Ultragauge or not? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #1

Ultragauge or not?

So does anyone have any experience with these ultragauges? My 06 Accord doesn't have MPG in the display, and I understand these can track running MPG as well as average. I think that would be convenient to extending mileage, but I need to justify the expense. Also, on 2 forums I read some folks complained that these things drained their batteries when not driven daily. Anybody have that experience?

dtwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:59 PM   #2

>... these things drained their batteries when not driven daily ...

I have a Scangauge, and I've never noticed a problem with the battery being drained. Have run it for a couple of years now. The MPG it displays is indicative rather than accurate, it'll give you an idea of when you are having a bad trip, but you can't always rely on it.

MMUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:57 AM   #3

Apparently Ultragauge is a less expensive verision of a Scangauge. I was really just look for something that would allow me to track my running MPG. I always calculate my average the old fashioned way for accuracy.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
BDC
Registered Member

That's because Scangauges have no batteries.

After using a Scangauge in two vehicles regularly for several months, I don't think it is worth spending $150 on. The MPG monitoring functions are not very useful at all. There is no rolling average or data logging or dumping capability. The engine parameter monitoring is fun to see, but rarely practical to monitor (exception being if you are messing with radiator blocking, it becomes necessary for that). It is basically a glorified code checker. And the MPG monitoring is horribly inaccurate. I am going to be convinced to sell mine off sooner or later.
BDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #5

Ultragauge sells for less than Scangauge. I think like $40-60 range, depending on sourcing. Rolling MPG is what I'm looking for really. That it can read other gauges and codeds is totally secondary.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
BDC
Registered Member

I thought the same thing when I purchased my Scangauge... but speaking from experience, rolling MPG is almost completely useless. The instantaneous effects of wind gusts, slight inclines, potholes, etc. turns out to be much greater in practice than one might think. It makes it extremely hard to compare without any rolling average function. The rolling MPG is just spiking up and down all the time and it makes it hard to give a solid answer for what the instantaneous MPG is. All of the OEM in-dash MPG monitors have short, but effective rolling averages built in -- Scangauge does not, and that to me (along with the lack of datalogging or USB dump) is its critical flaw. Whether Ultragauge is any different, I don't know (but my guess is no).
BDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #7

>...That's because Scangauges have no batteries. ...

Ah, I thought he was talking about draining the vehicle battery, but now I re-read his question I see that I got it wrong, LOL. Yes, the ScanGauge takes it's power from the vehicle's OBDII port.
MMUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #8

So does the the Ultra gauge. And they were complaining of them draining the car battery. Somehow they seem to not turn off on certain vehicles with the ignition like tehy are supposed to.

I probably won't buy one, but I just wondered if anyone had any experience with them. Sounds like something that won't help a lot.

I still struggle with city MPG some. This Honda does pretty good on the highway, even better when I can slow down, but around town it it seems to dip lower than my previous, very similar cars. I short shift and that helps some, but it may just be the nature of teh car. And I have no idea how it was driven the 1st 86K of its life. Anyway, thanks for the input.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:39 AM   #9
zcd

I have had an UltraGuage in my 06 Tundra for over 2 years now and it has been great. I've never had it drain my truck battery and I only drive on the weekends, something else drained their battery or it was becoming weak most likely. The instant mpg and avg mpg is nice, also the engine coolant and air air intake temps are nice to see as well, instead of just a guage pointing in a general area of unknown temperatures. I highly recommend buying one over a scanguage.
zcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #10
Registered Member

No trouble for me. Just remember to calibrate your ultra gauge to your tire wear every now and then.

BottleRocket is offline   Reply With Quote