listed above are in order of contribution to the FE improvement.

of course being a diesel, they can use even lower ratios than gas cars, since there's more torque low down in the rev range.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:48 PM   #18
Registered Member

note, see new "experiment"

note, see new related "experiment" thread:

rpm/gear choice VS MPG at constant speed
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:11 AM   #19
Registered Member

I've really got to stop

I've really got to stop coming by this site so much, all you guys have me thinking about lately is how to increase my MPG. =)

As far as taller gearing increasing MPG, I would think the greatest advantage would be in reducing the mechanical losses, mostly from the lowered RPM of the engine AND transmission (well at least the input shaft half). The ECU should also be able to better meter the fuel as there are fewer combustion cycles between O2 samplings (or more sampling per cycle, depends on the speed of the processor in your ECU).

Also, engines are normally most efficient at there torque peak (which is a good indicator of the engines peak VE). If you look at a CRX Hf, you'll see that the peak torque is about 2,000 RPM, right about cruising RPM.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:21 AM   #20
Registered Member

Re: I've really got to stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunger
I've really got to stop coming by this site so much, all you guys have me thinking about lately is how to increase my MPG. =)
Huh? What else is there? Fuel economy is the ultimate measure of performance. :-D

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote