Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 06:46 AM   #1
Registered Member

Version 2.0

Version 2.0
Here's the plan for version 2.0 of the FE challenge.

The Competition began last Monday the 9th at the end of Version 1.0. Team % EPA will be from that point. So Peak sorry we are already into the cycle. There have been some really good tanks from existing members and don't want to lose those.

We'll have a 42 day cycle. Yes it longer but I think most would stay for 2 and this is shorter than 2 28 day cycles.

Adding new members can be done at anytime. The new member will begin on a Monday once a driver has resigned. No switching teams. If a driver drops he mush wait a cycle before joining a different team. The team % EPA will be calculated using the following method. The % EPA will be calculated using the old members up to the point of retirement. At that point a new team EPA will be calculated using the new drivers 90 day average added to the rest of the team from the beginning of the cycle. At the end of the competition the old and new EPA will be averaged. The min fill and car requirement must be made for the replaced driver.

We'll go ahead and have series. We are in the 2007 Spring series (March-Sept) We have to vary the ending date do to Version 1.0. But will deal with that later. Point will be tally in the following fashion. 1st place receives 3 points, 2nd place receives 2 points, and 3rd receives 1 point. At the end of the series the team with the most point will be SG 2007 Spring FE champ. Then the Fall series will begin with the same blue print.

Questions worries or complaints lets do it here so we know whats on everyones mind.

There you. Drivers Kill your engines.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:39 PM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto View Post
Version 2.0
Here's the plan for version 2.0 of the FE challenge.

The Competition began last Monday the 9th at the end of Version 1.0. Team % EPA will be from that point. So Peak sorry we are already into the cycle. There have been some really good tanks from existing members and don't want to lose those.

Questions worries or complaints lets do it here so we know whats on everyones mind.
No need to apologize zpiloto, it's perfectly ok (with me at least). Does this mean that Feast & Famine's starting point is whatever our 90 day EPA % was on Monday, April 9th? I'm not a superstar with mathematics, so I have no idea what our starting point even is/was.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:47 PM   #3
Registered Member

2.0 Re-Cap and Rationale: Commissioner Statement

Alrighty there we have it.

To re-cap the major changes:
  • 42-day Cycle
  • Dropped drivers are addressed
  • 2 series per one-year: Warm weather and Cold Weather Months

I'm working on getting these typed-up officially into the Rules sticky. For accountability and audit-trail purposes, any edit to the rules thread, moving forward, will be explained in detail. Bear in mind this is a working document similar to a Charter or Constitution -- It can be Amended by the will of the partipants.

Rationale:
These guidelines were formed as new situations arose. Participants expressed concerns, unexpected instances came-up, and those have been addressed in the new version of the rules.

Accountability and History:
Zpiloto and MetroMPG (the "Framers") laid the foundation of the contest and its original rules. In the beginning, the intent was a friendly competition between 2 teams in the spirit of FE improvement. After the popularity grew, the 2 have graciously allowed others to join-in. Since then, we have witnessed the fun, challenge, education, and complexity of hypermiling. To have an impartial voice of all participants, the Commissioner position was created.

Role of the "Commissioner":
Since the 2 members are competitors and also the originators of the rules, the 2 members decided to employ a an impartial third-party to handle the added complexities of a multi-team competition. All proposed rules, disputes, calculations, penalties, and data are reviewed and approved/rejected by the Commissioner before any action is taken. Whether it be through polls, PMs, or open discussion in forums, collaboration between members, the Commissioner and the Framers are discussed (sometimes at length). The final decision lies with the Commissioner. The Framers are still very much involved in how the competition is directed; however, the Commissioner takes full responsibility for reviewing these intentions before they are finally enacted (and is in no way biased by these members). In other words, "blanket" control is given to no individual, and the interest of all participants is paramount. The Commissioner will make every effort to obtain the opinion of the majority before making an informed decision. If, for any reason, the Commissioner appears to be displaying bias, makes an error, or is not responding appropriately to concerns, members are encouraged to report the activity either openly in a thread, or privately to any Moderator, Framer, or the Site Administrator.

The Commissioner is also employed to calculate and publish the results based on submitted data. Team Captains (TCs) report updates directly to the Commissioner upon which this data is entered into a spreadsheet. Consistent calculations are kept and final results are reviewed by another member for accuracy before a cycle announcement. The current spreadsheet and explanation of its calculations are available to any member upon request.

