Ultimate Geo Engine ReBuilder?/Geo Jeff? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

Ultimate Geo Engine ReBuilder?/Geo Jeff?

While I was on Youtube, I'd recently stumbled upon a video by a guy who calls himself "Geo Jeff", who claims to have figured out a way to rebuild a base model Geo Metro engine, so that it is not only provides as much fuel efficiency as an XFI engine; but will also provide 10 more horsepower. Simply put, has anyone ever heard of him? You can also find his website at Jeffsgeometor.com, where he sells complete re-manufactured engines for $1600, $400 for an engine block and cam plus cylinder head for $375.

By all accounts, is this too good to be true, or worth looking into? Listed below are some key points that he's mentioned in his video.

-First, he claims to be able provide a cylinder head that will help you achieve 60mpg from a base model Metro.

-Next, he claims that he will provide an XFI cam if specified, however, he states that his base model cam with cylinder head will provide better MPG. In his opinion, he feels that the camshaft redo is a mistake, given that you can get the same gear ratio or final drive of an XFI with the base model Metro, by going to a 13-14inch tire.

-Finally, he claims that an XFI camshaft will, "de-tune" an engine, whereby making it less efficient. All of this can be seen on Youtube under , "red 1993 Geo Metro, for minute 11:20 to 17:16 red 1993 Geo Metro - YouTube

Thank you.

Davo53209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
Registered Member

All the geos around here have rotted away worse than the Hondas. Seems like he at least has a clue as to what he's talking about.

Rusty94cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
Registered Member

Okay you guys really need to look at this. I've just discovered on his site that he offering a complete engine rebuild exchange for $800. Geo Metro Messiah or something else. At this point, I don't know which; but I feel that more people should look into this guy and chime in.

For the moment, I will be attempting to check out his business records via the BBB in that state. If everything were to check out, this would be an added resource, in addition to 3Tech Performance.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Registered Member

Oh yeah, here's the link...Geo Metro Engine Rebuild exchange (You pull and install) - Hart's Hangout
Old 12-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
Registered Member

Okay everyone, I just got off of the phone with Jeff, from Jeff's Geo Metros. To start with, I must say that the guy was quite a taker, dominating the majority of conversation; but I was able to ask the questions that were most important to me. They were as followed:

-"What kind of a warranty do you have with regards to parts, labor, mileage or defect".
This part kind of bothered me, due to the fact that he did not specify a written warranty; but instead stated that if something small were to go wrong, that it would be best to have the issue fixed locally. If however, there were a major issue, the purchaser should ship the complete engine, or cylinder head back, and the work would be done at no additional charge. There was no mention of reimbursements for the shipping fees; but he did seem to imply that one would eventually be stated on his website. I however wanted a definitive answer.

-Is there a core charge for engines & transmission.
The answer was "yes". $350.00 for transmission. As for engines, I was able to determine this from him. He said that all prices were listed on his website, yet it's not an easy website to navigate.

- Do you provide any testing results for your claims?
He again answered yes, stating that the all his results could be found on his website. He claims that what he builds is performance engine that will provide greater efficiency, while providing 5MPG more per gallon that a factory manufactured base model Geo Metro. Once again, I was not able to navigate through his website to substantiate these results. And finally:

-What's the name of your shop:
I'm sure that it seemed like a redundant question; however the reason I asked was because, I could not find a record of him that was either good or bad on the BBB website in his area. I'm still searching, and hopefully, my efforts will produce results.

In summary, my goal was to get definitive answers to the questions that I'd asked. What I was hoping to hear was: yes there is a written warranty that's hassle free they will firmly stand behind, yes they do have test results that can substantiate their claims, & finally, and A+ listing with the BBB..

In closing, had I gotten all of the answer that I'd asked with a definitive "yes", I would have jumped at the opportunity to do business with him. On a personal note, I am not quite ready to do business with him as of yet, or write this man off, due to the fact I have not gotten all of the facts. I would hate to potentially disparage the reputation of a good man. At the moment, I'm still trying to find a record of his through the Better Business Bureau in his area.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
Registered Member

Just because you don't pay to be a BBB member isn't a bad thing. I do understand you apprenhesion though. Ask for referrals can't hurt. You didn't catch he was long winded fr the video? Also how can you warranty something you don't install. How would he know if you put oil or coolant in it? So... Spend your money and take your chances, or just build one yourself.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty94cx View Post
Just because you don't pay to be a BBB member isn't a bad thing. I do understand you apprenhesion though. Ask for referrals can't hurt. You didn't catch he was long winded fr the video? Also how can you warranty something you don't install. How would he know if you put oil or coolant in it? So... Spend your money and take your chances, or just build one yourself.
Like I stated earlier, I'm not ready to spend my money and take any chances. The purpose of this posting was to present the facts at they came in. You do make a good point when saying one can't warranty what they don't install. As for the man being so called, "long winded", by not mentioning it directly, I was thought I was being polite.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
Registered Member

Yes I know I am a mailman and people will sometimes talk your ear off even when your walking away. I used to wench in a shop and after a major repair motor rebuild motor replacement we always required you to come back in 250-500 miles just for an inspection make sure all is well. No leaks all fluids still topped off. Also always a new radiator t stat all that stuff. You cam cut corners on your car if you know what to look for and how to read gauges. Someone elses well "the oil light was only on for a couple of days". The last engine I rebuilt was a 96 camry 4 cyl. The crank needed turned all new pistons bearing oil pump waterpump. Everything you could get it got I was at 750-800 not counting my labor. Wifes car. The machine shop was like 400$
Old 12-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #9
Registered Member

Well the good news is that I appear to be closing in on more info regarding Geo Jeff. I did happen to find his shop through the BBB (i.e. more on that later as the info arrives) He as also posted on Geometroforum.com and I think quite possibly Economoder.com. I plan to follow up with those guys later; but it would all go quicker if I could get a little help. Agreeing with you, what I'm really looking for are folks who've had work done by him & again, more irons in the fire would be helpful.

What I can say was that I was able to find these two items, which "May" speak somewhat to his integrity, although I am not yet sure. To be very very clear to all, I will not be sold or risk losing any money until I get all of the facts. I'm not looking for that kind of headache.
Geo Metro Technician Job - Hart's Hangout
GEO METRO USED CAR WARRANTY - Hart's Hangout
Old 12-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #10
Registered Member

I see lots of people reading this whereas I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts.
Thank You.