The Commissioner position is not guaranteed to any member, and can be removed for irresponsible conduct or by voluntary retirement.

Disputes:
It is preferred that any objection be publically announced, but a private message to the Commissioner is also an option for privacy. Commissioner complaints can be directed as mentioned above.

Commissioner Statement:
Let's face it, I think we all know that I would make a lousy team member with my automatic Integra. Since I don't plan on competing, I was asked by the Framers to be an unbiased decision maker, participant contact, and tabulator of data. I will tell you that it is not easy taking polar-opposite suggestions from participants and making a final decision. Looking down the road, I can envision a solid competition with personal tank bests and a fair fight. I think the growing pains are subsiding and everyone can go back to focusing at their ScanGauges. In conclusion, just think about what we have here: an International Competition of Fuel Efficiency. In the 100-Meter Dash, we all ran faster with a competitor pushing us in the other lane. Now, we all can drive slower with that competitor in the lane, and save some fuel. At the end of the day, we can reflect on what we've learned and perhaps share that knowledge.

Let's keep FE "Fun and Educational".

RH77
Commissioner, GasSavers FE Team Challenge
Old 04-12-2007, 04:52 PM   #4
Registered Member

Team Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
No need to apologize zpiloto, it's perfectly ok (with me at least). Does this mean that Feast & Famine's starting point is whatever our 90 day EPA % was on Monday, April 9th? I'm not a superstar with mathematics, so I have no idea what our starting point even is/was.
Your participant's starting 90-day average was calculated from On-and-Including, Sunday April 8th. Any fills or performance on Monday (9th) or later are considered part of the competition's cycle. If you'd like, I can send you your starting averages, or publish them openly -- just let me know.

Best of luck!

The Commish
Old 04-12-2007, 05:22 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
Your participant's starting 90-day average was calculated from On-and-Including, Sunday April 8th. Any fills or performance on Monday (9th) or later are considered part of the competition's cycle. If you'd like, I can send you your starting averages, or publish them openly -- just let me know.

Best of luck!

The Commish
We need to publish all team averages openly. Look at the Stats and results page and use that for a blue print. That way everyone knows whats going on. I think we also need a new thread for results and stats for the 2007 spring series.

Peak I'm with you. I couldn't do the scoring with a death threat. I just drive slow , today and everyday.

Peak make sure your mates are using the new EPA averages found here
Old 04-12-2007, 08:25 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto View Post
We need to publish all team averages openly. Look at the Stats and results page and use that for a blue print. That way everyone knows whats going on. I think we also need a new thread for results and stats for the 2007 spring series.

Peak I'm with you. I couldn't do the scoring with a death threat. I just drive slow , today and everyday.

Peak make sure your mates are using the new EPA averages found here
Yes, definitely publish them openly. I'm dying to know what our starting point is at. I also double checked to make sure everyone has entered the new EPA ratings for their vehicle and it appears everyone is set to go . Have fun everyone.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:56 PM   #7
Registered Member

Arrow Feast and Famine Stats

Well alrighty -- here y'are:

Member ... EPA Combo MPG ... 90-Day Average ... %-over EPA

Peakster ... 40 ... 47.60 ... 19.0%
Kickflipjr ... 30 ... 37.36 ... 24.5%
Red ......... 15 ... 18.09 ... 20.6%
JanGeo .... 28 ... 39.77 ... 42.0%
Red91sit ... 19 ... 17.47 ... -8.1%
Overall: Team %-Over EPA Average ... 19.6%

-The Commish

PS...If there's a better way to go from Spreadsheet to Forum, please let me know...
Old 04-13-2007, 04:55 AM   #8
Registered Member

Maybe save the spreadsheet as a .prn file, which is space delimited, open the .prn with notepad, anc cut and paste from notepad to your post. Use a fixed width font like courier in your post. Mess with column widths to avoid truncation of wider columns.

Maybe?
Old 04-13-2007, 02:07 PM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
XML file?
Old 04-13-2007, 02:48 PM   #10
Registered Member

Just attached it

It turns out the easiest way to do report the results is to just attach the file.

So here it is (attached as a ZIP file).

Greyed-out members have dropped. Actual fill data (most) have been input for this first week under the newest dataset.

Let me know if you have any questions...

The Commish
Attached Files
File Type: zip Cycle2_gassavers-contest.ZIP (9.9 KB, 158 views)